asian V.S. american MMORPG

NewMonster

Limp Gawd
graphical VS only no gameplay involve....

these are asian (korean) mmorpg screenie

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

these are american/euro mmorpg screenie

every game screenie i posted are a mix of new and old titles. so what u people think?

I would say that every time that I'm tempted to play a new asian mmorpg, I'm drawn in and blown away by the often amazing art direction, but then I'm very quickly uninstalling the damn thing due to the tedious, derivative, and dull gameplay that I find there. Keep in mind, that's a pretty harsh thing for me to say when we're already talking about mmorpg's here. Simply put, the word "grind" holds no meaning until a person has played a typical asian mmorpg. :rolleyes: Argh...

Kersk said:
I would say that every time that I'm tempted to play a new asian mmorpg, I'm drawn in and blown away by the often amazing art direction, but then I'm very quickly uninstalling the damn thing due to the tedious, derivative, and dull gameplay that I find there. Keep in mind, that's a pretty harsh thing for me to say when we're already talking about mmorpg's here. Simply put, the word "grind" holds no meaning until a person has played a typical asian mmorpg. :rolleyes: Argh...

i think u think like me...

asians especially koreans did a great job on overall visuals but their gameplay tends to suck! repetitive! tedious! grind and grind! with no varieties.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

to me... asians mmorpg usually have better graphic than americans especially the charecter design and modling..... smo0th! shine! sexy! hot! ect... while americans charecter modling is jus rocky and chunky also ugly! i,e everquest2 female charecters.

i admit lineage2 enviorment graphic is yukkk!!! not much detail like some american titles. also i admit world of warcraft graphic is ok.... it is its own style. and also i admit i do lo0king foward for neverwinter nights 2..... diablo-type transform into a mmo

also i love american diablo-type game... very addictive gameplay..

Graphics don't mean shit when the gameplay is horrible.

Hats off to them for making pretty games that do look better than American/Whoever games, but they won't get my respect/money tbh.

DarkfallFan said:
Graphics don't mean shit when the gameplay is horrible.

Hats off to them for making pretty games that do look better than American/Whoever games, but they won't get my respect/money tbh.

ahh even a asian mmorpg disliker admit that asian did pretty and lo0k better than americans.

so.... its ovious that asians (korean) wins in this thread.

NewMonster said:
ahh even a asian mmorpg disliker admit that asian did pretty and lo0k better than americans.

so.... its ovious that asians (korean) wins in this thread.
Uh... so graphics alone determine the quality of the game for you?

While I do think asian mmorpg's have great art direction, their overall graphics are often subpar in both content and execution. For example, often the models themselves will look great, but they'll have poor character animations. As far as gameplay is concerned, which I would hope everyone agrees is really the most important thing, I have yet to play an asian mmorpg that was more engaging than the few hours or so it takes to overcome the appeal of staring at the butt of a hot elf chick while tediously grinding. What's the point of playing if it's not fun? :(

hokatichenci said:
Wait for Burning Crusade to judge, thats all I gotta say.

although I do like Wow... the expansion doesn't improve on the graphics just the content so wow would still lose in overall look. but has great gameplay...

Tetrahedron said:
asian MMOs look like crap, the art style sucks imho.
I agree with you aswell. I think American/Euro RPG's have the upper-hand in every aspect.

Uh... so graphics alone determine the quality of the game for you?

no... i have not yet said that. i played grand theft auto and driver 3 guess which i like better? gta! even tho driver 3 got superior graphics but the gameplay is weak.... gta is the best and nuttin can top it.

btw like i said b4 this topic is not about gameplay vs graphic

asian MMOs look like crap, the art style sucks imho.

im shock to hear that! either u jus saying it or u dont want to face the fact. asian mmo have better art design and usually has more fantasy to it....

although I do like Wow... the expansion doesn't improve on the graphics just the content so wow would still lose in overall look. but has great gameplay...

agreed... the expansion of wow does not improve the graphics.... it will still be the same game but jus exspan sum stuff... liike map... new weaps... new feature ect...

to some of u thats trying or tried to criticize me about i go for graphic than gameplay.... ur off topic.

NewMonster said:
im shock to hear that! either u jus saying it or u dont want to face the fact. asian mmo have better art design and usually has more fantasy to it....

well than be shocked :)

everyone has their own taste in what kind of art is appealing to them, I think all asain MMO art basically looks the same to me. Now yes it does have its own distinct look, I just dont find much attraction in it. My choice, my opinion. I think it sucks. I dont like swords that are fifty times larger than anything anyone could possible carry, I dont like all the female characters to look like pixie fairy elves, the hair styles are amazingly ugly... I could go on and on..

do some american MMOs have suckage for art style? HELL YEAH! WoW is one of them. But thats the difference, only some american ones do, where as ALL asian ones do.

For people who like Final Fantasy type games/anime/manga, etc. Asian MMORPG's wins hands down in art direction.

For gameplay, American MMORPG's win.

I was a WoW addict myself. Although the art direction is great, the graphics themselves simply suck. Part of the reason was that Blizzard wanted it to run even on low end computers. Even at 1600x1200 with everything maxed it still looks like crap texturally. EQ2 looks way better, but it's not quite as fun to play.

So hopelfully upcoming MMORPG's will improve on that. (Tabula Rasa, Vanguard Online...)

maverick777 said:
For people who like Final Fantasy type games/anime/manga, etc. Asian MMORPG's wins hands down in art direction.

For gameplay, American MMORPG's win.

I was a WoW addict myself. Although the art direction is great, the graphics themselves simply suck. Part of the reason was that Blizzard wanted it to run even on low end computers. Even at 1600x1200 with everything maxed it still looks like crap texturally. EQ2 looks way better, but it's not quite as fun to play.

So hopelfully upcoming MMORPG's will improve on that. (Tabula Rasa, Vanguard Online...)

jus came from sumwhere and wanted to reply to u b4 i go to bed..... in a rush to go to bed so i will make it quick.

in the past i always thought wow graphic is crap! but now i realize it is its own style of art and graphic... u cant compare wow graphic to other american mmo graphic since its not really a contest... its like comparing a ummm let me think.... uhhh.... its like comparing a motocycle and a car kno im saying?

u think vanguard graphic will rock? theres a vanguard screenie.... the 5th one down the one an ugly female mount on horse. it is ugly!!!! in case u dont kno some of the creator of everquest2 work on vanguard as well thats y u see vanguard and everquest2 has similar art design.... ugly charecters!

tabula rasa... i believe it is another asian title from ncsoft.... the team that brought u lineage2. i dont kno much bout tabula rasa but from the screenie i saw... it doesnt impress me much.

Asain MMORPGs have horrible quest systems (its usually a grindfest) aswell as horrible enviroments. They focus most of their work on the character models...

I have played many Asian MMOs for a long time so im not saying this without experiance.

You might think the characters art in US MMOs look ugly but they are a different form then asian, they try to blend the characters with books and fantasy lore... not made up lore. Read a dam fantasy novel and you will see how american characters resemble those in books.

I do find it humorous that you picked some of the worse looking shots for the american games...

Once again, American MMOs usually aim for a more realistic fantasy setting then one where you run around with angel wings or running with your body almost horizontal to the ground.

Anytime I look at pictures like these I just remind myself of a simple statistic about Lineage 2 that held true for the first person to reach level 75. It required "20 hours a day for 52 days straight" to go from level 70 to 75. I care not about the graphics and the title and point of a thread cannot waver this simple fact.

Opinions based on something as subjective as art are not facts.

Therefore there can not be a clear cut winner.

Which makes this discussion somewhat meaningless.

|MaguS| said:
Asain MMORPGs have horrible quest systems (its usually a grindfest) aswell as horrible enviroments. They focus most of their work on the character models...

I have played many Asian MMOs for a long time so im not saying this without experiance.

You might think the characters art in US MMOs look ugly but they are a different form then asian, they try to blend the characters with books and fantasy lore... not made up lore. Read a dam fantasy novel and you will see how american characters resemble those in books.

I do find it humorous that you picked some of the worse looking shots for the american games...

Once again, American MMOs usually aim for a more realistic fantasy setting then one where you run around with angel wings or running with your body almost horizontal to the ground.

uh huh.... i agree that most asian mmo titles are a grind fest heavy on grinding and yes most has horrible enviorment i.e lineage2.... but i cannot say the same for new asian mmo titles such as soul of the ultimate nation and aion. and yes asian usually focus on charecter models.... superb model to dro0l over

i have played many asian and american mmo also....from low-budget free2play to high-budget commercial mmo. i live my life as a gamer... also as a beta tester.

yes thats correct... american mmo tends to stay true to their bo0ks and fantasy lore.... plain sword and shield.... knights and castle... dungeon and dragons ect... they dont try to be innovative with their art design unlike most asian where its beyond reality.... beyond a triditional bo0ks and lore. asian knows fantasy. it is a game and game should be more than jus a triditional bo0ks and lore!

i picked up sum worst lo0king shots for the american mmo? are u acusing me of being bias?? if so y dont u find the best american mmo shot and post it here urself?

ya i think this thread is bias as well.. i mean u even said "i think asians win" <(something along those lines dont feel like checking)

guildwars, oblivion are 2 titles that surpass the visual elements of lineage 2 imo

guildwars, oblivion are 2 titles that surpass the visual elements of lineage 2 imo

guildwars is not an mmorpg but it is a CORPG (competitive online role-playing game) however it is similar to mmo so yeah it can fit the mmo group. i must say guildwars is the only current released asian title that i really like the enviorment.... it is highly detailed and yes it wins lineage2's eviorment (enviorment alone) although lineage2 enviorment is jus plain.... not much detail... not much stuff but their model design are splendid.

oblivion is not a mmorpg..... it is an action rpg.... advance graphics and lighting yes yes however.... i dont like their artstyle

I prefer American games to Asian games in most situations. Not to say that Asian games are bad, but my game collection is mostly American (or European).

xdkimx said:
ya i think this thread is bias as well.. i mean u even said "i think asians win" <(something along those lines dont feel like checking)

The characters' faces in Oblivion are ugly as sin, especially the man-girls.

aznpxdd said:
The faces of those in asian MMORPG's don't even look like faces as much as they do look like imaginary-friend portraits of a lonely pre-teen girl into anime and jrock.

aznpxdd said:

yes thats right... oblivion charecter faces are not so0 pretty like asian creator despite that their graphic is very very very advanced! well everquest2 charecters face makes charecters from oblivion decent! everquest2 has the ugliest charecter face and models i have seen in an american mmo!

The faces of those in asian MMORPG's don't even look like faces as much as they do look like imaginary-friend portraits of a lonely pre-teen girl into anime and jrock.

hello karant... is karant a female name? are you a female? jus curious.

yes most face in an asian mmo lo0k like an imaginary-friend.... and yes more like a preteen i,e lineage2's female dwarves also most of them are sl*tty if i can say that..... asian mmo are pretty fruity also it goes beyond reality.... its all about fantasy.

have i mention that i love to play a female charecters in a mmo?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

oh i would like to mention about vanguard once again.... vanguard screenie is the 5th one down the american mmo.... the elf archer mounting on a horse..... see it? lo0k at the background enviorment.... lo0k at the ground... the grass.... the hut ect.... very highly detailed huh? very very impressive.... but one thing thats holding them back is.... their charecter modling its so0 ugly! ugly face! ugly body! ugly model! lo0k at the horse.... WTF is that??? its like they cut and paste the models from a magazine and stick it in the background.

some of vanguard staff is from everquest2... thats why their art design are similar.... very ugly.

I'm not particularly fond of my characters looking like they're out of an anime, so I'm going to side with N.American/European.

Although I like Guild Wars a lot (stylistically and gameplay).

Who the hell is comparing Oblivion and Guild Wars to Lineage 2 in terms of graphics? These games are a few generations apart. Oblivion isn't even a MMORPG.

Back