AMD Dual Core Optimizer Utility

If you run the MS supplied "hot fix" and AMD's cpu driver......even if you don't use CnC.....you should not have any issues. I don't at all. Far Cry and Q1 ran a bit jerky and tried to run in fast forward until I applied those two patches. Smooth as hot butter now. I don't set affinity for anything, no special software, etc.

Tried it in HL2, BF2, and Oblivion. I coulda swore HL2 seemed to run smoother, but probably placebo effect.

Ran 3DMark06 and noticed no diff on CPU test scores. I have the MS hotfix applied as well. Whatever, doesn't seem to hurt anything so might as well run with it.

this will fix software that uses a certain old OS timer that gets messed up by dual core features.

putting /usepmtimer in your boot.ini will also force the use of the modern dual core aware timer that allows software to work without weird timing issues.

so... I guess if you just want a one stop fix without needing an MS hotfix and/or boot.ini switches, this would be good.

smart of AMD, but a little late.

Nice, it enabled the reverse hyperthreading on my dual core Sempron. Bitchin' download thanks guys

How do you make the leap that this utility is Reverse HT, when the readme says: "AMD Dual-Core Optimizer utility synchronizes Time Stamp Counter (TSC) MSRs on AMD Dual-Core Processors."?

Dude my super pi time got reduced to 16s on 1M with my Sempron X2. This finally put AMD on level playing field with Core 2 Duo. This is ultra fresh.

robberbaron said:
Dude my super pi time got reduced to 16s on 1M with my Sempron X2. This finally put AMD on level playing field with Core 2 Duo. This is ultra fresh.

waffles

robberbaron said:

Dude, it let me OC my Opteron 165 to 4.0 GHz. I got a Super Pi time of 5 seconds. :D

robberbaron said:
OPTIMIZER

It probably optomized the ammount of voltage the core needs to be stable. Pretty impressive, no? Currently running at 1.05 Volts.

I installed it, and I was treated to a locked up system shortly after boot. I had to boot to Safe Mode and do a system restore. Not sure what was wrong with my system to make it not work with it, since it seems it works on everyone elses.

robberbaron said:
Nice, it enabled the reverse hyperthreading on my dual core Sempron. Bitchin' download thanks guys
Another thumbs up for this utility.

It converted my A64 X2 to a 4x4 system. Nanites, I think.

Tried it on mine and its become a dog , so people do not try it on a single core.

You guys are getting some awsome results!
I can't imagine what it can it do to my K6-2 ! ! ! !
3DNowX2 here I come!
I'll probubly get Lots more exclmation marks and CapS !!!

jcll2002 said:
i cant tell if people are sarcastic...should I install it?

My guess would be it just makes programs that used to mess up the CNQ run a little less buggy and if you arent using CNQ it wont do anything.

I've got an opteron 146, I downloaded this thing and it unlocked 8 cores!! BF2 runs at 600 fps now!

Met-AL said:
I installed it, and I was treated to a locked up system shortly after boot. I had to boot to Safe Mode and do a system restore. Not sure what was wrong with my system to make it not work with it, since it seems it works on everyone elses.

I had the same problem as you. I have not get any of the fixes installed, though I do have the beta 91.31 nvidia drivers installed, which have Multi-Thread support in the driver.
I think I will try removing the beta driver and got back to the 88.61 driver.
What do you guys think?

For you everquest players, it fixes it. no longer need to set an affinity...

Well, I tried going back to the 84.31 driver but it made no difference.
You guys that have it working with no problems, do you have any of the other fixes installed, like the AMD CPU Driver and/or the MS Hotfix?

morpheus9394 said:
I had the same problem as you. I have not get any of the fixes installed, though I do have the beta 91.31 nvidia drivers installed, which have Multi-Thread support in the driver.
I think I will try removing the beta driver and got back to the 88.61 driver.
What do you guys think?

I reinstalled it and it the same thing happened. So I rebooted a couple of times and now it is working properly. It did fix one game that I was having problems with, Serious Sam the 2nd Encounter.

nooh said:
Tried it on mine and its become a dog , so people do not try it on a single core.

Why would you use it on a single core? It's like installing catalyst drivers for your GeForce 7900GT and hoping to get something out of it.

Met-AL said:
I reinstalled it and it the same thing happened. So I rebooted a couple of times and now it is working properly. It did fix one game that I was having problems with, Serious Sam the 2nd Encounter.

Good news. I will reinstall the fix and try again.

Just installed on Windows x64, and everything seems to work ok. I don't notice any performance difference though.

Doesnt install for me. Well, it installs, asked me to reboot, then comes up and says it cant find a file. I browsed where I installed it too, even extracted the file, no idea where this file it wants is. Im on x64 XP.

If you're looking for amdtools.sys, it's in the WINDOWS\system32\drivers directory.

Back