Samsung 970p Weak Hinge

cmputrnrd4lif

Weaksauce
I'm disappointed to find that 10 months after buying my Samsung 970p, the hinge can no longer hold the weight of the screen. At first, like everyone, my panel would drop just a tiny bit after adjusting it to full height. I did not think much of it. However, over the course of 10 months, the screen has dropped considerably. The screen is well below my eye sight now. This is very frustrating as I paid way too much for it since I bought it when it first came out. I honestly wouldn't be as bothered if I could detach the screen from the arm and use a different stand, but the square base contains the vga out so you can't separate the screen from it.

I've issued a complaint with Samsung and waiting a few days without getting a response. I ended up calling tech support and they said there were not any other complains of similar nature much to my surprise. They are sending me a replacement stand to keep me happy. I expect to be in the same boat months from now, though.

Anyone having a similar experience.

This is a common issue with the 970p and has been noted in many reviews. Unfortunately the only suggestion to prolong the life of the hinge is to pretty much never touch it, leave it in one place and forget it.

i have also the problem with the weak hinge.what is the method to open the hinge and to tighten the screws?
does anyone have an exploded view of the hinge and instructions to get it open?

I bought the 970p when it first came out too. My hinge is shot. My screen falls right down to the base. My guess is a replacement stand will just do the same thing after a few months, unles they have changed something. Nice screen, but this stand is the worse.

there are for sure some screws that need to be tightened,but i need the exploded view of the hinge.does anyone have it?

I called tech support a few weeks ago and they said they were going to send me a replacement stand for free. I have yet to see it. We'll see what happens...

I had the same problem but have now partly fixed it.
To clear some misunderstandings: There are no screw that need tightening inside the stand! Inside the 2 "arms" of the stand there are a spring which initially had the correct specs to balance the screen. As it is often the case with springs under load, they become "tired" and can no longer carry as much load. Unfortunately Samsung did not design the stand in a way where it would be possible to adjust the springforce by prolonging it slightly (would be very easy to desgn).
Here's what I did:
Removed the top cover of the arm attached to the screen using a small flatheaded screwdriver and as little force as possible. Next I put a plastic cable strip (the one that clicks) through and around the spring. Tightened it as much as possible in order to preload the spring.

pa270004zt1.jpg

Put the top cover back on and the screen is now 2 inches above the stand.

:) LdoubleJ, Denmark

Hi

I also have a Samsung 970P.
It is a great monitor, apart from that hinge that cannot support anything.
My monitor began to "sag" quite early too, but I have just found this thread with a possible solution.
But I am afraid I have done something wrong?
My panel still drops down to the table surface, even when I have applied the cable strip trick.
But maybe I am doing something wrong, or maybe I have not tightened it enough?

That aside, my panel seems to be somewhat "locked" I cannot raise it to its full height anymore sagging or not?
That seems very strange.
Maybe I will take a picture of this to show the problem?

But here is a picture showing what I have done using the cable strip.
220420080522kr4.jpg

Back