Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM Preview, Pics

Pretzel

Limp Gawd
Monitor Type Flat Panel LCD TFT (Active Matrix)
Size 22"
Contrast Ratio 700:1
Max. Resolution 1680 x 1050
Brightness 300 cd/m²
Response Time 5 ms
Dot Pitch .282 mm
Color Depth 24-bit (16.7M Colors)
Digital Video Input Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Max. Viewing Angle - Horizontal 170
Max. Viewing Angle - Vertical 160
Native (Recommended) Resolution 1680 x 1050
Speaker(s) 2x2w
Width 46.8 cm
Other Features VESA External Mounting
MPN VX2235WM
Panel Most likely TN from Chi Mei

vx2235wm1vc7.jpg

viewug6.jpg

5071rp3.jpg

16.7 colors eh? Does this use the same panel as Westinghouse? Westinghouse says its 16.7 but others say its 16.2.

These new TN panels still use dithering, but are specced at 16.7m colors.

Not sure I like the styling on that one...I really need to see it in person. Also, cable management was more nicely done on the VX2025WM imo.

The new TN's are not true 8-bit panels. They are 6-bit+2 from dithering. They look WAY better than the old 6-bit TN's, but still not as good as a true 8-bit.

Keep in mind that we cannot yet be 100% certain that this Viewsonic is going to use one of the new TN's - but it seems very highly likely.

joemama said:
Not sure I like the styling on that one...I really need to see it in person. Also, cable management was more nicely done on the VX2025WM imo.

Have to agree. The bezel is a bit too thick.

Dutch said:
Have to agree. The bezel is a bit too thick.
Monitor makers really need to stop putting speakers on their panels...does anyone actually use monitor speakers?

joemama said:
Monitor makers really need to stop putting speakers on their panels...does anyone actually use monitor speakers?

Or they just need to put some component inputs on it. I would love to have it as a second pc monitor that I could hook my 360 up to for some hd gamming fun. Then maybe I could read the text in dead rising without fighting for the only hd tv in my house. Also be nice for a hd tv in the computer room(since I know I could use the vga for the 360)

I really cant wait for this one, been looking at the westy but after seeing this, I think I found my new monitor

yteah, i think the speaker should be an "optional" item,

i can see it being useful in say an office settings where you dont need, or have room for seperate speakers.

or at least include speakers that sounds okay.

MrGuvernment said:
but it is a true 8bit panel?
At a speed at 5ms, I would guess no. It's probably 6 bit + 2 using dithering to display "close" to 8 bit color. That enables it to keep the fast response time.

"Manufacturers employ a technique referred to as dithering. This is an effect where nearby pixels use slightly varying shades or color that trick the human eye into perceiving the desired color even though it isn't truly that color. A color newspaper photo is a good way to see this effect in practice. (In print the effect is called half-tones.) By using this technique, the manufacturers claim to achieve a color depth close to that of the true color displays" (while maintaing fast response times.)

Here's a review on the Samsung SyncMaster 225BW LCD which is most likely using the same panel as the Viewsonic (same specs)

silentsammy said:
I'd rather have them drop the speakers and knock $10 off the price of the monitor.
I totally agree, i wish they would offer that on TV's aswell

joemama said:

The vast majority do, actually. We are the minority...

With that being said I actually don't mind my flat panels having built in speakers. They come in handy for situations where you need a rather portable setup and don't want to drag a subwoofer along and don't plan to use headphones.

I definately dislike the bezel design on this viewsonic. Uuuuuugly!

Scyles said:
The new TN's are not true 8-bit panels. They are 6-bit+2 from dithering. They look WAY better than the old 6-bit TN's, but still not as good as a true 8-bit.

Keep in mind that we cannot yet be 100% certain that this Viewsonic is going to use one of the new TN's - but it seems very highly likely.
can you back that up? From my understanding these use a new 8-bit TN panel.

Sigh.

Yet another mysterious monitor that you can only get online that NOBODY knows ANYTHING about.

What does it take to get a professional review of these monitors? Jesus christ...

Has anyone actually SEEN one in a costco?

Has Viewsonic gotten rid of the annoying blue input source box that pops up everytime the resolution changes? Only thing I hate about my Viewsonic...

I'm really itching to see a review of this thing. I may have to bite the bullet and get one if no-one else will. :)

According to Tftcentral the panel is:
ViewSonic VX2235WM 5ms G2G 22"WS Chi Mei Optoelectronics S-MVA (M220Z1-L01)

Pretzel said:
At a speed at 5ms, I would guess no. It's probably 6 bit + 2 using dithering to display "close" to 8 bit color. That enables it to keep the fast response time.

"Manufacturers employ a technique referred to as dithering. This is an effect where nearby pixels use slightly varying shades or color that trick the human eye into perceiving the desired color even though it isn't truly that color. A color newspaper photo is a good way to see this effect in practice. (In print the effect is called half-tones.) By using this technique, the manufacturers claim to achieve a color depth close to that of the true color displays" (while maintaing fast response times.)

Here's a review on the Samsung SyncMaster 225BW LCD which is most likely using the same panel as the Viewsonic (same specs)

where can you buy the samsung in store?

I'm considering returning my samsung 205bw and getting this monitor from costco. Any feedback would be great...

Jeff

Somebody get one and give us a review. My Acer 22" was $399 at Costco so if this performs as well its a winner.

psb said:
Somebody get one and give us a review. My Acer 22" was $399 at Costco so if this performs as well its a winner.

did you buy the acer in store or online, 'cause i don't see it on costco.com. man, some times i wish i didn't do research for everything i plan to buy. i want to be those kind of people who just go out and buy things and not care about the technical stuff.

i've got my eyes on these..

Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM
Samsung SyncMaster 225BW
Westinghouse 22"
and the Acer mentioned above these are all within my budget.

xeetim said:
did you buy the acer in store or online, 'cause i don't see it on costco.com. man, some times i wish i didn't do research for everything i plan to buy. i want to be those kind of people who just go out and buy things and not care about the technical stuff.

Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM
Samsung SyncMaster 225BW
Westinghouse 22"
Somebody here bought both the Westinghouse and Acer to compare and went with the Acer...both are priced right but both are kind of ugly. The Westy is the ugliest followed by the Viewsonic (imo) and then the Acer is just kinda plain looking and I haven't seen the Samsung. Is it too much to ask to have performance and good looks also? (see sig ;) )

LostStorm said:
According to Tftcentral the panel is:
ViewSonic VX2235WM 5ms G2G 22"WS Chi Mei Optoelectronics S-MVA (M220Z1-L01)

Hmmm....I found another site that lists the panel type as a TN rather than an S-MVA. I have no clue which is right...???
:confused:

Link

We won't know until someone here actually checks it out in person. The manufacturers have repeatedly lied about panel specs.

I dont know silentsammy, on one part of site it say its has 16.7 million colors in overview and then again in specs it says it has 16.2 million. It looks like we all have to play wait game again

It definitly uses the Chei Mei panel the Westinghouse uses and it is only 6 bit so TN or S-MVA it does not look very hopeful either way

The Westinghouse 22, Samsung 225b, Acer 22, and this Viewsonic all use the same TN panel that is made by Chei Mei. They're all around the same price, $350-$399.

DefBringer said:
The Westinghouse 22, Samsung 225b, Acer 22, and this Viewsonic all use the same TN panel that is made by Chei Mei. They're all around the same price, $350-$399.

Not Quite.

Samsung makes their own 22 inch TN panel and that is what is used in the 225BW.

The other 3 use the Chei Mei panel.

travbomb said:
Not Quite.

Samsung makes their own 22 inch TN panel and that is what is used in the 225BW.

The other 3 use the Chei Mei panel.
It has the exact same specs as the others, the chances of Samsung developing their own panel that has the same exact specs is slim. Remember, this is the B line which is the value/budget line of Samsung monitors. Even still, out of all the 22" monitors on the market, this one has the best-looking bezel.

DefBringer said:
It has the exact same specs as the others, the chances of Samsung developing their own panel that has the same exact specs is slim. Remember, this is the B line which is the value/budget line of Samsung monitors. Even still, out of all the 22" monitors on the market, this one has the best-looking bezel.

Are you serious? Do some research next time.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitor/LTM220M1/LTM220M1.htm

PS - I work for an LCD manufacturer

xeetim said:

Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM
Samsung SyncMaster 225BW
Westinghouse 22"

I walked in the Torrance CA store 4 weeks ago and there it was. I've never seen it on costco.com either

Back