Workgroup user and sharing question.

mattarse

Weaksauce
Ok Ive got 3 computers in my home:
Desktop - runnign XP Pro
Laptop 1 -XP Home
Laptop 2 -Running Xp Pro and is my work laptop, so can't change much about it.

Ive been trying to set up the workgroup so that I can share thru a VPN (using Hamachi), but control who can see what. But no matter how I set it up, everyone can either see everyhting shared, or nothing. I mainly want this so I can allow people outside of my home network to connect to my Hamachi net, and see only certain things. And Im stuck with a workgroup b/c of the laptop running home.
Oh and I have Hamachi set up to run almost normally b/c otherwise my work laptop can't see anything, and because I have to connect to various networks, I can't mess with it's network settings. Ok I can but......carefully.

Im not sure what Im doing wrong, Ive tried to enforce user logon, to no avail. I set the shares to pertain to certain user IDs, but that doesn't work....

Ok someone jus tpoint me in the right direction, thanks

Am i missing something simple?

did you set the user ID's under sharing/permissions and then set things in the security tab?

Oh yes, repeatedly. Ive had about a dozen different ID's set up. Right now Im jsut trying to get the desktop set up so the other twocan acces it, as well as opening it up across the VPN to the outside.

did you try enabling advance file sharing?

go to tool/folder options/ folder options/view

then scrool way down to the bottom and uncheck( use simple file sharing)

Ok I haven't tested it yet, but I knew it was something simple I was missing - and I think it's that simple file sharing was enabled on the home computers. Time to boot up the laptops and see.

If you want local user account credentials to be able to be used over the windows network in a windows XP environment, as far as I know windows XP home is incapable of doing this because you don't have access to group policy on XP home. I haven't found a registry setting that controls the specific group policy setting that controls this, but under windows settings/security/local policies/ you need to find the "network access: sharing and security" option.

That option, as far as I know, is hard set in XP home to only allow anonymous authentication to all network connections, so that your security permissions for the guest account is the only thing that matters on your shares. With the XP pro machines you can set this group policy setting to "classic" and then you're back to good ol' win2k windows authentication style where a local user on each machine with identical password and user name will be sufficient to set per-user security access on each shared resource.

Mind you that even disabling simple file sharing will not change this setting in the group policy.

I think you're right, I haven't had a chance to get at my wifes laptop - running XP Home, but I think it'sonly going to be able to see whatever I have left open for the guest account. My work laptop (running Pro) however I have been messign with and it asks for authentication and then has access to whatever I have given that account - so no problems.
Sometime later I'll be checking my wifes laptop,and we'll see what it asks for. I was hoping to be able to completely disable the guest account, and to allow no anonymous access.
This is mainly because I need to set up access for certain friends to be able to atleast browse, but I was going to use my wifes laptop to backup certain things across the network, but these are things I don't want to leave open, even to friends....

Back