Antec P180 Window question

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I have an Antec P180 and I want to cut a window in the side panel.

There is a problem tho, it is made with 3 components Aluminum>Plastic (1.5mm)>Aluminum (thick)
It apears to be very thick around 5mm or so.

With what Instrument should I cut it.

I do have a Craftsman rotary tool (or Dremel)

And maybe you have links for cuting a hole for windows.

Thnx for your help

don't know much about that case but you mentioned that it's multi-layered.

i'd say the best bet would be drill / jigsaw as opposed to dremel.

Drill a hole into the panel where a jigsaw blade can fit and cut around the outline of the window.

that way you can ensure getting all the layers all at once.

with a dremel, the cutting disk may not penetrate all the way through and then you'd have to make multiple passes from both sides of the panel which may result in an inconsistent cut pattern.

Dont need help anymore because I did the job my self and Instaled the window.

btw Rotary tool can cut anywhere and anything you want!!! The best tool ever!

Hard part in this project was instaling the window with that molding, geez it is pain in the A88...

Here are some pics of my Water cooled windowed Antec P180 :p

This is b4 instalation of the Radiator

And this is after

The nicely trimed hole

And the finish!

All this work was done with this Craftsman rotary tool :D

Now I will wait for Conroe E6600 to come out and I will build a nice PC :D

Thnx to all for your help (in my previous posts) and here.

It looks like you're going to have clearance issues with the radiator inside the case like that, what you could do instead is mount the rad up where the fans are and put the fans outside the case pulling air through, although that could also not look so good, but that's just what I think based on the pics, but good job making that window. I also have a p180 case and would like to "improve" the airflow of the fans by cutting out the pre-stamped fan cover things in the case frame, what bit did you use for cutting the metal on the top of the case?

Thnx, and yes I know it will take up first and half of second bays but the secOnd top I will put a X-Fi bay, which is very short and I think it will fit just nicely.

Nice I'm about to do something like that.. did you use a cutting disk for that? Sorry just bought a Dremel and kind of getting used to.

filthysanchez said:
where’d you get that trim around the window at?

Looks like it came with the kit he said he purchased a few posts up.

Nice job on the window, I think I'll be trying the same thing when I get my P180b later this year. Although I'm going to make the window larger I think.. but nothing is set in stone yet, never know what kinda cases will be released between now and then. :cool:

:(

P180's are never really the best candidate for cutting windows, aiming for silence and whatnot, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered it for my next build. But the window trim?

I really don't like it, I imagined something frameless. Either some glue or double sided tape to hold the sucker on. I suppose this way means you don't have to see the aluminium -> plastic -> aluminium layering going on in the middle.

Kudos for having the balls to chop up such a pretty (in my most humble opinion) case.

Dave

purplepencil said:

P180's are never really the best candidate for cutting windows, aiming for silence and whatnot, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered it for my next build. But the window trim?

I really don't like it, I imagined something frameless. Either some glue or double sided tape to hold the sucker on. I suppose this way means you don't have to see the aluminium -> plastic -> aluminium layering going on in the middle.

Kudos for having the balls to chop up such a pretty (in my most humble opinion) case.

Dave

Oh i had to get a window, i will have watercooling in there... 3 blocks and 2 radiators and some nice stuf (as u can see it in my sig)

All fans are red leds, plus a Metheor light will be instaled.

I'll have pictures or an Open worklog by this Saturday I hope...my parts should be shipped out from monarch on Thursday....gosh it took them ages to do that....ordered on 25th......

Just thought you would like to know your post came up when I Googled "p180 window". Nice job, btw. Any more pics?

Hehe ^^^

I also got it by googling it. I'm looking to buy one, the problem is i want a large window in it, but I live in Canada, it makes all these special companies like the custom pcs stuff cost a fortune.

Back