Bad news on Core 2 Availability.

Nitebane

Weaksauce
I just got off the phone w/ my Rep, and hes informed me Intel is only sending 50 of each conroe processor (6300,6400,6600,6700,6800), each week. This is for one of my biggest dists avail, He said after 3 weeks starting next week, the 4th week will be the useal big loads/restocks that the dist useally would stock/recover from oos statuses.

This might not be good since alot of sites that are waiting on them are waiting on them to be in stock in reality w/ their distributors.

So basically, unless the company is getting it directly from intel, its going to be about a month or so untill its readily available.

They also are filling backorders first, so thats really not much when this is the biggest dist, and all the biggest companys/etailers are purchasing from this dist in the first place, to have stock for the consumers.

Bad news.

UPDATE:
I went to another dist, and confirmed the same story, they also only have 50 coming of each type, each week - and then on the 4th week shows a very large supply incoming.

Unless Intel is shipping directly to a company, and the person isnt BS'ing since this is not common practice for Intel (chances are, they are just waiting to buy from the same place all of us sellers do, w/ an eta of 8/2 that would of made, at the earliest, a delivery of 8/7 to the consumer for the time to get it from Dist -> to their Business. -- But now? We are being told next week is the first arrival date - AND - its only 50 of each for 3 weeks + backorders first = pretty much nill for us!)

So we wait..

Not good news, although I am 45th in line for my 6600 at Tankguys, so I hope I still squeak in. But I do think they ordered from 4-5 different distibutors at once in case something like this happened.

ACCE Greensburg PA View Detail 0 0
ACCW Ventura CA View Detail 0 0
BLKN COMPTON CA View Detail 0 0
DAT Norcross GA View Detail 0
8/18/06
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DCH Glendale Hts IL View Detail 0
8/18/06
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DDC Chantilly VA View Detail 0 90
8/18/06
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DDS Fremont CA View Detail 0 0
DFL Miami FL View Detail 0 185 8/15/06
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DFR Fremont CA View Detail 0
8/18/06
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DLA City of Industry CA View Detail 0
8/18/06
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DNJ Edison NJ View Detail 0
8/18/06
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DNV North Las Vegas NV View Detail 0
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DOR Beaverton OR View Detail 0
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DTN Memphis TN View Detail 0
8/18/06
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
DTX Richardson TX View Detail 0
8/25/06
9/1/06
9/8/06
9/15/06
9/22/06
9/29/06
KIN1 FOUNTAIN VALLEY CA View Detail 0 0

Heres their schedule , date, then the numbers under it is each weeks amount due in per warehouse. This one is a lil more meatier then the one I just talked to this morning, but gives you an idea what will be avail per week.

That's really not surprising though and they will ship 1 million chips in 10 weeks. You have to realize that the stores don't sell the bulk of Intel's chips... it's the companies like Dell, HP, etc. It's no secret that they will get the most CPUs in the first weeks... but 200+ chips at each retail store per week is not bad. My guess is that after a few weeks they would start having extra in stock.

200+ chips at each retail store per week? Maybe if 1 retail store gets lucky and gets them all, can they have 200+ chips each week in their store.

This is the total amount coming in for every store/business that sells these to pick at.

Maybe w/ mult dists they might be able to get a lil more in stock, but big co's that show 4k on order, they are going to deplete the stocks fast. Theres only 4k w/ this major dist coming till 9/29 listed. Thats about a months worth of supply at only a lil over 4000 units.

200+ chips PER retail store PER week??

I think I misunderstood the first post. I guess it's each distributor that gets 50 of each per week... still though, I'm not sure how many distributors there are, but I don't see this being a huge issue. Wait till the 7th and see the availability.

.born. said:
Not good news, although I am 45th in line for my 6600 at Tankguys, so I hope I still squeak in. But I do think they ordered from 4-5 different distibutors at once in case something like this happened.

When did you become 45th in line?

IPD (Intel Product Dealers) <official!>

Ingram Micro
Synnex
D&H
SED International
Techdata
ASI
Wintec Industries

Intel will only be sending out to their official chain of dists, the others buy from these guys. There might be some special case where Intel is shipping directly to companys, but IMHO its not regular practice, and BS if you ask me. They just want you to PO w/ them.

I've checked them all but Ingram because their prices are outrageous and we refuse to do business w/ them. The others tho are all similar stories just some are less incoming then others. Synnex looks to have the largest incoming qtys from the IPD chain.

Nitebane said:
IPD (Intel Product Dealers) <official!>

Ingram Micro
Synnex
D&H
SED International
Techdata
ASI
Wintec Industries

Intel will only be sending out to their official chain of dists, the others buy from these guys. There might be some special case where Intel is shipping directly to companys, but IMHO its not regular practice, and BS if you ask me. They just want you to PO w/ them.

I've checked them all but Ingram because there prices are outrageous and we refuse to do business w/ them. The others tho are all similar stories just some are less incoming then others. Synnex looks to be the biggest Dist that has the largest incoming qtys from the IPD chain.

So Newegg doesn't get shipments directly from Intel ?

Newegg has to buy their products from DIST like everyone else. The vendors send their prodcuts to DIST , in which the companys buy from them -- to supply to the consumer.

00ber_m00 said:
50 e-bucks says availability will be fine starting on monday. Any takers?

Yeah, I'm with you, I think next week the orders will start being filled and there will be enough on the market soon enough.

People don't realize that the demand for retail boxed Core2 processors should be small considering so many people already have 939 systems that are probably just going to buy a cheap X2 to hold them over. And you need a NEW mobo for Core2. AND this is for just the CPU, not THAT MANY people build their own systems.

Anyway, I'm waiting a little longer to see how things pan out. Hopefully, I can be patient enough until the 6900XE comes out & pushes the 6600 down a price notch. But I'll probably end up jumping before then.

chrisf6969 said:
Yeah, I'm with you, I think next week the orders will start being filled and there will be enough on the market soon enough.

People don't realize that the demand for retail boxed Core2 processors should be small considering so many people already have 939 systems that are probably just going to buy a cheap X2 to hold them over. And you need a NEW mobo for Core2. AND this is for just the CPU, not THAT MANY people build their own systems.

Anyway, I'm waiting a little longer to see how things pan out. Hopefully, I can be patient enough until the 6900XE comes out & pushes the 6600 down a price notch. But I'll probably end up jumping before then.

I wish I coulld have waited out the storm and have seen how things are going to play out; to see which mobo everyone liked best and to be able to have a Conroe in my hands less than a month after I ordered it. But I have to build my system before I start college, so that really left me with a limited amount of choice, although I am just happy that I'm building a system at the dawn of a new processor generation, rather than the middle.

.born. said:
I wish I coulld have waited out the storm and have seen how things are going to play out; to see which mobo everyone liked best and to be able to have a Conroe in my hands less than a month after I ordered it. But I have to build my system before I start college, so that really left me with a limited amount of choice, although I am just happy that I'm building a system at the dawn of a new processor generation, rather than the middle.

I was in a similar boat as you; summer school just ended, and I just quit my job (take that job and shove it :p ) and I wanted something to do until class starts up again on the 26th-ish? I've never been much of an "early adopter" but waiting just wasn't an attractive option. ;) I paid $209 for my E6300, I think the Intel bulk price was $183... :shrug:

Well, found a guy with an extra P5W DH available. So I will be joining the fray sooner rather than later it appears. I have a modern 939 but I don't care. :p

Oh, and I was just asking when the tank guy orders were placed to get an idea of the line situation. If it was recent than that would be good, long time ago not so much. lol.. no biggie but at least 2 people thought I was inquiring to complain or something. #45 last week, ja NO i'm 33! Wing Dings!!!!!

I am waiting for a month or so anyway so this just gives me a good excuse to wait till more motherboards come out and all the early adopters tell me what works and what doesn't

Tigerdirect said they have a specific number that they can allow for preorder and then they stop allowing preorders on the chips. They said they get them directly from the manufacturer

And intel ppl say how bad AMD's fab capabilities are. Don't make me laugh. Well this sucks if you want to make a business out of it. Must be killing the retailers. Intel has no fab space because their warehouses are stacked full of P4 crap. Everybody wants a conroe but can't get them because intel can't make enough and has no place to put them. They should just throw away their P4's and save themselfs so they can make real money. Nobody wants opsolete technology.

AMD has no prob selling CPU's and making them. The are aready switching to 300mm wafers and have Fab 36 up. If intel wants to save themselfs with a cpu that finally can they should do it now. They aready lost 57% in proffits. What in the hell is intel waiting for? Their fabs suck because they can't make their saving grace that could turn the tables. But looks like the gient will fall at this rate. Way behind in fab capability not enough room to store conroes.

Pretty sad way to go can't even bring the fight to the table when you actouly have a weapon that can do damage. Looks like intels fab capability will kill them. Better hope for the best and we see some yeild improvments. This is really killing everybody. Come on intel what in the hell are you doing? :confused:

Serge84 said:
And intel ppl say how bad AMD's fab capabilities are. Don't make me laugh. Well this sucks if you want to make a business out of it. Must be killing the retailers. Intel has no fab space because their warehouses are stacked full of P4 crap. Everybody wants a conroe but can't get them because intel can't make enough and has no place to put them. They should just throw away their P4's and save themselfs so they can make real money. Nobody wants opsolete technology.

AMD has no prob selling CPU's and making them. The are aready switching to 300mm wafers and have Fab 36 up. If intel wants to save themselfs with a cpu that finally can they should do it now. They aready lost 57% in proffits. What in the hell is intel waiting for? Their fabs suck because they can't make their saving grace that could turn the tables. But looks like the gient will fall at this rate. Way behind in fab capability not enough room to store conroes.

Pretty sad way to go can't even bring the fight to the table when you actouly have a weapon that can do damage. Looks like intels fab capability will kill them. Better hope for the best and we see some yeild improvments. This is really killing everybody. Come on intel what in the hell are you doing? :confused:
uhhh..............

uhhh..............
Do I need to say it again?

Serge84 said:
Intel has no fab space because their warehouses are stacked full of P4 crap.

LMAO... this is funny. Yes they have the fab space to saturate the market wiht Conroes but then what would that get them? Business' that have inventory of P4s that they can't move and lower prices. Remember that this is a business and there are A LOT of factors at play. Supply and demand is key here. How do you think AMD can sell a $1500 CPU? Becuase they can't make enough so the demand is higher, therefore so is the price. If the supply goes past the demand then they'll have to lower the price. Basic economics here.

Serge84 said:
Their fabs suck because they can't make their saving grace that could turn the tables. But looks like the gient will fall at this rate. Way behind in fab capability not enough room to store conroes.

Our fabs suck? Are you kidding me? You do realize that Intel makes A LOT more than just CPUs right? Chipsets, Flash parts, Communications group, etc all take up capacity. When you ONLY make CPUs... Fab space past a few fabs isn't an issue. :rolleyes: Guess Intel should cut back on it's addidtional markets, stop making chipsets, and make less money so they can focus on CPUs. Oh... but then that would leave us to relying on VIA, SIS, and nVidia for our boards. LOL

Serge84 said:
Pretty sad way to go can't even bring the fight to the table when you actouly have a weapon that can do damage. Looks like intels fab capability will kill them.

Umm... have you seen the marketing? Yea, we do have a weapon and it will kill them as soon as Dell has a system to sell. Oh wait.. they already do. Sorry man... but retail availability is shit when you've got OEMs buying our CPUs by the truckload.

Thanks for handling that Poncho. though not sure if I could have stopped laughing long enough to type a response.

yes, the retail channel for Conroe is tight, but there are all teh OEMs to feed. I'm willing to bet that if you add OEM + retail, there are way, way more Conroe chips hitting the market right now at launch than there were AM2 chips from the manufacturing powerhouse of AMD when that launched.

I somehow doubt it will pan out the way the OP states it. I think we will see wide availability next week, as promised.

GoldenTiger said:
I somehow doubt it will pan out the way the OP states it. I think we will see wide availability next week, as promised.

I hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised if it remains tight in retail space until the end of the month. I wish there was more immediately available, but understand the econmics and demands of the ramp condition.

I just read through this thread after being irritated at TigerDirect for suckering me in with the "in stock" green light when I ordered the E6700 last week, but then label it as "backordered" as soon as I ordered. Well, it shipped out today and will be here no later than next Tuesday. COOL!!! Now, if only there were motherboards out there that were worth a crap... (drooling over the DFi 590 board that has yet to be released)...

Shawn

There are plenty of boards that will push 400+ fsb.. What's this crap you were referring to?

I feel a disturbance in the force.... as if a thousand intel fan boys suddenly screamed out in terror and were silenced at once

I wouldn't be surprised if what the OP tells us turns out to be true. I just talked to a friend whose mom is a sales manager at a major distributor (I think), and apparently, Intel has been having some production difficulties. Most of the already limited supply of C2D CPUs has been shipped to OEMs with little left for the retail channel.

Don't take my word for it though. I'm not sure how accurate this information is; I'm just repeating what my friend told me. Damn, if this is true, though, this is pretty bad news.

Working at Intel is not without its perks, but those perks don't include free E6600s delivered tomorrow. We don't even get ours until September :( (If you look at the picture, you'll probably want to tell me to STFU)

http://cs.wisc.edu/~mjr/shopintel.png

Disclaimer: The contet of this message is my personal opinion only and although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.

Backslash said:
I wouldn't be surprised if what the OP tells us turns out to be true. I just talked to a friend whose mom is a sales manager at a major distributor (I think), and apparently, Intel has been having some production difficulties. Most of the already limited supply of C2D CPUs has been shipped to OEMs with little left for the retail channel.

Don't take my word for it though. I'm not sure how accurate this information is; I'm just repeating what my friend told me. Damn, if this is true, though, this is pretty bad news.

Nope, no production issues that I'm aware of and being on the material input site I usually hear about these things. Just a matter of supply vs demand and retail vs OEM.

Just don't show em the rest of the prices, mattsaccount ;)

osalcido said:
I feel a disturbance in the force.... as if a thousand intel fan boys suddenly screamed out in terror and were silenced at once

Except Conroe still beats the pants off of AMD at the moment :) We're an impatient lot, humor us.

So you talked to two distributers and they have 50 of each per week? That is only two out of very many. They are not producing just 50 per week for each retailer. When you actually get word directly from intel, then come and let us know. Intel undoubtingly has been producing them for a while now. They are not going to ship the second they can churn out 50 for each retailer. They build up a large enough stock first like any other company of any kind would.

mattsaccount said:
Working at Intel is not without its perks, but those perks don't include free E6600s delivered tomorrow. We don't even get ours until September :( (If you look at the picture, you'll probably want to tell me to STFU)

http://cs.wisc.edu/~mjr/shopintel.png

Disclaimer: The contet of this message is my personal opinion only and although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.

Wow. You guys apparently get some great deals on Intel CPUs! Grats on that.

As for this ridiculous notion that there only "50 processors a week" moving from the Intel factories... well... look here:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011003000509_BK12401P.shtml

If their California wharehouse alone (one of FIVE wharehouses BLT has around the country) will have 1,620 processors on the 4th, they must have been stockpiling them for, what, the past 9 months?

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Change your home page, you'll find that your head will be clearer and you won't get laughed at every time you try to make a point.

True. That page doesn't look biased at all.

It only says worse things about AMD's fabs, now doesn't it?

talk2farley said:
Wow. You guys apparently get some great deals on Intel CPUs! Grats on that.

As for this ridiculous notion that there only "50 processors a week" moving from the Intel factories... well... look here:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011003000509_BK12401P.shtml

If their California wharehouse alone (one of FIVE wharehouses BLT has around the country) will have 1,620 processors on the 4th, they must have been stockpiling them for, what, the past 9 months?

Those aren't really BLT's warehouses though, I read somewhere that those are the warehouses for one of the big distributors (don't remember which one though).

Back