E6300 Overclocks - Please Share Yours

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Just got in a retail E6300 from ClubIT.com and have it up and running at 2.8GHz (7*400) at 1.4V on a Gigabyte 965P-DQS with stock air cooler.

Anyone got any success stories to share? Just trying to figure out where this one is going to run at. Going to let it burn in tonight and see how it goes tomorrow with a bit more tweaking.

Sweet, I will give her some more V&H in the monring. Shee is still solid runnign now with 3 instances of Prime95(2 on CPU and 1 on RAM). Ram is at DDR2-1000.

If you want to get close to 500FSB you will probably need a better HS than the stock NB on the gigabyte boards. I think that's a limiting factor for some.

Eitherway, 400FSB for this little sucker ain't half bad. =)

right now dual priming at 2.93Ghz on the 6300....i wanna match an X6800 :D

got 19 sec super pi

Kyle, my 6300 with my Intel 975 bad axe is doing 400FSB at a little below stock volts. Right now I am fine with 2.8GHZ :)

Isn't there some kind of overclocking thread stickied at the top of this forum :confused:

20 hours later at full load at 2.8/400 and still going. I think she has more in her. :)

The memory bus starts to get a little flaky above 1100MHz even though the Corsair memory I am using I have seen rock solid at 1200MHz. I am running now at 3.15GHz (7*450) at 1.4V and it looks to be solid..all still with air cooling. Moving on....next stop 460.

mentok1982 said:
Sounds good so far Kyle. I have some good stable overclocks with the E6300 to share.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792
Most of them are using the Gigabyte board as well. Please post your info there when you are all set.

Thanks will do. I completely overlooked that. DOH!

Also looks like I iwll have a new record for you on the E6300. :)

Looks to be 3.29GHz (7*470) with 1.39V core. Requires the voltage tweak. Damn thing will not stabilize at 3.3 on air, but I am sure it will with water. Running a stability test now. Memory is at DDR2-940.

The CPU is out of retail stock from ClubIT!

e6300at3290MHz.gif

e6300-core2duo.jpg

e6300setup.jpg

Just started the Overclocking, right now running nicely at 2.55. Motherboard is MSI 975X Power up Edition.

untitled219.jpg

Bummer, hard locked at 42 minutes with the air cooling. Bumping back to 3.25GHz. I bet we see 3.35 or 3.4 on water, maybe better. I feel like this is a good peice of silicon. Heck, I may build myself a new system with this and drop a 7950 in it. ;)

I am currently testing the stability of 3.325ghz with 1.4v given to the CPU

I also posted 3.25ghz earlier with 4+ hours of GO dual core stress testing. It seems to be very stable.
3.jpg

1.jpg

Keep in mind all of this is on air with a Zalman7000 AlCu heatsink and fan

I am going to keep climbing higher and higher. I don't have but 1 case fan so I think that will be my next small investment.

That bios is for the DS3, not the DQ6.......I was confused there for a minute.

DQ6 - It has two X16 slots and 1394a, ALC888DD audio. And a "quad" bios feature...

mayakindaguy said:
Use the F4C. Someone had a problem with the F4E causing their mobo to not POST.

That BIOS is not for my motherboard. Mine is linked above.

Put the water cooler on it. Still would crash at 3.3GHz. Had to bump the voltage a bit, but at 1.5V it is running steady at 3.3GHz. CPU temp is showing 50C/123F, so it is nice and cool by Pentium standards. ;)

I could only get the one i had to 2760ghz stable , after that i needed to mess with it and tweak it a bit , but i had no time cos it was my nephews and i was just make it for him and overclocking it .

He was well happy cos he got nearly 50% more and a processor at that speed would cost more than £500 :)

Its good enough for everything , dont think there is a application that it would have a problem running.

Got it stable at 3.3GHz with a water cooler. Much beyond the 475MHz bus mark and it seems that the motherboard is the bottleneck.

I'm still testing, but so far I haven't hit any instability. This is as high as I've been so far.

C2D_3150.JPG

System:

Giga DS3 with F3 Bios
E6300 Retail (with retail HSF)
Corsair XMS2 PC6400 (5-5-5-17)

The impressive part is that I'm still at stock voltages on everything. I think this even beats my Celeron 300A from years ago. :)

Dave G.

Getting fairly high now. About 60c in that screen shot.

Interestingly though, the retail heatsink had a very slight lip on the outer edge. Once I removed the lip, my temps dropped a bunch (like 15c).

Dave G.

aldamon said:
Yeah, this E6300 is the best CPU I've bought in 6 years. Ridiculous value!

Yep, I feel a "New 300A" story coming on! :)

I couldn't agree more. Any thoughts on what will be the equivalent of the Abit BH6 1.1 and the 300a? That was a killer performance/price combo.

Our BH6 has been running 24/7 as a server since we bought it. Although we retired the 300a for a Celeron 667 it's been clocked up to 1000Mhz for years. It definitely sounds like we are back to the days where Intel’s chips had great thermal tolerance and even better overclocking potential.

scientificTHEgreat said:
I am currently testing the stability of 3.325ghz with 1.4v given to the CPU

I also posted 3.25ghz earlier with 4+ hours of GO dual core stress testing. It seems to be very stable.

Keep in mind all of this is on air with a Zalman7000 AlCu heatsink and fan

I am going to keep climbing higher and higher. I don't have but 1 case fan so I think that will be my next small investment.

What memory are you using out of curiosity? I am getting some OCZ XTC Platinum PC2-6400 and I'm not sure if it has enough to do 450+ at 5-5-5-15 but i'm just guessing at this point as I have no idea.

InternalStorm said:
What memory are you using out of curiosity? I am getting some OCZ XTC Platinum PC2-6400 and I'm not sure if it has enough to do 450+ at 5-5-5-15 but i'm just guessing at this point as I have no idea.

I am using some yet-to-released experimental RAM from Corsair. Has been good to 1200 at 2.2V on other boards, but have not gotten it stable on this board yet, but I have not tried greatly either. Will do that today.

Good old Kyle Bennett wouldn't happen to want to send that RAM over to me when he's done with it would he? :D

Hehe, no. It has been put to a lot of use lately.

For Fun.

Obvsiouly that's just for a screenshot. She actually runs pretty stable at 470. Tried a few different tests, but need to do some more to make sure.

When I try for a screen shot OC @ 485-490 I'll get a BSOD with IRQ not less than or equal. I tthink this is usually a driver conflict. Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to determine what's holding you back based on the BSOD.

Is a BSOD more likely the RAM or the MCH and a lock up or freeze on the computer the cpu? Just curious as I've actually found a good use for more mhz!!! and while I'm probably pretty much at the limit of the chip, I think there might be a bit left. :)

I'm really wanting to jump on this bandwagon too, I had a 300A back in the day. But after building a bunch of AMD 6100/6150 systems for the last year and looking the prices of the Intel stuff I'm having second thoughts. The CPU's seem quite reasonable but the motherboards and 2gb of decent quality DDR2 seem to really throw this way out of the budget categoy that the 300A was.

Kyle's build is something like -

CPU - $209
Mobo - $280
RAM - $~250?
========
$739

'Budget' AMD overclockers can be had for half that price. Of course the OC speed doesn't reach to the new standard of an OC'd E6300, but it's pretty good for half the cost.

But what I'm getting at is that the 300A was a true budget overclocker, whereas the E6300 seems more like a step up in price for the infrastructure to run it.

That's Kyle's build.

Mine:

6300=$199
DS3=$147
RAM=$150 (2gb DDRII 800)

Total=$496

I do agree that mobo prices should be A LOT cheaper and iron out some quirkiness (layout and probably some issues easily fixed via software), but I'm not complaining about a $200 cpu that easily does over 50-60% OC and outperforms both flagship processors from Intel and AMD with a nice OC. ;)

Within the next couple of months we are going to see “some” budget conroe compatible motherboards show up. The markup will go down a little on the processor and the RAM is going to become more common.

Meanwhile, if you are looking to build a “sempron budget” style system, the 915 prescott will just flatten every sempron out there. - Even when you take power and cooling into account.

Intel is back with a vengeance.

Back