On screen temperature display?

Frosteh

2[H]4U
Does anyone know of an application that will read the temperature of a Nvidia video card and display the current temperature on the screen as an overlay so you can see it in games or any other running 3d apps.

Oblivion keeps crashing on me and I would like to know if its because of the video card getting too hot, I'd also like to overclock my new 7950 GX2 and keep an eye on video card temperatures while its under full working load.

Also another quick question, does anyone know what is a reasonably maximum temperature to run video cards at so I know when to back up on the overclocking. Typically I just wait until I get artifacts and then back up on the overclock by 10-15Mhz

Cheers

sry i only know an ati app Ati Tray Tools which has on screeen display feature. but i could recomend SysTool, it can read lots of stuff like temps and display it on a graph (and log it too i think)

Rivatuner gives you a graph which can be run in the background of a game so you can see how the temperatures are doing. It also allows for overclocking.

Everest is a great program that gives you more than just video card temps. It doesn't however have the ability to appear over a game. There is always ALT-TAB though.

SuX0rz said:
Everest is a great program that gives you more than just video card temps. It doesn't however have the ability to appear over a game. There is always ALT-TAB though.

I have one problems with everest: it has always reported a different temperature to that of the nVidia control panel or any other program for that matter (both 6800GT and 7900GT, different motherboards as well).

The other thing is when looking to see how your temperatures are, don't rely on alt-tabbing. By the time (even for a second) your computer shows you the taskbar, temperatures will have changed. I just think it's easier to see a graph of your temperature over time, as it will give you a better idea of when thermal throttling could be occuring, etc.

I prefer to use a second screen, doesn't interrupt the game that way.

I use everest as well.

You can set it to log the temps every few seconds, like every 5 seconds, to a html file. Its useful so if your game crashes, you can simply open the log file and it will show you your temps.

G15 Gaming Keyboard-100 Dollars
Speedfan- 0 dollars
EzLCD System Monitor from www.g15forums.com -0 dollars
knowing temperatures of everything in your computer- priceless

There are somethings money cant buy, for everything else, theres mastercard!

(if you have a g15 'which i doubt you do' lcdstudio lets you put gpu temps on the display)

Your GPU will throttle automatically if it exceeds a certain temp. (Most of the time 120C)

Also, you might want to try the latest patch for oblivion.

Firebat said:
Your GPU will throttle automatically if it exceeds a certain temp. (Most of the time 120C)

I've got the 1.15 patch or whatever it is, it's not heat that crashing it I've determined, its after I've been playing for several hours and It has to load a new area (when passing throug doors)

I don't have a 2nd monitor so thats out of the question, alt tabbing is usualy too slow as the GPU heat can drop a minimum of 5-6 degrees instantly as soon as you alt tab.

There must be a decent on screen display around somewhere...

I haven't played oblivion, but could you run it in windowed mode? That way you could see everest/mbm/nvidia control panel as well as play the game.

Alternatively, you could pick up an old crt from a thrift store for a few bucks. Having two monitors makes such a difference.

powerstrip does it, it ccan also do it for both video cards if you use sli.

google for powerstrip and you can download it for free at www.entechtaiwan.net

I have a 7950 GX2 I was under the impressiont hat SLI set ups dont support 2 monitors at the same time.

Anyhow I will check out powerstrip and get back to you, thanks.

*edit*

I tried with oblivion and the OSD simply wont pop up when I use the hotkeys

*edit 2*

Ok, it seems to pop up in windows when I have firefox selected but not any other explorer window, and in game it wont pop up...seems rather...akward..

I followed those instructions he gave exactly and I cant get the OSD to work, the server runs fine I have all the OSD stuff set, the hotkey works in and out of game to stop/start it but it just doesnt overlay :(

*edit*

I got it working, you have to remove the -f flag from the startup and then run it, and then reconfig the startup to use the -f flag, as his note mentions it neesd to run once without the flag to get the correct data.

Firebat said:

I am sorry, but that temp scares the hell out of me, the threshold temp in my control panel says 145c, I am willing to bet that the card will fry long before that temp! is there anyway to lower the threshold temp for Nvidia based cards?

Back