DELL 2407WFP vs. 2x2007FPW

Which would you pick?

• Total voters

winston856

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm going to be getting a Dell 2407WFP soon for about $750 shipped. I've been having a discussion with a friend recently and he thinks I should get 2x2007FPW's over one 2407WFP. Now both of these options cost around the same amount of money. Which would you choose?

My thing is, the 2407 is bigger, but you get more real estate with two 2007's. However, when you play games, you either have to play them on one 2007 or do the stretch thing and get a nice line right in the middle of your FOV. Also, while you're in game, if you see something on the other monitor that you want to move/interact with, you have to Alt-tab anyway.

With the 2407 I can play games in 1920x1200 with no line, but I don't have as much 'monitor real estate'.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Keep in mind that I'm a gamer/internet junkie. So.....have at it

EDIT ---- I did post this in Gen-May already, so this is for you guys that aren't in that section.

Also, could you post and tell me why you voted? Thanks.

just FYI if your game supports window mode you can have it so you don't need to Alt-Tab to interact with the 2nd monitor. I do this with WoW all the time. My second screen will have my TV turner program going and msn. You just move your cursor over to the next monitor like when your in Windows.

stupid blizzard taking all my bandwith, i even gave it a port and firewall acception.... takin me 10 mins to load this damn response page :eek: ....

anywho 2X 20"-ers or 1X 24"-er. if your a gamer two monitors just doesnt work. having half your crosshair on one screen and the other half on the other is a joke. not to mention youd get glitches up the wazoo. and i doubt (unless your investing some serios money into this comp) youll be doing much while your gaming. so 2X monitors for a gamer, well nice perhalps but wasteful (who wouldnt like to browse hard forum while waiting for respawn in CS?).

so you have two options, get the nice 24" monitor with really nice resolution and great image and play some games with a wicked sick monitor. or get one of them 1 to 3 monitor port deals (which Nvidia drivers are ok with) and get three 19 or even 17" monitors and game on them. component in mind is one of these (Matrox Triple Head 2 go). there pretty expensive, but several games (including source) support them.

I had this same debate myself. I went with a single 2007FPW to see how I liked it. I like it so much I bought a second one and I couldn't be happier. The only thing I am struggling with right now is that I have one monitor running off of DVI and the other is running off of VGA.

im running a 2405fp for my main monitor and a 2001fp for my 2nd

i am going to be sad when i get rid of my 2001 =(

MrWizard6600 said:
anywho 2X 20"-ers or 1X 24"-er. if your a gamer two monitors just doesnt work. having half your crosshair on one screen and the other half on the other is a joke. not to mention youd get glitches up the wazoo. and i doubt (unless your investing some serios money into this comp) youll be doing much while your gaming. so 2X monitors for a gamer, well nice perhalps but wasteful (who wouldnt like to browse hard forum while waiting for respawn in CS?).

Yes, thank you! That's what I was worried about. That stupid line right down the middle.

It seems if I was to get multiple monitors for gaming, I would want to get 3 of them so the crosshair would be on the center screen (like you mentioned).

For this reason, I believe the Dell 2407WFP is going to suit me the best. If I get money later, I can buy another 17 or 19" LCD to compliment my 24" so I CAN see what else is going on when I'm in game.

I had a Dell 24" and sold it. But if I get to choose again, I would opt for the 2x20" instead of a 24".

by how much are 2 2001 or 2007 FP's (not the widescreen) bigger than a single 24?

Unless you dont care about graphics / upgrade your video card constantly I'd get the 2007, you'll be able to play games with all the eye candy longer. Also keep in mind you can put these things into a portrait mode, so you could have one setup regularly in the center of your desk, and then one in portrait mode on the side. The secondary monitor would be nice for browsing "tall" sites and having stuff like aim open.

Also If you code at all, having a dual display is so nice, i'm sure anyone who's used one would agree.

winston856 said:
Yes, thank you! That's what I was worried about. That stupid line right down the middle.

It seems if I was to get multiple monitors for gaming, I would want to get 3 of them so the crosshair would be on the center screen (like you mentioned).

For this reason, I believe the Dell 2407WFP is going to suit me the best. If I get money later, I can buy another 17 or 19" LCD to compliment my 24" so I CAN see what else is going on when I'm in game.

again i must bring up the matrox triple head 2 go thing. it really is a great idea.... i was gonna go with one of those 24"ers... but with the list of games growing (and it supporting all the games i want) i think ill go with one of those and three 19"ers.

this is the way i look at it.

2407 vs 3X 19"ers:
2407: cheaper, higher resolution, less physical space, looks more professional (mildly important for me)
19"ers: more viewable size, support for 150+ games (can be found here), more expensive, small max res (1200X1000(X3)), (scaling required unless max res of monitor is 1200X1000) helpful in many games, possibly overwhelming.

MrWizard6600 said:
again i must bring up the matrox triple head 2 go thing. it really is a great idea.... i was gonna go with one of those 24"ers... but with the list of games growing (and it supporting all the games i want) i think ill go with one of those and three 19"ers.

this is the way i look at it.

2407 vs 3X 19"ers:
2407: cheaper, higher resolution, less physical space, looks more professional (mildly important for me)
19"ers: more viewable size, support for 150+ games (can be found here), more expensive, small max res (1200X1000(X3)), (scaling required unless max res of monitor is 1200X1000) helpful in many games, possibly overwhelming.

I don't know if I like that idea. I'm at a res of 1280x1024 right now and I don't plan on downgrading. I'll be running 1920x1200 with the 2407, and that's the monitor I'm going for. :)

That matrox triple 19" sounds intriguing, I just don't think I'd like it.

your not downgrading. 1224X1024 is the max (and suggested) res that the Matrox triple head to go can do. im thinking about it. but my math skills are failing me... damn you pythagreom therom. 24" diagonal at 12:10 thats.... never mind. the three 19"ers prob gives about 30% more viewable area.

Three 19-inchers gives about 3.9 mega-pixels and a 24" is about 2.3MP, also the 30" is 4.1MP for comparison.

Get the 24". Two monitors is great for working, browsing, etc, but is complete crap for gaming. The 24" for gaming is totally sweet. And the resolution isn't so ridiculous that it'll be a problem with games. 1920x1200 isn't so terribly much bigger than 1600x1200. 20% bigger by my calculations. That's not likely to be the difference between being able to run a game and not being able to run a game. hell, my laptop has a 1920x1200 screen and it only has an ATI x300 128MB video card... I run all kinds of games on that. Sure, it can't turn on all the eye candy, but it still looks pretty decent... and that's with a crappy video card. If you're buying a $750 monitor, you're probably not running it off a $70 video card.

-Nate

24" over the two WS 20", but really, 2 2007FPs would be the best. 3200x1200 is 67% more screen real estate than a single 24" 1920x1200 display.

sk33 said:
by how much are 2 2001 or 2007 FP's (not the widescreen) bigger than a single 24?

This much:
http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?b57045ece6038d9f008fbb61fecc8172

2 2007fp next to 24" and 23". 23" is the same height, they are all 1200 pixels tall, but the 24" has bigger pixels.

With the 2 20" you get 3200 x 1200 pixels ( ~32 inches by 12 inches) vs 1920x1200 (20 inches x 12.5 inches) for the 24".

Back