An interview with a Moose

tdg

2[H]4U
Sorry to keep you guys waiting, here it is. The one, the only, the AtomicMoose interview for being the [H] DC'er for June :cool:

Tdg: Well congratulations on being chosen the [H] DC'er of the month, how does it feel to (finally) be chosen for this award?

AtomicMoose: Well, as I have always said, I was not here for the awards, but it is nice to be recognized by your peers....I sound like Anderu.

Tdg: I'm sure deep down inside you've been chomping at the bit to win, you can admit it.

AtomicMoose: It is nice, that is true. This is a great bunch and I am happy to be here.

Tdg: Definitely is a great bunch of folks. We all know you as being the moderator of the DC subforums, but why do you think you were chosen this time for the award?

AtomicMoose: I really have no idea. Pity, I guess.

Tdg: Pity, keeping us inline, Mary abuse, in the end you still win huh?

AtomicMoose: Yeah, LOL....Marty keeps be busy. But it is all part of the job. Truth be told, he isn't that bad, he just likes us all to think he is.

Tdg: That’s true; when I interviewed him he was a pretty normal guy... kinda. But back to you, your biggest contribution is obviously being the Mod of the subforums, what's it like keeping tabs over all of us peons?

AtomicMoose: Actually, compared to the other forums I mod, DC is a cake walk. This is where I come to relax and just be one of the guys. I get to be a nice guy here, although some don't see it that way. If DC was run the way the rest of the forums are, no one would be able to post....including me. And that’s the best part. DC is a nice place for the team to hang out, and get to know one another, blow off steam, and be silly. Just not TOO silly.

Tdg: It does seem to be an easy subforum to mod, together for a common cause doesn't have the conflict and drama the other subforums experience.

AtomicMoose: So true. PPU is a prime example of that....but we are not here to talk about them.

Tdg: Let's not, that forum is drama central.

AtomicMoose: Indeed. LOL.

Tdg: So tell us about your actual distributed computing contributions, which projects do you participate in?

AtomicMoose: When I started, I was mainly involved in F@H. I came to the team just as G@H was ending, so I never got to participate in that. I was previously involved in SETI, but that was boring. I don't really care if there are aliens, as they clearly don't care about us. Then, I got involved in Find-a-Drug, but that project fizzled out....I think I only had one machine running it. Then, I took a break. When I came back to DC, I ran F@H again, and then my interest in UD was peaked. I know have a total of 45 machines running UD, and I am really enjoying being able to contribute to that project along with F@H.

Tdg: Wow, so you've tried just about everything, and the aliens comment is the funniest I've heard so far, but I wholeheartedly agree. So UD is your primary focus right now?

AtomicMoose: Yes. I can't run F@H at work, or else I would split my resources more evenly. It is also nice to be the teams #1 producer for UD, although I have a loooong way to go to match the likes of Anderu, and the rest of the front runners. Some day I'll get there.

Tdg: Yes, we've all seen you pimping your stats.

AtomicMoose: Hahah. I am shameless.

Tdg: But hey, a big producer is something to gloat about.

AtomicMoose: Well, I was never much of a braggart, but it takes a lot of work to keep these machines going, and I am proud of that.

Tdg: Indeed it's something to be proud of, what kind of production are you averaging in the projects you're participating in?

AtomicMoose: Well, in UD I was at about 20K PPD, but with these newer chewy units, it has started to fluctuate. In F@H, I average about 200 PPD, but I just added another machine last night, so hopefully that number will go up a bit.

Tdg: Not too shabby, and how many computers total are DC'ing?

AtomicMoose: About 50. Mostly corporate borgs.

Tdg: The advantages of working at a midsize business, what are the stats on the borgs?

AtomicMoose: Most of the borgs are all 2.4 GHz P4's. Some of the newer machines are 3.0Ghz HT P4's. Home machines are older. No money for upgrades.

Tdg: Isn't that the truth, but tell us what they are anyway, tell us what's in the Moosecave!

AtomicMoose: Oh lord.....ok, a P4 1.8GHz Laptop, a Centrino 1.5 GHz Laptop, and a PIII 1 GHz PC, OC'ed to 1.3 GHz. I had another water cooled machine as well, but the darn thing started leaking and I haven't had the time/money to fix it.

Tdg: That's not too bad; at least they're not sitting idle.

AtomicMoose: Never! The machines that I have for sale, were supposed to be for a nice little farm, but the money is just not there to finish the project, so I am unloading them to fellow folders at a loss to get them running. As well as the rack I sold, the UPS’s, etc...

Tdg: Yeah I saw your thread on all those parts, I don't have the money or space either. But hey you'll make it up with Karma points.

AtomicMoose: HAHA, true.

Tdg: So what’s your vision for the future of the Distributed Computing subforum, and DC in general?

AtomicMoose: Wow, that is a big question... Well, I really want both projects to keep chugging along. We have some ground to make up in UD since we neglected it for some time. I believe we are in 10th place, so I would like to see that improve. F@H is just an exciting thing right now. The race with the Aussies keeps things fun, but we can never slack off. We are in a state of alarm right now as our lead is shrinking very quickly. My hope is that with the new blood on the team, and some of our old members ramping that we can push the overtake date back 'till September when our school borgs and such come back into play. If we can do that, there is no stopping us! Mwuhahahaha......*ahem* sorry. As far as DC in general, we need cures. Plain and simple. I have lost too many a family members to Alzheimer’s and cancer....It has to stop. I won't stop until I am dead, or cancer is.

Tdg: That's the spirit! I plan on DC for cures just as long as things need to be cured, I've had several family members who had close calls with cancer, and I'm tired of it.

AtomicMoose: It is a long battle....but we'll get there.

Tdg: And now that I have a child, its all the more reason, I don't want him to ever have to suffer with it. Eventually we will.

AtomicMoose: Same here...my daughter has put a whole new fire in me. We must never stop....never.

Tdg: Agreed, until there’s nothing to fold for anymore. Are there any new secret covert operations underway for the DC subforums? Any new incentives or other projects?

AtomicMoose: There is always something covert going on... p[H]ant0m and I are always trying to keep things fresh. We have enlisted the help of a few of the more respected DC'ers on the board and formed a bit of a committee, if you want to call it that.... More for contests and such...as far as projects, we need to focus on F@H and UD. If that ever needs to change, the team will decide.

Tdg: True, the two projects have the biggest potential for mankind. Plus [H] should be #1 in all projects.

AtomicMoose: I agree. But we can't spread ourselves too thin...so two for now should do it.

Tdg: Exactly. That's all the questions I have for you, anything else you'd like to add?

AtomicMoose: I just want to thank all the contributors we have on our team from FLECOM down to the guys that just crunch with one CPU, but have been doing ot for years. This team is made up of the "little guys" and I am damned proud of what we have been able to accomplish so far. I was not here at the beginning, and I may not make it to the end, but I am happy to have been part of an awesome team. Keep up the good work!

Tdg: Thanks for keeping us inline and promoting the DC project. Also thanks for your time and keep on DC'ing!

I like it. Very nice interview. Keep up all the great work AtomicMoose.

Go Moose!

Note to the OP - Bright blue on black/dark grey background seems to be the best color for frying my eyes. Is it just me? I cant even read it :(.

bob said:
Go Moose!

Note to the OP - Bright blue on black/dark grey background seems to be the best color for frying my eyes. Is it just me? I cant even read it :(.

Good interview, but yeah, very painful to read :)

AtomicMoose: Well, as I have always said, I was not here for the awards, but it is nice to be recognized by your peers....I sound like Anderu.

Apparently, I leave quite the impression. ;)

Nice interview Moose.

i never got an interview :(

(kidding kidding, anyway the woman keeps me too busy)

<3 teh moose :p

congrats Moose!

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Congrats Moose!!

So what other forums do you mod? I'd like to see how ruthless you really are.

Fold on!!!

Thanks all for the kinds words. :)

And I can change the colors if you all want...they are a bit harsh.

AtomicMoose said:
I think that will remain unknown for know...I don't want to have to deal with Marty and Rofty on 2 boards.
:)
y not? you know im the highlight of your day :)

AtomicMoose said:
I don't want to have to deal with Marty and Rofty on 2 boards.
:)

Aww, c'mon, the thought of moose-groupies doesn't appeal? :p

roftranspo said:
oh come on...you know you really do...random shit talking and chops :)
noob2.jpg

AtomicMoose said:
It took him this long to get on the list?

took me that long to think of something to say. Moose groupie--- that's just wrong.

Dropping the sticky on this...

Thank you all for your kinds words and support. Here's to the best team there is! :) FOLD ON!

Anderu!?!?!

I can't remember seeing you post in like the last year. ... "Hey" ... where have you been?

Back