What to look forward to later this year (Yes, LED!)

Kliter

Limp Gawd
AU Optronics (AUO) will launch a series of widescreen panels in the second half of 2006 to pad out its widescreen panel line up, the company said.

AUO will introduce 20- and 22-inch TN mode widescreen panels and a 24-inch widescreen panel with 92% NTSC color gamut in the third quarter, with a 24-inch widescreen panel featuring LED backlighting to be produced in the fourth quarter. The maker said that it began volume production of 19- and 24-inch widescreen panels in the second quarter.

The widescreen segment is a major focus for AUO this year. The company will introduce a variety of widescreen panels in 2006, with sizes including 19-, 20-, 22-, 24- and 26-inches. Not only will the company improve performance across the board in areas such as contrast and brightness, but it will also introduce LED backlighting and improve the color saturation with a new cold-cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL) backlit widescreen model.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060706PR206.html

led backlighting, sweet, will last longer and have much less bleeding.. gimme

There already is an LED backlit monitor. Its the NEC LCD2180WG-LED. It covers 107% of the adobe gammut. It retails for $6000.

NEC is currently working on a less expensive LED monitor also.

Also the panel does not have anything to do with the backlighting of the auctual monitor. The NEC LED uses the exact same panel as the regular CCFL lit 2180 LCD.

In a few moths NEC will also have a 24 inch and 26 inch wide LCD with the improved CCFL's you are talking about that cover 92% of the adobe gammut.

If you have any questions in regards to either of these monitors please feel free to ask me. I work for NEC currently.

Yeah, OK. I'll be happy only when I see it given a SKU, until then its pie in the sky to me.

travbomb said:
There already is an LED backlit monitor. Its the NEC LCD2180WG-LED. It covers 107% of the adobe gammut. It retails for $6000.

NEC is currently working on a less expensive LED monitor also.

Also the panel does not have anything to do with the backlighting of the auctual monitor. The NEC LED uses the exact same panel as the regular CCFL lit 2180 LCD.

In a few moths NEC will also have a 24 inch and 26 inch wide LCD with the improved CCFL's you are talking about that cover 92% of the adobe gammut.

If you have any questions in regards to either of these monitors please feel free to ask me. I work for NEC currently.

What about a 20'/21' wide LCD with the improved CCFL and LED?

And estimating, how expensive will the 24' and 26' models you speak of cost?

And what's the "less expensive LED monitor" you are referring to?

Thanks

The less expensive LED is still in the product development stages over in Japan.

The pricing for the 26 and 24 inch models with the improved CCFL's are below.

LCD2690 = $1450

LCD2490 = $1250

NEC does not have any plans for a 20/21 inch wide planned with the new CCFL's.

I would like to see the following:

26"+ panel size
1080P+ native res
DVI-D w/HDCP (for a HTPC)
HDMI 1.3 w/HDCP (for a PS3)
LED backlighting
sub $2,000 price range

Tell your R&D guys! ;)

travbomb said:
The less expensive LED is still in the product development stages over in Japan.

The pricing for the 26 and 24 inch models with the improved CCFL's are below.

LCD2690 = $1450

LCD2490 = $1250

NEC does not have any plans for a 20/21 inch wide planned with the new CCFL's.
Heh, then count me un-interested.

mike_j_johnson said:
I would like to see the following:

26"+ panel size
1080P+ native res
DVI-D w/HDCP (for a HTPC)
HDMI 1.3 w/HDCP (for a PS3)
LED backlighting
sub $2,000 price range

Tell your R&D guys! ;)

I will let Japan know first thing. Not likely we will see LED sub $3000 or so for a while and an LED for $3000 is not likely for sometime. Anything 26 inch or above will be 1920 x 1200 for the most part though so your 1080P is covered.

Do LED displays suffer from the same problems as LCDs, as in they can't go outside the native resolution?

The question of the hour is when will LCD's or LED over take the CRT ?

I am thinking at least 2-3 years

You know what would be incredibly cool? If the LEDs were controlled individually in a grid of LEDs, and somebody invented a standard for conveying High Dynamic Range data to the monitor... so the monitor could actually make some parts of the screen more backlit so when you looked at the sun in an HDR game, it would actually be backlit more severely than darker objects. That would be so ridiculously convincing.

Can someone please list the advantages/disadvantages of LED LCDs compared to conventional LCDs?

LED vs Flourecent.

Increased color gamut is the main one.

Unless they have a grid of indivicually controlable LED's that can boost dynamic range considerably. This is a VERY expensive option. The only screen I saw with this was $15000.

Doesn't help: Lag, blur, viewing angles, resolution scaling. IOW most of the things wrong with LCD.

si0dine said:
Can someone please list the advantages/disadvantages of LED LCDs compared to conventional LCDs?
Much better color saturation / accuracy / quality
And it eliminates backlighting bleeding

EDIT: Oh, and offers much higher contrast ratio, too

UnrealCpu said:
The question of the hour is when will LCD's or LED over take the CRT ?

I am thinking at least 2-3 years

LCD's have overtaken CRT's as far as sales go. When will CRT's be completely out of production?? I would say a year or so. Our CRT line will be down to 3 models by the January 07. Although we do oversell our forcasting constantly in CRT's.

As of right now NEC does not have plans to release a 22 inch AS-IPS or any 22 or inch for that matter. I will keep you posted if anything changes with this.

si0dine said:

also, I believe LED backlighting uses more energy and consequently generate more heat.

travbomb said:
LCD's have overtaken CRT's as far as sales go. When will CRT's be completely out of production?? I would say a year or so. Our CRT line will be down to 3 models by the January 07. Although we do oversell our forcasting constantly in CRT's.

As of right now NEC does not have plans to release a 22 inch AS-IPS or any 22 or inch for that matter. I will keep you posted if anything changes with this.

I just went ahead and ordered a G520k SGI Trinitron
:D :D

LCD tech is not even close to crt when it comes to gamming

UnrealCpu said:
I just went ahead and ordered a G520k SGI Trinitron
:D :D

LCD tech is not even close to crt when it comes to gamming

That may be true but the Trinitron and Diamondtron tubes have been out of production for almost two years so it is close to impossible to find any good gaming CRT's that are new with an appeture grill tube.

Will the LCD 2690 and LCD 2490 be spectraviewII supported? Also, if I have 2 SpectraviewII supported monitors am I required to buy 2 licenses of the SpectraviewII software.? thanks

travbomb said:
That may be true but the Trinitron and Diamondtron tubes have been out of production for almost two years so it is close to impossible to find any good gaming CRT's that are new with an appeture grill tube.

check out accurate it services for new SGI monitors

I just ordered one

Do people laugh at you when they come to your house, look at your leet rig, then watch you turn on your monitor?

DarkStar02 said:
Do people laugh at you when they come to your house, look at your leet rig, then watch you turn on your monitor?

no they laugh at themselves and wonder why they spent 800 dollars for a 2407

No argument here. I bought and quickly sold the 24" 2405 because it killed my eyes among other things (poor viewing angles, motion smear, input lag....).

I have a Refurb trinitron sitting on my desk. The picture is so much better than LCD unless you are enamored with seeing individual pixels. Saving $600+ was also nice...

interpolator said:
Will the LCD 2690 and LCD 2490 be spectraviewII supported? Also, if I have 2 SpectraviewII supported monitors am I required to buy 2 licenses of the SpectraviewII software.? thanks

Yes both will support the Spectraview II for the 90 Series. If you have it for the 80 series you will have to buy new software since it was written especially for the 90 series product.

Travbomb,

Thanks for the usefull info, here and on dpreview.

What kind of panel is in the new 24" as I can't stand the angular tone shifting in VA tech screens. I have Zero interest in the 26" screen as the pixel pitch is just too huge for my needs. I find even the 24" has kind of coarse pitch. I would actually prefer 23" IPS based screen, but I assume the 24" kills that out of production. I assume these are all 1920x1200.

Sluuut said:
Does anyone knows if LED panels will have Input Lag?

No difference.

It is a light source. It will not change the basic characteristics of the Panel. Initial version like the NEC only really affect color gamut.

I would bet that the $6000 NEC doesn't switch LEDs individually to offer dynamic range benefits.

Stage 1: LEDs used as alternate light source, but not controlled in a matrix to get better dynamic range.
Benefit: Extended color range (gamut).

Stage 2: LEDs used in a backing matrix of hundreds (thousands) of individually controllable units.
Additional Benefit: You switch the backlight on for only the section of the screen that needs it. Thus drastically improving dynamic range, getting rid of backlight bleed.

Stage 2 will be another added expense on top of just getting the color gamut benefits by using them as a light source. Not only that, but the idea is likely patented and that would mean more expensive monitors for anyone wanting to do it. I don't think this will be in the consumer space for quite some time.

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=12802223&src=eDialog/GetContent

According to this article, LG philips is losing money in their Q2 earning report, (hey I don't care neither) but LG philips said price will continue to drop.

said it expected a further slide in panel prices despite rising shipments, while many analysts do not expect a turnaround before the end of the year.

Price competition has crushed margins at liquid crystal display (LCD) makers and forced LG.Philips to scale back output.

poor led baclightning will cause uneven luminance, but it will probably not be the case with the major retailers.

Snowdog said:
No argument here. I bought and quickly sold the 24" 2405 because it killed my eyes among other things (poor viewing angles, motion smear, input lag....).

I have a Refurb trinitron sitting on my desk. The picture is so much better than LCD unless you are enamored with seeing individual pixels. Saving $600+ was also nice...

do you game by sitting on the side of the monitor?

samsung is also going to release a nice 24" LED LCD - MSRP $5000.

I'll stick with non LED till LED reaches normal prices.

Liver said:
do you game by sitting on the side of the monitor?

If it were only that simple. The viewing angles are so bad, that if you are dead center, the sides are washing out. Heck just look at the grey bars on this forum, washed out shine though on the sides(when perfectly centered). Further to that the washout is actually different to each eye and this causes glare/false 3d effect(not in a good way) that is also distracting. It was only one of a host of issues. CRT is just better, in almost every way that matters. I hope I get years out of my trinitron, because I think it will take years before the alternatives will satisfy me.

I am even thinking about getting another trinitron for backup.

Snowdog said:
If it were only that simple. The viewing angles are so bad, that if you are dead center, the sides are washing out. Heck just look at the grey bars on this forum, washed out shine though on the sides(when perfectly centered). Further to that the washout is actually different to each eye and this causes glare/false 3d effect(not in a good way) that is also distracting. It was only one of a host of issues. CRT is just better, in almost every way that matters. I hope I get years out of my trinitron, because I think it will take years before the alternatives will satisfy me.

I am even thinking about getting another trinitron for backup.

CRTs are better in every possible way except weight, size, power consumption, heat production, geometry, brightness, per pixel accuracy, and color saturation. I, for one, couldn't stand the lines that extended across my NEC Diamondtron. I also couldn't stand straight lines that tended to bend near the edges of the "flat screen." Not to mention the size of that 22" inch beast. I either had to sit 4" from the screen or move my desk out from against the wall and have a foot of wasted space. I will admit, LCDs definitely have their shortcomings. I returned 2 due to motion blur. The 2001fp was the first LCD I could really game with and tolerate. As far as I'm concerned, it looks much more vibrant and accurate (geometry-wise anyway) than the Diamondtron ever did. Squares are squares again. But hey, to each their own.

BigDH01 said:
CRTs are better in every possible way except weight, size, power consumption, heat production, geometry, brightness, per pixel accuracy, and color saturation. I, for one, couldn't stand the lines that extended across my NEC Diamondtron. I also couldn't stand straight lines that tended to bend near the edges of the "flat screen." Not to mention the size of that 22" inch beast. I either had to sit 4" from the screen or move my desk out from against the wall and have a foot of wasted space. I will admit, LCDs definitely have their shortcomings. I returned 2 due to motion blur. The 2001fp was the first LCD I could really game with and tolerate. As far as I'm concerned, it looks much more vibrant and accurate (geometry-wise anyway) than the Diamondtron ever did. Squares are squares again. But hey, to each their own.

How much is that is image quality related? Yup CRTs are bigger and consumer more power. As far as heat they make more (because they consume more power) but it comes out the back. The screen remains cool. The 2405 screen actually radiated heat out the front.

I can't believe someone is seriously complaining about the two trinitron lines when praising LCD. My 2405 had 1200 lines that were more visible than the Trinitron lines. Ever hear of Screen Door Effect?

I don't know how you set up your screen and what could be wrong with a diamondtron. I have 21" Sony based Trinitrons at home and at work, straight lines do not bend. The screen is 4:3 and I run at 1600x1200 so squares are square. Geometry issues like flicker issues are overrated red herring if you have a decent screen and set it up properly.

Brightness?? CRT is plenty bright. 2405 was too bright. Even turned down to zero. Also LCD look like Butt when you turn them down. CRT adjust gracefully. I also use my screen to watch movies/TV in the dark. Where it still delivers deep blacks and not the washout grey of LCD.

There is a reason why hardcore videophiles are still searching for something to replace the quality of CRT, it has the best overall image quality bar none. But it is big and heavy.

For me image quality matters much more than size/weight. I don't move my screen enough for that to matter.

I wanted to like LCD. Splurged for the 24" Dell. But in the end it was such a dissapointment that I wish they still made Trinitrons so I wouldn't feel the need to get a backup.

Snowdog said:
How much is that is image quality related? Yup CRTs are bigger and consumer more power. As far as heat they make more (because they consume more power) but it comes out the back. The screen remains cool. The 2405 screen actually radiated heat out the front.

I can't believe someone is seriously complaining about the two trinitron lines when praising LCD. My 2405 had 1200 lines that were more visible than the Trinitron lines. Ever hear of Screen Door Effect?

I don't know how you set up your screen and what could be wrong with a diamondtron. I have 21" Sony based Trinitrons at home and at work, straight lines do not bend. The screen is 4:3 and I run at 1600x1200 so squares are square. Geometry issues like flicker issues are overrated red herring if you have a decent screen and set it up properly.

Brightness?? CRT is plenty bright. 2405 was too bright. Even turned down to zero. Also LCD look like Butt when you turn them down. CRT adjust gracefully. I also use my screen to watch movies/TV in the dark. Where it still delivers deep blacks and not the washout grey of LCD.

There is a reason why hardcore videophiles are still searching for something to replace the quality of CRT, it has the best overall image quality bar none. But it is big and heavy.

For me image quality matters much more than size/weight. I don't move my screen enough for that to matter.

I wanted to like LCD. Splurged for the 24" Dell. But in the end it was such a dissapointment that I wish they still made Trinitrons so I wouldn't feel the need to get a backup.

you are such a hard core videophile. I concede.

Snowdog said:
The 2405 screen actually radiated heat out the front.

I can't believe someone is seriously complaining about the two trinitron lines when praising LCD. My 2405 had 1200 lines that were more visible than the Trinitron lines. 2405 was too bright. Even turned down to zero. Also LCD look like Butt when you turn them down. Splurged for the 24" Dell.

Dude, you keep repeating that same tune, get over the 2405. I had it too, it's a POS. You picked the worst LCD to compare against the CRTs (there's a reason people were buying 2405s for less than $600). I still have two Sony Trinitrons (G400s, six years old though) and the Dell 3007 owns them easily on anything, especially on focus. The difference is just huge. I'd *never* go back to CRT...

Back