Accessing RAID 0 HDD's

Himmler

Weaksauce
Back in May computer went downhill and I haven't been able to boot it up or anything. Since then I have decided to go with a new comp with what is in my sig. My previous computer had 2 WD Raptor in RAID 0. I was not able to access the drives at all on my previous computer and I have no idea what so ever how to get into windows on my other comp so my question stands. Is it possible to gain access to a RAID 0 configuration on a different computer? If I install the RAID drivers on my mobo and do everything right for a RAID 0 configuration, would it be possible to access the Raptors? I really don't want to loose the information on the drives as some of it is priceless to me (Music, photos, etc.). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952998
DougLite said:
When using a single disk, it is relatively straightforward to move the disk to a new system. Simply connect it to the new system, provided it has the same interface available. However, this is not so easy with a RAID array. A RAID BIOS must be able to read metadata from the array members in order to successfully construct the array and make it accessible to an operating system. Since RAID controller makers use different formats for their metadata (even controllers of different families from the same manufacturer may use incompatible metaadata formats) it is virtually impossible to move a RAID array to a different controller. When moving a RAID array to a new system, plans should be made to move the controller as well. With the popularity of motherboard integrated RAID controllers, this is extremely difficult to accomplish.
Been in the ANSWERS sticky for nearly a year now. I hope you backed up. Do you still have the old motherboard/RAID controller you used to create the RAID-0 array? That is still your best bet for getting the data back.

You may be able to try a software destriper, or creating a new array on your current system. Make sure the drives are connected in the same order that they were in the old system.

Whatever you do, DO NOT run any tools that write to the disk or move data, such as chkdsk, defragmenters, etc.

Back