How do you pronounce Thermaltake?

How do you pronounce Thermaltake?

• Thermal-TAAK (long A, E at end is silent)

Votes: 91 66.4%
  • Thermal-tahkee (pronouncing long E at the end)

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Something else.

Votes: 31 22.6%

• Total voters

agrikk

Gawd
We're having an argument here at work and have only seen the word on web pages, never spoken.

My thinking goes that it's a heat sink, so it's Thermal-take, like it's taking thermal away, blah blah blah.

Someone else says that it's an asian company (no idea if it is or isn't), so it should be pronounced thermal-tahkee.

Whatever. Bored on a Friday afternoon at work. :D :D

Well when I used to call my rep at Thermaltake, they always answered the phones with the pronunciation using the long A silent E...

regardless of how its supposed to be pronounced in China or wherever...

IN AMERICA ITS

THERMAL.

TAKE.

thermal take...this is one of the easier ones i think. Not as bad as Asus, now that one you get some weird ones with

Coo ler mas ter.

Just kidding. Thermal-Take.

What a ridiculously wierd post...but kinda funny cuz I am bored at work too. Anyways, it isn't some fuckin japanese sounding BS. Just like it's read THERMALTAKE NOT TAKI

oh man.. I had this same arguement about Canopus before.. lol. If you are wondering, the people at Canopus say it is pronounced: cuh - noe - piss. You have to say it fast though, almost like you are starting to say the word canoe, but don't make the long "o" sound.. its a short "o", then just a "piss" on the end like you are taking a piss. :p

Bbq said:
Coo ler mas ter.

Just kidding. Thermal-Take.

hahaha... that made me laugh out loud.

isn't it pretty straightforward? it's just two normal english words, combined..

LOL who the hell would pronounce it thermal tah-kee? That's *almost* as dumb as people who say "nook-yah-lar" ;)

Seriously though, it's obviously thermal-take. The people who think it's thermal-tah-kee because it's asian haven't reasoned this line of thought out to it's logical conclusion. Naming a heatsink company "Thermal Take" because "it take away thermal" sounds like exactly the sort of shitty Engrish translation that seems to be prevalent over there. Even if the eastern company people call it "thermal tah-kee," it's only because they're mis-pronouncing the english words.

Thus, my argument is correct because I say so ;)

Sabrewulf165 said:
LOL who the hell would pronounce it thermal tah-kee?

Seriously though, it's obviously thermal-take. The people who think it's thermal-tah-kee because it's asian haven't reasoned this line of thought out to it's logical conclusion. Naming a heatsink company "Thermal Take" because "it take away thermal" sounds like exactly the sort of shitty Engrish translation that seems to be prevalent over there. Even if the eastern company people call it "thermal tah-kee," it's only because they're mis-pronouncing the english words.

QFT, before i read this thread, i never knew there was any other way to say 'thur-mul-take'. :p

furiousfords89 said:
QFT, before i read this thread, i never knew there was any other way to say 'thur-mul-take'. :p

Its for sure Take, like cake or take-out...If it were tah-ke, it would be spelled like Saki (taki).

haha i never thought this would come up......kinda like the most mis pronounced word, i belive its epitome. People that first glance at it always say Epi-tome ...but its actually Epi-to-me.

even thermaltake is less confusing than tomato...why is this even up for debate?

How the fuck can you argue over this, its just 2 words made one. THERMAL. TAKE.

you wouldnt fucking say, "TAHKAY a drink of this soda"

FUCK!

Sabrewulf165 said:
LOL who the hell would pronounce it thermal tah-kee? That's *almost* as dumb as people who say "nook-yah-lar" ;)

Thus, my argument is correct because I say so ;)

just like how some american people pronounce nissan nee-saan and mitsubishi meet-soo-bi-shi

anyways i would say just Thermal-Take

Faction said:
regardless of how its supposed to be pronounced in China or wherever...

IN AMERICA ITS

THERMAL.

TAKE.

That makes no sense.

If it was made under a Chinese dialect, it being a NAME, the proper pronunciation is however the Chinese say it, whether your Australian, Japanese, English, or American.

If the creator of the world says it's "Themooo-tiakye" then that's the correct pronunciation, even if ignorant people are too lazy to make the effort.

Akin to Guillamo, Jorge.

I love when dolts speak for all Americans. Makes us look fantastic.

It doesn't really matter what anything is called, all language does is represent something tangible, or intangible, to make a common association with what is being talked about. Either pronounciation is fine so long as the listener understands what you're speaking about.

For example, if you thought Thermaltake was shitty and so did your audience, you could refer to it as "the shit company" and everyone would know what you were speaking of. On the other hand, if both the speaker and audience believed Thermaltake was the best company in the world, it could be referred to as "the best company on the planet." Neither of these references is even close to "Thermaltake," yet both would be understood in these scenarios.

Language is a tool for commonplace, nothing more. I call it thermal-take, you can call it thermal-tahkee if you want, just make sure the person you're talking to knows what you're talking about.

Highlife said:
If it were tah-ke, it would be spelled like Saki (taki).
Are you sure? Why couldn't it be take, like sake (the rice wine)? "Taki" would be ta-kee, with a long e, like "key". "Take" would be "ta-keh", like the beginning of "cage".

But it's not a Japanese company, anyway.

mrjminer said:
Either pronounciation is fine so long as the listener understands what you're speaking about.
I suppose. But using the correct pronunciation (and correct spelling, and grammar) increase the odds that you'll be understood.

mrjminer said:
It doesn't really matter what anything is called, all language does is represent something tangible, or intangible, to make a common association with what is being talked about. Either pronounciation is fine so long as the listener understands what you're speaking about.

For example, if you thought Thermaltake was shitty and so did your audience, you could refer to it as "the shit company" and everyone would know what you were speaking of. On the other hand, if both the speaker and audience believed Thermaltake was the best company in the world, it could be referred to as "the best company on the planet." Neither of these references is even close to "Thermaltake," yet both would be understood in these scenarios.

Language is a tool for commonplace, nothing more. I call it thermal-take, you can call it thermal-tahkee if you want, just make sure the person you're talking to knows what you're talking about.

That's fine and dandy untli you come to the realization that we're referring to a NAME - not a noun.

If I told you my Japanese name, you couldn't pronounce it, so I'd tell you my name is Steve.

That's not butchering my name and calling me Sacajuwaeah when it's Sung-hjae and saying "it's somewhat alike, so you know what I mean."

It happens - that doesn't mean it's correct or how "Every American" says it.

An incorrect pronunciation of a name is incorrect. Case closed.

itsmikey said:
If I told you my Japanese name, you couldn't pronounce it, so I'd tell you my name is Steve.
You have the same problem as I.
My real name is Steve but so many people screw it up that I introduce myself as "Thermaltake".
My preferred pronunciation is "The Ermalt akeee".

Most folks get the hang of it right away.
My friends call me Kandalf, I have no idea why.

itsmikey said:
That's fine and dandy untli you come to the realization that we're referring to a NAME - not a noun.

That's not butchering my name and calling me Sacajuwaeah when it's Sung-hjae and saying "it's somewhat alike, so you know what I mean."

It happens - that doesn't mean it's correct or how "Every American" says it.

An incorrect pronunciation of a name is incorrect. Case closed.

seeing how every Japanese letter is pronounced a certain way, I don't know why people have such a hard time pronouncing them =P

Asian Dub Foundation said:
thermal then take

ta-ke?!?! your friend japanese?!

No, just misinformed. :D

Man I love these forums.

I posted this thread a few days ago, never expecting to get more than one or two votes before this thread slid into oblivion and voila, here's the second page of this discussion.

What? Why would the name be one English word, pronounced in english, followed by a non-English word, pronounced as it would be by someone to whom that language was native? And why "take"?

mikeblas said:
Are you sure? Why couldn't it be take, like sake (the rice wine)? "Taki" would be ta-kee, with a long e, like "key". "Take" would be "ta-keh", like the beginning of "cage".

But it's not a Japanese company, anyway.

In japanese its spelled different but both mean the same thing. It can be spelled Sake to japanese but in english it will be Saki. I looked up the reason why they do this and its because our use of the english language tends to mislead people cause we have a word that is spelled the same, but is pronounced differently. Any time ive been to a sushi place, ive always seen it as Saki. To many people will think that Sake is take with a S in the front.

Since the company is not Japanese there is no doubt that the way to say it is Thermal-Take. Just like we say cake. (hence why its Saki instead Sake).

Now im not Japanese, but have a few Japanese in my family....my father side is all Chinese, but a few japanese mix in there by marriage. Next time i have a family dinner i will ask how its correctly spelled in both languages.

Highlife said:
In japanese its spelled different but both mean the same thing.

Huh? In Japanese, sake is "spelled" with a kanji: 酒. The furigana would be さけ. When in Japanese is it spelled differently?

"Saki" is the incorrect romanization of 酒. Either in the Hepburn system or in kunrei-shiki, it's transliterated "saki".

mikeblas said:
Huh? In Japanese, sake is "spelled" with a kanji: 酒. The furigana would be さけ. When in Japanese is it spelled differently?

"Saki" is the incorrect romanization of 酒. Either in the Hepburn system or in kunrei-shiki, it's transliterated "saki".

Yes, since i dont speak Japanese, i thought when i looked it up that Kanji and furigana variations are 2 different spellings. Like i said before, i dont speak it , just telling you how i saw it when i looked it up.

However, ive never seen it written out as Sake, its always Saki on the menu's.

Highlife said:
However, ive never seen it written out as Sake, its always Saki on the menu's.
What that teaches us is that menus aren't a good reference for foreign words.

is this thread a joke?

if not, wow.

the answer = you put together the two english words "thermal" and "take".

why would it be anything else? what does "thermal" mean in japanese? nothing. so, why would it be "thermal tah-kee"?

idiocy.

Back