NewEgg: Zalman CNPS 9500 LED

Not bad with the free shipping that's $10 better than anywhere else I checked

Thanks Hochi. :) I think this is probably more than I want to pay for a heatsink, but it is tempting...

Well, it supports EVERYTHING except AM2. You could always buy this and use it later for a conroe if you are going that path.

I am wondering how well this would work on my 3700 SD. I have it running at 2.62 ghz now with 36 idle, 45 load. Maybe I could overclock it to 2.8 24/7 assuming the ram would let me. Even on a 166 divider it would be overclocked passed 200 at 2.8 ghz.

Read the newegg reviews, nearly everyone gives it a great review with good results. Assuming it is mounted properly, you should get very good results vs a stock cooler. This and some artic silver 5 would work wonders.

You could probably keep this thing for many years and create custom mounts when the time comes for a new socket.

Dalrain said:
Do either of these support socket AM2 procs?

well the 9500 technically can , only difference is the clip-on mounting clip instead of the screw clip. But zalman doesn't sell the am2 clip by itself. Maybe one day :D

Hmmm the Scythe Ninja looks like a good deal, but will that thing fit in most cases; and is it a good idea to had something almost 2 lbs pulling on your cpu and mobo?

Hochi said:
well the 9500 technically can , only difference is the clip-on mounting clip instead of the screw clip. But zalman doesn't sell the am2 clip by itself. Maybe one day :D

Interesting, if the only difference is the clip...is it possible to get the non-AM2 multi-purpose clip on it's own? (So I could buy the AM2 version, then just get the clip if I ever wanted Conroe, for example.)

Dalrain said:
Interesting, if the only difference is the clip...is it possible to get the non-AM2 multi-purpose clip on it's own? (So I could buy the AM2 version, then just get the clip if I ever wanted Conroe, for example.)

the am2 version is only for amd processors , so i doubt it will work on intel sockets

mayakindaguy said:
Hmmm the Scythe Ninja looks like a good deal, but will that thing fit in most cases; and is it a good idea to had something almost 2 lbs pulling on your cpu and mobo?

HAH! I own both. The Scythe Ninja weighs LESS than the Zalman. And, as a matter of fact, it even weighs less than a 478 Prescott stock Intel cooler!

The Scythe Ninja is large, but it really is not NEARLY as heavy as everyone seems to think.

DarkSi said:
HAH! I own both. The Scythe Ninja weighs LESS than the Zalman. And, as a matter of fact, it even weighs less than a 478 Prescott stock Intel cooler!

The Scythe Ninja is large, but it really is not NEARLY as heavy as everyone seems to think.

The Ninja is 815grams, while the Zalman is 530grams. The recommended max weight suggested by Intel and AMD is 450grams. =P The weight should be relatively fine, but it's not 2grams. ;)

mayakindaguy said:
The Ninja is 815grams, while the Zalman is 530grams. The recommended max weight suggested by Intel and AMD is 450grams. =P The weight should be relatively fine, but it's not 2grams. ;)

The scythe's weight is nearly all towards the base, so i think you should be dandy throwing it on since the lower center of balance wouldn't pu tas much stress on the bracket

These coolers listed do really good at keeping the CPU temps down but do almost nothing about cooling the voltage regulators. What good is having a frosty cool CPU when the VR's are unable to supply clean power because of overheating.
I'd take this one over any of the others...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115
...unfortunately AM2 users need to look elsewhere.

could u explain how the 7700 better supplies cooling to the VR?

I haven't read anyone doing high overclocks with the 7700.

i think he means that the 7700 blows air over the VR's , mosfets etc etc due to it's HS design

The 9500 also cools the voltage regulators because unlike other wind tunnel like coolers, the 9500 use fins which allows air to easily reach the area around the cpu. And it's better than 7700 at it too.

DarkSi said:

Are you able to mount a 120mm fan that blows towards the back of the case? I'm just wondering about ram interference on a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe..

joemama said:
Are you able to mount a 120mm fan that blows towards the back of the case? I'm just wondering about ram interference on a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe..

Both the ninja and the zalman are able to direct their exhaust.

Back