Intel DG965OT Possable Problem

ky22

n00b
The specs DG965OT Technical Product Specification seems to really bother me. It only supports 1.8V ram. This seems like a really big problem if there is no adjustment in the bios. The DDR2-6200 seems to like higher voltage according to numerious manufacturers. Is that really a problem for me? Or is there adjustments that can help?

Where did you get this? I've been searching for the last three hours trying to find a review or specs that state this and nothing mentions it intel or anywhere else. I'm very interested in this board and I'm getting ready to build a new Conroe mATX system and I don't want to use that Gigabyte option(GA-8I945GZME-RH).

Its near impossible that intel would only include 1.8v for ram. theyre not morons. maybe it said 1.8v+...

I wish this is what I am reading. It's under Intel Desktop Board DG965OT Technical Documents.This is why i canceled my order. Maybe they support higher voltage but it doesn't mention it in the file and it's sure as hell scary.
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/ot/D5601201US.pdf :(

PS. it's mentioned under product description and system memory. They even listed the supported memory are like Hynix and Samsung which is really rare stuff in Canada.

PPS. Maybe they are morons if that's the case. Cuz I just stopped my purchase.

Is anyone using this board or know if this is a problem or not. I'm getting ready to start my build and this is the only thing I'm trying to decide on.

Not crap, but not the best gaming board...

Anyways, the .pdf does say it ONLY supports 1.8v RAM, so I would use a bit of caution there.

A quote from a topic on AnandTech:
Has anybody had ANY luck messing with the memory speeds?

My system will normally only boot if I set my memory options to auto detect. CPU-Z tells me it is running at 10-15-15-31 !!! Sometimes it will boot if I set my memory clock to 800MHz and 5-5-5-12, but CPU-Z still says my timings are 10-15-15-31, and the main bios screen says it's running at 667MHz, so it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The thing won't even work if I set it to 533MHz.

I am currently using Corsair xms 5-5-5-12 memory rated at 1.9V. I realise my memory wants .1V more than my board is giving it, but I would think that is within the tolerance. Plus I'd think it would work at 533MHz just fine.
This is about the Intel DP965LT. Different board but it has a 965-chipset and I believe the BIOS-settings are the same. Conclusion: the board cannot give more than 1.8V and that means lower timings than 5-5-5 are also not possible (like the pdf mentions).

So I'm still waiting for some descent mATX boards with a 965 chipset :( But I think there's good news. This week, the GA-965G-DS3 appeared on the Gigabyte-website. This is not a mATX mainboard but it uses the Intel G965 chipset. I believe that means Intel has finished the revision of the G965 and more mb's with that chipset wil be appear. And that also means more mATX boards because most of them wil use the G965 (don't care about the integrated graphics by the way ;)).

This could be a problem if you already have memory, but otherwise just buy DDRII-667 that works at 1.8v, or buy high quality DDRII-800 that will boot at 1.8v with default SPD timings (G.Skill *HZ, TeamGroup, anything using the D9-KZ chips).

Note that you're not gaining anything by running DDRII-800 with this board.

D-Three said:
A quote from a topic on AnandTech:

This is about the Intel DP965LT. Different board but it has a 965-chipset and I believe the BIOS-settings are the same. Conclusion: the board cannot give more than 1.8V and that means lower timings than 5-5-5 are also not possible (like the pdf mentions).

So I'm still waiting for some descent mATX boards with a 965 chipset :( But I think there's good news. This week, the GA-965G-DS3 appeared on the Gigabyte-website. This is not a mATX mainboard but it uses the Intel G965 chipset. I believe that means Intel has finished the revision of the G965 and more mb's with that chipset wil be appear. And that also means more mATX boards because most of them wil use the G965 (don't care about the integrated graphics by the way ;)).
Well that's two boards then so I hope you are right! It could also mean that they temporarily threw in the towel and are going to let current silicon out while they work on the problem. ATi had that defective SB450 Southbridge that caused boards to be held back, but they eventually released it. I don't believe they ever fixed the problem, but for most it wasn't a big deal.

I could care less about Intel's onboard video, I just want some decent 965 boards. I think they need to suck it up, give up on graphics and buy out nVidia.

Crap...read through this thread... This board happens to be part of the bundle package that Intel doles out to retailers every year. I was hoping for something better... Oh well, guess I'll have to pawn off the copy of Vista Ultimate they promise to ship with the bundle :/

Zoogle said:
Crap...read through this thread... This board happens to be part of the bundle package that Intel doles out to retailers every year. I was hoping for something better... Oh well, guess I'll have to pawn off the copy of Vista Ultimate they promise to ship with the bundle :/

That bundle is going to be several months away at the earliest, you know? :D

I saw newegg.com has the Intel BOXDG965RYCK in stock. Also not a mATX board but with G965 chipset. So I hope I'm right and the new revision of the G965 is already being produced.
And when will there be C2D compatible boards with nForce chipset?
sleepeeg3 said:
Well that's two boards then so I hope you are right!
Two?

Update on a semi-old post. I actually called Crucial.com and asked about this issue. They stated that the Ballstix RAM would not cause the 4 GB limitation on that motherboard. I could go up to 8 GB if they had 2 GB sticks available. They also stated that the 2.2V vs 1.8V issue was not a problem with the Ballistix RAM. Hmmm... Do you really trust the pre-sales person? I think I'd rather talk to a Technical Support person who actually dealt with this a little more. They state 100% compatability and warranty. Since the pre-sales person told me it would work, I would think they would definately have to stand by their word..... but then who pays for my motherboard when it gets fried?!? :)

Back