Partition help

cellophane-noodles

Weaksauce
So, basically what I want for my partition system is this:

(320gb total)
C:\ - 30gb - windows
D:\ - 100gb - programs
E:\ - 190gb - data

The question is, where do I put the documents and settings folder which includes my documents? I was thinking I should put it in with the programs because some programs use the documents and settings app data, but then my documents would be in with the programs. Is there a way to have the documents and settings folder in one partition and the my documents folder in another? What's the best way to set this up?

One more thing, is there a good guide to nlite listing a bunch of things that aren't needed?

Thanks

I would make one partition for apps, OS, and games, and then make a separate one for storage. I still have no idea where people are getting these dieas that breaking up the apps and the OS brings any kind of benefit, especially in a one drive system.

Making something more complicated doesn't make it better. Follow the KISS rule. I'd split that drive up to be something like a 50 or 60 GB C drive, and leave the rest for D as storage, making both partitions primary partitions.
maplekandalf said:
Is there a way to have the documents and settings folder in one partition and the my documents folder in another? What's the best way to set this up?
There's no reason to do this on a single drive system. If you are worried about data loss, use an external drive and Microsoft's SyncToy. If you are trying to save time when reformatting, use the same external drive, and something like Ghost.

As ^^ stated, there is not reason for a seperate drive for apps and what not.

Now as far as My Documents, I believe there is a registry tweak or something that allows you to direct Windows to a different location than the default one.

Okay, thanks for that insight. But I would still like to move my documents to the data part. How do I do that?

Edit: Okay I'll look into it.

maplekandalf said:
Okay, thanks for that insight. But I would still like to move my documents to the data part. How do I do that?

Moving it to another partition on the same drive will do nothing for you. If the hard drive dies, you lose the data. If you get a virus, the data is still vulnerable. That's why I sugessted leaving it alone, and having SyncToys back it up to an external drive for you.

maplekandalf said:

right-click on My Documents on your desktop, go to properties. change the location to D:\My Documents

enjoy :)

Yeah, I know it'll be just as vulnerable, i'm going to back it up no matter what. But I would like to have my documents with the other data.

maplekandalf said:
Yeah, I know it'll be just as vulnerable, i'm going to back it up no matter what. But I would like to have my documents with the other data.
I was a little too blunt I think, but the reason for it is the high number of threads like this, where the OP is asking the same rough questions because they swear some "friend" told them they'd have a huge increase in performance, or a much quicker install time. I'm not accusing you of this...that's just the way most of these threads are. The above advice will let you redirect the path of the My Documents folder. As long as you're going to keep good back ups, you'll be fine. Just be aware that should you re-install XP, it will be pointing back to the C:\ drive.

Is this a weekly new thread topic? How many times do we need to go through this before we're just cutting and pasting replies from previous threads posted between five and seven days prior? Does the search function not work? Can we maybe sticky a single partitioning thread so we are not inundated with the same question hundreds of times?

lol, dont know why there is so much question on partition's
Size it how you want, if you dont like it, easy Format and start over :p
I usually do One Partition for my os/programs, than others for storage music/video ect

Back