Vista RC1!!!!!!!!!!!

oh dident even read it, well RC-1 is coming out in a few days from what i read

I did the $10 thingy and got the disc version of Beta 2 and RC1 ....should be getting it as soon as it's released, beats the hell out of waiting for the download :cool: At the posted price ranges of the versions, looks like I may be running the RC1 for quite a spell rather than shell out the big bucks for the full bells and whistle upgrade.

Anyone know if a Dell Wireless 1350 will work in Vista? If it does, then i'm gonna try it out on my notebook.

-(Xyphox)- said:
oh dident even read it, well RC-1 is coming out in a few days from what i read
I think the reason that MS released the pre-RC1 is because RC1 isn't coming out as soon as expected.

I was hoping for RC1 by the end of the month as other sites suggested.

Do you have a link to do the $10 thingy?

MajorDomo said:
I did the $10 thingy and got the disc version of Beta 2 and RC1 ....should be getting it as soon as it's released, beats the hell out of waiting for the download :cool: At the posted price ranges of the versions, looks like I may be running the RC1 for quite a spell rather than shell out the big bucks for the full bells and whistle upgrade.

The $10 "thingie" was an offer from MS to get both versions (32/64 bit) of Vista Beta 2 on disk.
It's over now and no longer available.

I'm pretty sure that those who took advantage of this initial offer also get RC1 sent along when it's released.
I hope.

Quck question: I've started the DL but there was no option to sign up and recieve a code or anything so I was wondering if my Vista Beta 2 activation code will work?

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista.

Access to this file is restricted to Customer Preview Program participants only. Please refer to your invitation email for access instructions.

Sad Panda.

:((

edit: I wish microsoft would just put up a torrent. Would save them a lot of bandwidth, and us some time.

Haha, I just got in line in time then. Just got home from school and checked out [H] - 20% now.

I'm thinking about buying Vista, quite seriously, likely upgrading to Ultimate. But I wonder if this pre-RC1 build will help me with that or not. I really wanted to try the 64-bit version also... will RC1 have 64-bit available? I say all this because I didn't get in the beta in time. :(

Grrr, I wish I had gotten a key from beta 2! I wonder pre-RC1 will still work, and be activated and all, if I used a key from a... friend.

I think the Beta 2 key will allow you to run it on 10 computers.

What I dont know is I only have a key for 64 bit on the Beta 2. Will it work on the Pre-RC1 32 bit version???

ChingChang said:
I wish microsoft would just put up a torrent. Would save them a lot of bandwidth, and us some time.

I dunno about the last part, I'm maxing out my 8meg connection downloading it.

ShadowDragon said:
I dunno about the last part, I'm maxing out my 8meg connection downloading it.
Not bad. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I can't connect using the download manager. It says "Network error, cannot download. Check connections and try again."
:(

I have the Beta 2 at home with a key now I have one question:

When I get home tonight and want to take part in the Pre-RC1 release and all 100,000 are already downloaded, what do I do?

so does anyone know why I get this message?

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista.
Access to this file is restricted to Customer Preview Program participants only. Please refer to your invitation email for access instructions.

obviouslytom said:
When I get home tonight and want to take part in the Pre-RC1 release and all 100,000 are already downloaded, what do I do?
look for screenshots on forums ;)

Maybe it tracks by IP? or current windows product key? I've formatted and reinstalled XP a couple times since Beta 2 so it sure isn't using a cookie. I'm getting the download page on two seperate public IP's though, but I also went to the Beta 2 page on both machines too.

ShadowDragon said:
Maybe it tracks by IP? or current windows product key? I've formatted and reinstalled XP a couple times since Beta 2 so it sure isn't using a cookie. I'm getting the download page on two seperate public IP's though, but I also went to the Beta 2 page on both machines too.
That in response to my post?

their website says this
Windows Vista Customer Preview Program
The Windows Vista Customer Preview Program is now closed for new participants. Once you have installed Windows Vista Beta 2, be sure to visit the Resource Center to download the Windows Vista Product Guide and discover more information that will help you get up and running quickly.

well I was able to download beta 2, and I am subscribed to their newsletter or whatever it is. Here's my previous email:
Please keep this e-mail for your records.

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2. This email contains information on how to access the download and the Product Key (below) you will need to install Windows Vista. You may install Beta 2 on up to 10 PCs using the same Product Key.

Please use the appropriate link below to access the download site for the language and edition you want:

English 32-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/en/x86/download.htm
English 64-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/en/x64/download.htm
German 32-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/de/x86/download.htm
German 64-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/de/x64/download.htm
Japanese 32-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/jp/x86/download.htm
Japanese 64-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/jp/x64/download.htm

Due to the size of the download we recommend you use the Download Manager provided as it will allow you to resume the download if your Internet connection is interrupted during the process.

For additional download and DVD-burning instructions, please refer to: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=67708

To help answer questions you may have related to installation and use, we have created newsgroups for Windows Vista Beta 2. To join or read postings in these newsgroups please visit http://windowshelp.microsoft.com.

For the latest information on Windows Vista, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=65938.

Thank You,
Microsoft

Product Key:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

so what is this Customer Preview Program???

Yes it was, sorry.

According to my friend at MS, the full RC1 will be available to everyone that signed up (no ETA yet though, definately not next week), this pre-RC1 was just a sneak peek for the first 100k to grab it.

Wonder if you will be able to play copy protected media - DVD's, Audio CD's that are copy protected.

Read the other day that these features will only be available in the 64bit... then again, as I recollect, it may be the HD versions of these types of media with the copy protection on them that won't play...

If I find the article, I will link it here...

L8ter...

Pierre said:
Wonder if you will be able to play copy protected media - DVD's, Audio CD's that are copy protected.

Read the other day that these features will only be available in the 64bit... then again, as I recollect, it may be the HD versions of these types of media with the copy protection on them that won't play...

If I find the article, I will link it here...

L8ter...

That requirement was sent down by the MPAA and only applies to HD content.

Some pics and info (I posted the same info on another board)

ok here we go with pics:

vista1.jpg

In this pic we have the basic desktop. On the right is a widget toolbar that is translucent until you mouse over it. You can add neat things like a calendar, notepad, clocks, CPU meter etc. I loaded up a couple just for kicks.

vista2.jpg

Here is where the Aero desktop takes off. WIth windowskey+Tab you can pull up a 3D representation of the task switching bar. Just hold down the windows key to toggle through.

vista3.jpg

On the left you can see Media player 11, not too bad. Loads ALOT faster than 9 and 10. Look closely at the boarders of the open applications, and you'll see they're slightly opaque. Minimizing and maximizing apps/windows looks really cool. And it's fast.

vista4.jpg

Last pic for now. General pic again. Start menu changed and is VERY organized compared to the old XP menu.

Note: I posted these using Dreamweaver 8. Studio 8 WOULD NOT INSTALL, however I could install the programs individually from the DVD.

Hey Apallohadas

Was the any kind of cd key you need to install this? Reason im asking, im downloading it on my laptop on my college internet connection in my dorm, and I plan on putting it on my desktop at home when I go back in October for fall break and mess with it then.

Yes, I got the email and downloaded this last night. The install was a royal pain in the ass.

(You DO need a key by the way.)

1) My laser printer (samsung ml2010) does NOT work with Vista. Vista sees it, but won't print to it.

2) One of my SATA drives is on a controller card (because the header on the board doesn't work.) THIS CARD CAUSES VISTA TO HANG. I got the card with a Maxtor drive from one of the Hot deals.

3) Alcohol 120 does NOT work with Vista.

4) Crossfire does NOT work with Vista.

5) If you play CSS, you can see through walls. This pretty much renders the game unplayable. Turning off Cat AI and setting the game to Windowed mode gives perfect gameplay. Just not in crossfire.

6) Installation took forever and a day, thanks to the problem with the SATA controller card.

for some reason my dvd will not boot .. it says press any key to boot from the cd or dvd and when i do .. it goes right on loading xp

Why the hell would it let me download it if i need a key to use it ??? can you still install withouit a key and it will just expire after a set period of time ?? (like 30 days ???)

also i DO have a key from a technet subsription ... will that work ???

I don't even use windows but i do repair PCs running windows ... so i'm trying to get a head start on learning how to navigate the new OS.

thanks

Mike160 said:
Why the hell would it let me download it if i need a key to use it ??? can you still install withouit a key and it will just expire after a set period of time ?? (like 30 days ???)

also i DO have a key from a technet subsription ... will that work ???

I don't even use windows but i do repair PCs running windows ... so i'm trying to get a head start on learning how to navigate the new OS.

thanks

Because it wasn't supposed to be leaked outside of the e-mails they sent to people who signed up for the public beta and got a key. Of course in this day in age they should expect that to happen and require you to enter the key or some other code before downloading, but... this is MS we are talking about.

Apallohadas said:
1) My laser printer (samsung ml2010) does NOT work with Vista. Vista sees it, but won't print to it.
That's disappointing. I have the same model printer.

3) Alcohol 120 does NOT work with Vista.
Have you tried Daemon Tools? It worked good for mounting images in Vista for me.

Back