Soldam is bankrupt

You've probably never heard of them because their cases weren't imported to the USA much, if at all. They were very expensive by industry standards and most of the designs were a little weird (4-5 years ago case manufacturers weren't taking as many chances). Personally, I think they were just ahead of their time.

Their known for these type of cases, one of whom made it's way to the Usa a year ago.
There is also a case modder on the work log or case modding forum who owns a soldam case.

soldam1.jpg

kit_a.jpg

pandora_perspective_01.jpg

soldam.jpg

How do you mount drives to a case that has a diagonal front? Seems like the drives would either stick out or be recessed behind the front of the case...

Blazin Trav said:
How do you mount drives to a case that has a diagonal front? Seems like the drives would either stick out or be recessed behind the front of the case...
The drives were a recessed at the bottom.

I own one!

It's called a Shuttle SB75S!

They made them for Shuttle in a Pearl white color. Fantastic!
Too bad it is now a Media Center PC for my GF. pwnd. :(

I don't think many people outside of Japan know about this, but they are the first company in the world to have created computer cases out of aluminum when they founded the WiNDy name in 1997. Unfortunately their products were very expensive and were mostly limited to the Japanese market. The worldwide market for aluminum cases did not take off until Cooler Master (who created ATCS brand to manufacturer aluminum cases in 1999 after taking cues from WiNDy) and Lian-Li (who in terms took cues from Cooler Master in 2000) started releasing aluminum cases

It's sad to see a company that started it all for aluminum cases is now out of business, especially considering they have always been an innovator in the industry.

Some of Soldam later case designs looks that Aopen and Shuttle starting duplicating the Htpc designs of Soldam.

Soldam maybe gone, but it's spirit lives on in some of the Aopen Htpc cases and shuttle cases.

I do know when me and my family made a trip to Taiwan, I did see some Soldam cases, alot in the $400-$600 dollar range. It looks like they were trying too hard to outdo Lian Li, same quality however, but much more expensive,

Scorpionjwp said:
Some of Soldam later case designs looks that Aopen and Shuttle starting duplicating the Htpc designs of Soldam.

Soldam maybe gone, but it's spirit lives on in some of the Aopen Htpc cases and shuttle cases.

I do know when me and my family made a trip to Taiwan, I did see some Soldam cases, alot in the $400-$600 dollar range. It looks like they were trying too hard to outdo Lian Li, same quality however, but much more expensive,

well i would never say they were trying to outdo Lian Li, their design and quality were always top notch. Lian Li's early stuff couldnt touch their stuff and thats probably why they went down. LL and CM brought aluminum to the masses. it was hard to even think about spending $100 on a case back the in days of beige, much less $400 - $600.

In japan now they are offering some of their cases for below U$ 100 that was U$250 to 300 before.

Ahhhh the X10! I just saw that last night on Soldam's site. Sorry for the thread resurrection but where di you order that case from? Is it still possible to import cases? I love that removable motherboard tray with 2x 120mm fans.

They make some amazing cases. It's too bad that they're priced wayyyyy too high.
They also should've like errm distributed them to US retailers.
I really liked the RS4 and RS6.

Jerry said:
Ahhhh the X10! I just saw that last night on Soldam's site. Sorry for the thread resurrection but where di you order that case from? Is it still possible to import cases? I love that removable motherboard tray with 2x 120mm fans.

1) Well I lived in Taiwan, and we don't have any shop nor agent carry SOLDAM Cases.
Thus I ordered this case from Local Buying Service....... they have somebody who lived in Japan, purchase your ordered stuffs then sent to you via courier. Cost me a fortune. :rolleyes:

2) I had received the case a month before their bank-crupcy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but.. That first one, looks like the discontinued Enermax case.

Holy shit I had planned to build a case from scratch that looks very similar to the one with the bent front. I also love that mobo tray. I usually use a ground set system so having an angled front really appeals to me. My idea was to make the case reversable so that if it was desktop you could just flip the entire setup upside down (just reversing the cd drives or putting in a cd drive horizontal so it wouldnt matter).

Oh wow, some of these cases are pretty and thye all look high qual.

Really too bad. =\

I allway's like the company's cases..really nice
they had a mesh case that was so hot..but it cost about 400USD!!!
But man i wanted it..I had to put my creditcard under wraps..so I wouldn't buy it :(

But really some of their cases were hot!

Correct me if I'm wrong but.. That first one, looks like the discontinued Enermax case.

Not quite, the enermax case had dual 80mm cooling on the drives up front, dual 60mm exhaust fans and the front came all the way down to the plane of the bottom. But the enermax case was by soldam. All those features: aluminum cases, auto grade paint, drive cooling, acrylic front panel covering, quality construction, tooless access and mounts - all came from soldam, afaik. They pumped new and interesting ideas into the case business for years. It's a loss to see them go!

Those look like very nice quality cases.
I think it's a shame to loose a manufacturer who puts quality first.
And also one who pushes the boundries

Windy is still manufacturing cases. Just go to their website and see for yourselves. This thread was resurrected from last year.

You've probably never heard of them because their cases weren't imported to the USA much, if at all. They were very expensive by industry standards and most of the designs were a little weird (4-5 years ago case manufacturers weren't taking as many chances). Personally, I think they were just ahead of their time.

I actually remember seeing their cases advertised in computer magazines a long time ago. I was going to buy a case but I couldn't figure out why I needed my optical drives at a 45 degree angle. It's too bad they are out of business but this means that their cases are more like collector's edition pieces now.

Holy thread revival batman.

Anyways, WiNDy cases are pure sex I really like their colored interior work.

Well, they are back to making cases... They didn't make any from sometime in 2005 through 2006 but they are making them again. Just recently release some new ones. Sadly mine is a couple years old now ... but still very nice :)

I actually remember seeing their cases advertised in computer magazines a long time ago. I was going to buy a case but I couldn't figure out why I needed my optical drives at a 45 degree angle. It's too bad they are out of business but this means that their cases are more like collector's edition pieces now.

screenshot8xx0.jpg

So when someone grabs a thread that's several months dead, and responds to someone who hasn't posted in a year, I wonder what kind of response they are expecting...

When someone asks someone else about a response from someone , I wonder what kind of response they are expecting... because only the person who is expecting the response can respond correctly. Therefore, asking someone about someone else's response is futile.

Back