ATI x1400 or nVidia go7300?

delooch

n00b
It looks like Dell is going to take $1000 from my pocket for an e1505 laptop. Im trying to find info on the x1400 or go7300 video options, but cant seem to find much on these. I know theyre both low-mid range cards, and are almost almost the same by the specs. The ATI x1400 does have a 128 bit mem controller vs. the 64 bit in the nVida, so im leaning that way.

these are both 256 MB options.

Any experience with these? comments? suggestions?

oh yeah. im gonna use this primarily for graphics design, but i would like something that will also run some games at a playable (sacraficing quality) pace. Ill play the hardcore games on my desktop if i want all the eye-candy.

im getting the
core duo 1.83 / 663mhz bus,
1 GB ram,
60 gb 7200 sata,
Audigy HD,
bluetooth,
8x dual layer dvd burner.

I'm not 100% sure about the mobile chipsets, but from what I recall the X1300 desktop board is slightly quicker than the 7300 cards. I'd expect the X1400 to beat an X1300, so perhaps that still holds.
Overall it depends on what you're doing. If it's not really for gaming but you want max battery life dig around & try to find out power consumption specs. NV lists them I think, haven't checked ATI. If you want to run Linux on it get the 7300. For max game performance ATI is probably the way to go... though it's still going to suck compared to a desktop with a simple 6600, X700, etc.
Since you're going to be doing graphic design, have you considered a convertible tablet? More money I know, but you can draw right on the screen. A lot of them are even pressure sensitive if you install the right driver- Wacom or Finepoint depending on the make/model. Toshiba & Gateway have 14" widescreen models with the Core Duo. I think Acer has a 14" w/ a Pentium M. Others mostly have 12" models. These things start around $1500 usually.

I keep telling myself now im not going to game much on it, but i know i eventually will. Unfortunately these are the only 2 chipsets (other than i950) that dell is offering on this system. id like to get the most powerful chipset, as i dont mind dropping resolution or detail a bit to achieve framerate. Ive had nvidia and ati on my desktop system, and ive been happy with both. but then i can always swap out my desktop card if im not happy with it. Im stuck with the laptop decision, however.

Those tablet PC's arent all that appealing to me. I tried a wacom tablet for a while, i felt i still worked better with my mouse. im also afraid thats one more thing to break.

The x1400 is better, in fact I just ordered the same laptop with the x1400 in it yesterday

alphakry said:
be careful. I'm fairly sure the 7300 TC (turbocache) shares the same specs as the X1400

http://www.dell.com/content/learnmo...ine=notebooks&~lt=popup&~series=inspn&ref=CFG
Those feature specs are the same, but clock speeds, memory bus widths, number of vertex shaders and memory speeds are different. I posted a link to it above, but I might as well post it here:

X1400 - core: 430MHz, memory: 128MB of 128-bit 400MHz DDR (800MHz), up to 256MB total incl shared memory, PS: 4, VS: 2
go7300 - core: 350MHz, memory: 128MB of 64-bit 350MHz DDR (700MHz), up to 256MB total incl shared memory, PS: 4, VS: 3

:p

omega-x said:
any info on power consumtion?
Neither company releases complete information. You can probably dig up the minimum power that each uses (idle desktop, clocks at minimum), but it's not going to be very different between the two.

with an e1505, 2.0ghz core duo, 2gb 533 ddr2, and the x1400 (with the 9cell batt)

I get around 4.5+ hours of battery life (If it was just idling, wifi off, etc, it'd be like 5.75), and can easily watch a 2 hour DVD full brightness and have like 40% battery when I'm done.

Maybe I'm just lucky or it'll decrease soon or somthing, but thats what the first three charge cycles have shown

Back