Portal by Valve

i have to admit when i first read the concept of Portal i thought it sounded kind of stupid, but after seeing that it's looking pretty badass

It's like prey but 10,000X better. A ripoff, mabye, but better? Heck yes. I'm getting it.

God, that thing looks great, i cant wait to get my hands on it. Nothing like a game that makes you think.

whoa...

i cant wait to see some custom made videos and puzzles.
nowadays we dont need structured games anymore (prey which is 5-8 hours long), we need tools like this that allow us to make our own games.

Damn, that looks amazing. The portals in Prey were just gimmicks, they just acted as very cool doors.

OMFG I want that game. That looks like a ton of fun. hope the Episode 2 package is still $20 because it looks to be well worth a full game price. Awsome.

aznpxdd said:
Damn, that looks amazing. The portals in Prey were just gimmicks, they just acted as very cool doors.

QFT.

Prey is over rated if you ask me. As stated, they were just a replacement for doors. This is real innovation. Being able to actually "use" portals, to solve problems, get from point A to B (where A and B are of your choosing!)...this looks good, really good.

Now if you could mix the portal gun with the abilty to change the direction of gravity (like in Prey)...now that would really be something. If you could change the gravity using a gun and in any direction you wanted (within reason)...things could get really interesting...

EDIT:

I must add, this is a very simple concept...but the gameplay prospects are amazing.

i like the one where they put several portals and chase each other around a corner... i could do that for hours... imagine a game of "tag" online. no weapons, nothing but one person with a portal gun who needs to catch everyone else in a large building.

Looks cool...the public will definetly come up with some interesting puzzles for this one.

looks like it would take the pace away from a fast fps...but really cool.

Wow. Talk about a whole realm of new possibilities for puzzle games.

When does it come out?

I can't tell you excited that video just made me. I'm a sucker for insane puzzle games. But in FPS style? That is amazing. And portals. Wow. And.. ahh I'm spazzing.

Yeah that looks really cool. Make it more of a "Brain Game" however I think it could get repitive after a while. A simple concept well implemented.

watched this earlier today and i cant wait, i wont play episode 2, i'm gonna buy it just for portal and tf2 this really does look like something that would've fit into prey very well and why they didn't include something like this is beyond me

People are doing this right now in Prey, with the 'create portals anywhere' mod. Those puzzles displayed in that video can easily be mapped into a Prey level. It even works the same, where you can create 2 portals anywhere you want and they interconnect.

However Valve's implementation is highly integrated with physics of objects, which is what makes it unique and interesting. Can't wait :)

Well, I was telling my friends that prey looked cool, but they needed to use the portals as something other than doorways, otherwise they are just that; doorways.

VALVe, as usual, is the company who is going to get it right.

CANT WAIT!!

anyone know if that trailer was prerendered? Cause the lighting effects look spectacular (in terms of realism)

laserdemon said:
God, that thing looks great, i cant wait to get my hands on it. Nothing like a game that makes you think.

Yep, its gonna involve some clever thinking and fast thinking at that...Something I like...

NOW I WONDER IF BULLETS CAN GO THROUGH PORTALS...Like say the player is standing against a wall and you shot portal A on the wall behind the player and another one on the floor(for times sake)...would you be able to shot through it and kill the player...that would pwn.

OMG when I first heard about this game, I thought "damn, I'm gonna have to pay for this stupid thing whether I want it or not"

but now I think I'll be paying for Portal, and Episode 2 will come as a bonus! :D

A bunch of DigiPen students created a game called Narbacular Drop based on an identical concept - being able to place pairs of portals, and using them to solve puzzles.

Apparently four of them were hired by Valve straight out of college.

While it looks very fun, I wish there was killing involved :( . Nothing would spell fun better than opening up a portal underneath someone and watching them fall to their death :p :D

Syphon Filter said:
Prey is over rated if you ask me. As stated, they were just a replacement for doors..

No they weren't. There were several puzzles and other gameplay devices involving the portals.

Valve Portal = Ripoff Prey had this first. valve though this shit was cool and so they took the idea and modified it just a little bit (by adding a gun) Valve= Jackasses

I stand corrected...... that is some cool shit so in reality both of them are rip offs ;) I am sorry for not researching first. I must have missed that game

Actually, you're still wrong since Valve hired those students who made that game and they are currently working on Portal. "Valve Corporation are releasing a professionally-developed semi-sequel to Narbacular Drop entitled Portal. It is expected to be released at fall 2006 bundled with Half-Life 2 Episode 2, for Xbox 360, PC and Playstation 3. Some or all of the original Drop team are now employed at Valve."

And yes, portals in the single player part of Prey only acted as high-tech doors and nothing else. I've already beat the game and I'm pretty sure 100% of the puzzles in the game are anti-grav or "walk though force field with spirit mode to hit a switch", none of them involved portals.

OMG!!!! That's so awsome!!!! I wasn't even looking at Episode 2, but now.... OMG, that's going to be amazing. Multiplayer will be mind blowing. It would be cool if that was the only gun you got, and you had to kill people with it. With no rules, the possiblities are endless!!! And when people mod it.....

Finally, an original game!!!!

Back