Viewsonic VX2025wm VS LG 204WT VS Dell 2007WFP

Bulwark

Limp Gawd
I know there are threads about each one out there and my impression from what I've read here is that the VX2025, which I can get for 339 CDN, isn't quite the favourite it once was....The LG204WT, which I can get for 369 CDN, seems to be okay with most people and the dell 2007WFP which is about $479 (hopefully it goes on sale soon), is pretty good as well.

what I was wondering is if anybody had any direct experience with some or all of these models and their ranking and thoughts of each one.

16 ms response time means the Dell sucks for games.

As for choosing between the other two... 5ms on the LG as opposed to 8ms on the VS. I don't think this makes a difference in games, however. Anything 8ms and below should be fine.

The LG thread is full of praise about the monitor's performance screening videos, so the main disadvantage of the TN panel seems to have been done away with. The ViewSonic probably still has an advantage when it comes to reducing twinkling in movies, due to its S-MVA panel. However, from the comments I've read, I'm not expecting this to be noticable at all. With newer features like dynamic contrast and a cleaner look, I'm picking up the LG sometime this week.

Also, neither monitor has fixed aspect ratio control in the OSD, but the Dell does. This could be important for those looking to game without stretching. Nvidia will cover you through their drivers, but Ati doesn't have any real fixed aspect support.

Wakamex said:

The Dell uses a different panel than the other two (can't think of the exact one) and a 16ms on that panel is equal to a 8ms TN panel. The Dell is fine for games.

Wakamex said:

IMG0016489.jpg

vs

IMG0016495.jpg

vs

IMG0016993.jpg

the top one is: TN 5 ms : Samsung SyncMaster 204B
middle one is: P-MVA 8ms : ViewSonic VX2025w
bottom one is: IPS 16 ms : Dell 2007WFP

(http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-16/updated-survey-13-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html)

and its the left side image that matters; to me it looks like the Dell has the least ghosting of all of those monitors.

I have the dell and it freaking rocks! It is fine for games and I don't notice any ghosting on it. If you can wait a few months, then I would wait for the 14 days of dell deals. That's what I did and got the 2007wfp for $399 last month, but that was when the regular price was $599. They've since dropped the reg price to $549, so the next dell day deals the monitor should be even cheaper than $399.

the dell is 16ms black to white to black but is 8ms grey to grey which is what the response times of the other monitors is in. So basically the dell is equal to the VX2025w. That is why so many have 2007wfp and game with them with no complaints.

I prefer my VX2025wm. GREAT LCD!

Not a big fan of Dells because I don't associate anything they make with gaming even though they've tried hard to get in on the market. Their products just don't appeal to me that much. Things do change though...

dR.Jester said:

Not a big fan of Dells because I don't associate anything they make with gaming even though they've tried hard to get in on the market. Their products just don't appeal to me that much. Things do change though...

While I agree with this comment about their computers, I don't with their monitors cause they don't even make their own monitors but use panels from samsung, lg, philips, etc. I have zero complaints with my dell monitor. Best monitor I've ever owned. :D

dR.Jester said:
Have you actually seen the 2007fpw?

So you don't base your opinions on fact? I'm guessing you're the type of person that wouldn't buy a 200MPH 40MPG 10 thousand dollar sports car because its made by Kia, and you don't associate them with making sporty cars.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4203

Theres a review of the 2007WFP vs the VX2025WM, however the 2007WFP in that review is an older revision and the banding issues have been fixed since then (only in desktop mode though).

All in all (assuming you get a 2007WFP A02 revision); the Dell is a far better monitor in every way.

si0dine said:

So you don't base your opinions on fact? I'm guessing you're the type of person that wouldn't buy a 200MPH 40MPG 10 thousand dollar sports car because its made by Kia, and you don't associate them with making sporty cars.

Theres a review of the 2007WFP vs the VX2025WM, however the 2007WFP in that review is an older revision and the banding issues have been fixed since then (only in desktop mode though).

All in all (assuming you get a 2007WFP A02 revision); the Dell is a far better monitor in every way.
Unless there is a seperate review other than what the OP posted that is a different monitor he is comparing to the 2007WFP. He is comparing the ViewSonic VA2012WB to the Dell 2007WFP. The 2025 is a very different monitor.

si0dine said:

Saw plenty at QuakeCon this year, thanks for asking.

Kia's suck. Cheap cars.

Dell never fixed the problem in an orderly fashion. They half-assed the job by simply disabling a feature.

I'll stick with companies who get it right the first time.

dR.Jester said:
Saw plenty at QuakeCon this year, thanks for asking.

Kia's suck. Cheap cars.

Dell never fixed the problem in an orderly fashion. They half-assed the job by simply disabling a feature.

I'll stick with companies who get it right the first time.

Someone loves his own opinion...

In any case, you're right, Dell should never have let that problem out the door. It was unacceptable, and their answer, while satisfactory (personally, I don't think they should have had any of that post-processing in the first place), wasn't technically a fix so much as just disabling a broken feature.

With that said, I do have to call you on your "I'll stick with companies who get it right the first time." remark with regards to Viewsonic. Here's a link to my personal war with their disgusting customer service, and pathetic quality control. I will have you all know, I am STILL waiting for my refund.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1081598

It's true, Dell should never have let that problem out the door. However, they did admit that the issue existed, and provided, no questions asked, cross-shipment replacements for every monitor affected. Viewsonic, on the other hand, steadfastly refuses to acknowledge any such product flaw, and now will not even give you a replacement monitor (which they never offered advanced replacement for in the first place), and instead tell you to send your monitor in for a two-week, do-nothing repair.

The VX2025wm is a fine monitor. It has some viewing angle problems, making it difficult to get a solid color definition for graphics editing, but it's largely a great bargain for the price. Hence, if you were to make the claim that you preferred the VX2025wm over the 2007WFP, I'd completely understand. What I can't agree with is when you claim Viewsonic to be a company that "gets it right the first time." They designed a semi-faulty monitor, hired less intelligible people than even Dell's famous outsourced support, provided the slowest possible shipping nearly every case for the customer, proved that their repair facilities do little more than give the customer new cables, and refused to provide a replacement until I got the Better Business Bureau involved.

I'm glad you enjoy your VX2025wm, dR.Jester. For your sake, I hope you never have a single problem with it.

I really, really wanted a Viewsonic VX2025WM. I was all pumped, had my cash ready to buy it last friday. Got to the store and looked at it, and was like "wow, this thing is kinda busted looking".

So i ordered a 2007WFP. Looks much nicer, in my opinion.

freakycody said:
the dell is 16ms black to white to black but is 8ms grey to grey which is what the response times of the other monitors is in. So basically the dell is equal to the VX2025w. That is why so many have 2007wfp and game with them with no complaints.

what he said. Completely.

To curb any chance of things getting out of hand, I'd really like to keep things to a comparison of those 3 models or any other model in that price range I should consider.

It's not that I don't appreciate the responses so far, but there's probably already a thread or two for each monitor I'm looking at where a third of the ppl love the monitor, a third didn't like and the last third are trying to decided whether they should buy it lol :D

LCD's are tricky thing... they seem to look different to different people, and each person tends to vary in priorities. I'm also the market for an LCD at the moment and set my budget at $400CDN before tax (14%). I'm sure I could appreciate something that costs more but i'm hesitant to break $500CDN. That said...

I discounted ViewSonic off the hop due to the lack of HDCP, sparkling issues and that the design is a little clunky looking. I have a hard time finding stock on NEC's, i'm not a huge fan of Acer products given my experience with their notebooks/desktops and I don't have much an opinion on BenQ.

So, at the moment, i've got the LG204WT ($369) and Samsung 205BW ($399 - price matched) on my desk at the moment. Both use TN panels and have a comparable feature set, so it was down to my eyes. Both seem comparably fast based on gaming and video playback with no noticable ghosting. However, the Samsung appears to have a cleaner image and better colour accuracy... even when connected via VGA. The LG may have a slightly more even backlight but it's not a huge difference unless you're exceptionally picky about working with all black backgrounds in dark rooms.

I'd like to avoid breaking my budget, but I have been tempted to spend a little more and the following come to mind - Dell 2007WFP ($479CDN) and the Samsung 215TW ($599CDN). Both have a reputation, but the Dell gets a lot of praise. I can't buy either of these locally so returning them would be more painful on my part....

kick said:
LCD's are tricky thing... they seem to look different to different people, and each person tends to vary in priorities.

yup that's why I prefer having the inputs from a person who has direct experience with some or all of my choices....at least that way I get opinions on different models from the same perspective.

Back