Buying an E6600? Look in here....

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
If at all possible, try to get a week 26 chip. They're really OCing a lot better than the previous ones. Guys are getting 3.6GHz on air with the same amount of voltage a lot of us are using to get 3.2/3.3GHz stable. Way better chips.

That said I've got a week 23 :( and from what I've been reading ...

Week 23 < Week 24 < Week 25 < Week 26

Unfortunately I don't think most big online stores will let you cherry pick procs.

Just an FYI.

EDIT: I just read another guys post and his week 26 E6600 is not quite as impressive as some others, but it is still better than any week 23 I've seen.

I have a week 27 how good are these for oc in comparison to the other weeks

I have an OEM version with no information on the box. However, on the heat spreader it says:

6600SL9S8 MALAY
L625A289

And then on the top, in the notch on the green board is:

2L623194
A0632

any idea on how to read this?

I'd call it un-substantiated. For me the week 23 chips clocked best. (dealt with 4 C2Ds so far)

Also most E6700s so far have been week 23 ones. I doubt this means week 23 > week 2x, though. I'd say there hasn't been any distinguishable difference between different production weeks.

NeoLogic said:
I have an OEM version with no information on the box. However, on the heat spreader it says:

6600SL9S8 MALAY
L625A289

And then on the top, in the notch on the green board is:

2L623194
A0632

any idea on how to read this?

Week 25.

Lol, how did you know that though? I'd like to be able to read mine when I get home. TIA. :)

Week 26 retail
Gigabyte DS3 F4e bios

I am using windows vista & have not had time to install XP so I can't run all the software tests to verify 100% rock solid. Out of the box with stock cooling I was able to get 3.4ghz and was able to install Vista build 5472 without any stability problems. The temps are too high with the stock cooler, so I've backed things down to 3ghz until the water cooling setup arrives.

I still have to sort out memory though, the OCZ gold refused to boot with my Gigabyte DS3. Im using some $180 patriot from Fry's until I can find G.Skill or some other 800mhz. With some good ram this chip should be good for 3.8+ Seeing how this chip may have some potential Im considering going phase change or chilled water cooling setup.

Actually Brahmzy, from what I have read on various forums, week 26 is the WORST week, with earlier ones such as 23 being best.

Really? That contradicts what I've read....but it's certainly possible. Somewhere around here or xs forums, there's a week # OC database and I can't find it.

Brahmzy said:
Week 23 < Week 24 < Week 25 < Week 26

GoldenTiger said:
week 26 is the WORST week

This doesn't seem to hold up from the OC database here on [H] - 23, 24, and 25 are spread around with no obvious pattern. The OC database sticky on XS doesn't list week numbers. If you find it, let me know.

Brahmzy said:
Really? That contradicts what I've read....but it's certainly possible. Somewhere around here or xs forums, there's a week # OC database and I can't find it.

My week 23 is nothing compared to how hot my frackin' North Bridge gets. Besides water, what's the best cooling for the NB. I really can't tell how high mine would go until that's straightened out.

Donnie27 said:
My week 23 is nothing compared to how hot my frackin' North Bridge gets. Besides water, what's the best cooling for the NB. I really can't tell how high mine would go until that's straightened out.

Signature is 10 lines maximum.

Donnie27 said:

Point an 80mm fan at it. That dropped the temp significantly for me.

You guys scare me because two acellero's on x1900's wil be blowing 2 * x1900 heat at the board. Well, my stacker 830 has a door fan that has my AMD rig stable.

can i ask you guys a question? you overclock a 2.4ghz conroe proc. to 3.2ghz, how fast is that??

samsung.204b said:
can i ask you guys a question? you overclock a 2.4ghz conroe proc. to 3.2ghz, how fast is that??

Fast. :p

OK, seriously. Your question doesn't make sense. How do you want the answer to your question? 3DMark scores? GB pr0n encoded to Divx per hour? The short answer is it's faster than anything you can buy right now at stock.

ok. the e6600 is faster than the fx62 (at stock), and you guys oc it to 3.2ghz, imo that's amazing. how is it, is it like a p4 5.0ghz (comparing it to a p4) ?

yea, but you can't bench it... Still, nobody knows how fast a P4 really is at 7.0+

It's fast and I see a fairly big difference in games just with the 800MHz overclock. Tht said, I'm still pissed I can't do 3.6GHz stable. :mad:

Greedy we all are. :)

mine's week 24 = 2.75Ghz

BUT it seems to be a FSB hold me back, b/c I can lower the multiplier and still hit instability at the same exact FSB.

I'll be doing some more testing later this week with a fan on the northbridge. If adding active cooling to the northbridge doesn't work I'm going to try new ram after that.

samsung.204b said:
ok. the e6600 is faster than the fx62 (at stock), and you guys oc it to 3.2ghz, imo that's amazing. how is it, is it like a p4 5.0ghz (comparing it to a p4) ?

One thing I've been curious of, how do the different conroe flavors compair when at the same clock speed? So, benchmark wise, how similar are the e6300, e6400, e6600, e6700, and e6800 at the same clock speed of, say, 3.2 GHz? Are there noticable differences between the CPUs when all are at the same clock speed?

Levii said:
One thing I've been curious of, how do the different conroe flavors compair when at the same clock speed? So, benchmark wise, how similar are the e6300, e6400, e6600, e6700, and e6800 at the same clock speed of, say, 3.2 GHz? Are there noticable differences between the CPUs when all are at the same clock speed?

Yes, the 4MB chips (6600, 6700, X6800) are faster at the same clock versus an Allendale at an equal clock speed.

For example, I run SuperPI at the same speed (at 3.0GHz) as Allendale's at 3.2 or so.

Back