NEC LCD2690

travbomb

Gawd
How do you add photos to a post on here??

I have some pics of the 2690 but am having trouble posting.

thanks

example in action!

ohsnap.png

just to clarfy is this one of those 'new' 1920*1200 monitors that are supposed to come out or is it a TV with a 1366*768 resolution?

also what experience do you have with 24" 1920*1200 monitors? i ask because i want to ask you whether you found the larger physical area to be better or worser than 24" monitors with the same resolution.

how long until we see it in the UK and for what price?

This is a 1920x1200 monitor. In no way is it meant to be a TV.

12 bit LUT that is fully calibratable internally
ColorComp
4 year warranty
Overdirve

Just got the 24 inch version of it today. Will report back.

As someone who doesn't like the pitch on 24" monitors I would definitely not like this, plus for a few bucks more you can get a 2560x1600 30".

Though I am sure it will be nice for those with poor eyesight and deep pockets.

there probably will be a wMgx2, the wgx2 is european version (20wgx2 vs 20wmgx2). Also whats the dot pitch on the one the 2690?

Ricey said:
there probably will be a wMgx2, the wgx2 is european version (20wgx2 vs 20wmgx2). Also whats the dot pitch on the one the 2690?

.2865 pixel pitch on 26 inch

Great Pics! Thanks for taking the time to post them. Greatly appreciated :). Monitor looks awesome. How good would you say the color reproduction is on this monitor and how would it compare to other large lcds? Also what's the dot pitch on the 24 & 26 inch? I actually prefer a higher dot pitch.

.2865 pixel pitch on 26

.270 pixel pitch on 24

The color reproduction is pretty amazing. My camera doesnt do it justice at all. I tried using some high res photos I took in Sonoma valley to show but the camera kind of washed them out.

I did not get a chance to see it calibrated either but I was impressed with it from what I saw with my photos.

Really good color depth. Great Reds too.

travbomb said:
No Clue on cost.

Yes it will have a glossy screen.

22 inch version too.

so its DEFINITE that there will be a 22wmgx2 and a 24wmgx2?

looks like im scrapping my plans to buy the 20wmgx2 +xbox 360 now...and just gonna use my CRT for the xbox 360....and then save up for the monitor.

i guess i can wait a little more. its not like i havent been waiting over a year already!

...unless the 24wmgx2 is something like 1600.00. Could just pick up a 30" then!

yes definitely a 22 and 24.

Cost will not be super high.

Will be competitive but probably slightly higher just like the 20WMGX2 is.

travbomb said:

doh!

well looks like im holding out for a monitor a little longer. April you say, eh? :D

My god, remove the IMG tag when quoting pictures, especially ones that big.

Thanks for the pics! Is NEC releasing the 26 & 24 at the same time? Street date still going to be October? Looking forward to shots of the 24, pretty sure that will be my next monitor...

travbomb said:

When will the 22in be out? October, November?

As far as I can tell from the brief look, NEC 2690 does look like very nice! and as I already mentioned before, it does keep the 90 series legacy - evolved into the 26" bezel and LG-Philips LM260WU1 panel. Specifically, that legacy includes:

ColorComp™

This uniformity compensation and correction system aims to reduce any screen uniformity errors to almost unnoticeable levels. ColorComp works by applying a digital correction to each pixel on the screen to compensate for differences in color and luminance. Each display is individually characterized during production using a fully automated system which measures hundreds of points across the screen at different gray levels. These measurements are used to build a three-dimensional correction matrix for the display screen which is then stored inside the display. This data is used to compensate for the screen uniformity, not only as a function of position on the display screen, but also as a function of gray level. If desired, the ColorComp correction can be turned off in order to maximize the screen brightness.
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/90Series/Screenperformance/colorcomp.htm

Internal 12-bit lookup table (LUT)

A 12-bit gamma lookup table (LUT), which allows MultiSync 90 Series monitors to display 16.7 million colors out of a palette of 68.5 billion, provides for more finely detailed, high-definition rendering of color images and crisper display of even the most delicate shadings and color differences.
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/90Series/Screenperformance/LUT.htm

Gamma selection

Gamma can be set by using preset values (including S-Curve and DICOM GSDF) or creating a custom setting from 0.5 to 4.0 in increments of 0.1, providing an ideal setting for video or other applications.
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/90Series/DisplayMgmt/gamma.htm

I always liked the thin bezel of the 90 series, and 2690 bezel does look great and for someone interested in video walls, monitor stacking or dual screens:

http://www.necdisplay.com/products/90Series/DisplayMgmt/tilematrix_comp.htm

... such design could help, no doubt.

If you combine all of this from the above (and that means really really great colours) with low & much more improved response time (at least I hope that overdrive is properly controlled), increased 92% of the colour, 26" screen estate and great design - you have really superb all around screen, perfectly capable for any task - ranging from gaming to critical colour work.

Also, if we are talking about price, we have to be realistic. This monitor is expensive simply because it delivers expensive technology - and that always come with the price. You are paying for the NEC brand too (and that includes great after-sales support, at least in the UK). In that sense, price bracket, especially for this model, is quite realistic imho. Yes, you may downgrade to 24" and pay less for cheaper brands (BenQ, Dell ... etc), but I think that this usually comes with the PQ consequence. On the other hand, upgrade to Dell 30" or HP 30" is possible ... but this may bring another problems (dual DVI link + enormously expensive PC to drive such monitors in native resolutions). For me, 30" is simply huge & overwhelming option for PC (desktop) usage. It's really on the TV edge.

Interestingly enough, 2690 is the first 26" size panel - it's not everyday sight and question is: "is this panel size proper middle ground between the 24" and 30"? - especially because you are still keeping the 1920x1200 resolution and that means less costs for the upgrade no particular stress to the GPU. On the other hand, I'm slightly worried that keeping the same 24" resolution and adding the 2" more will introduce the chunky pixels (and screen door) - but we can't tell for sure until first hand experience.

Well ... on the second thought - I really could ask NEC to send me one sample for early review on TFTcentral ;)

travbomb, are there any last minute spec changes ? I guess that DFC (digital fine contrast) is not included and that would leave us with LM260WU1 - dynamic contrast. Also, is there any chance that 2690 integrated the "OverDrive Off" feature ? As I predicted, OptiClear is not option on this model. If you still have that 2690 sample with you, I guess that you are still our reliable source for such information.

Thanks DVL73 for posted that stuff. Saves me a lot of time!

2690 - Nov 1 - Availability

2490 - Dec 1 Availiability

There is most certainly and on/off for the overdrive if you dont want to use it.

The big feature of the 2690 though is that it covers 92% of teh NTSC and 93.4% of the Adobe Gamut.

Inputs are DVI-I, DVI-D, VGA

The 90 series products have basically every ASIC NEC has devoloped in it. Which includes the features that are listed above and is focused pimarily towards graphics, phototography, and high end color critical work.

is it safe to assume that the 22wmgx2 and the 24wmgx2 will both still have the same inputs? (component, etc)

no luck on the 2490 having component hookup is there?

Yes they will have all the inputs like the 20WMGX2 but not TV tuner.

They looked at putting all the inputs in the 2490 and 2690 but the circuit board would've added another $250 to the cost.

travbomb said:

They looked at putting all the inputs in the 2490 and 2690 but the circuit board would've added another $250 to the cost.

man that woulda been the sweetspot! That supposed high-color fidelity, and support for hdtv/xbox, etc

travbomb said:

Egads. How about a shiny screen model without that board and $250 off.

One DVI-D and one VGA (or DVI-I) is all I require. I like the other inputs as a bonus item if they are there, but geez, $250 worth? Not on your life. Even $100, no thanks.

The main reason the 20WMGX2 is interesting is because of the panel characteristics (Glossy screen, fast response, excellent viewing angles).

travbomb said:
Thanks DVL73 for posted that stuff. Saves me a lot of time!

2690 - Nov 1 - Availability

2490 - Dec 1 Availiability

There is most certainly and on/off for the overdrive if you dont want to use it.

The big feature of the 2690 though is that it covers 92% of teh NTSC and 93.4% of the Adobe Gamut.

Inputs are DVI-I, DVI-D, VGA

22WMGX2(3?) - April

24WMGX2(3?) - April

As for the differences between the 2490 and 24WMGX2 - well everything really.

The 90 series products have basically every ASIC NEC has devoloped in it. Which includes the features that are listed above and is focused pimarily towards graphics, phototography, and high end color critical work.

The 24WMGX2 will have the glossy panel and be focused at the gaming market. No idea what panel yet so I cant really do that much of a comparison. Sorry.

What is the response time for these monitors?

on/off =
g2g =

Thanks

kam03 said:
What is the response time for these monitors?

on/off =
g2g =

Thanks

2690 - 12 ms on/off - 6.5 ms gtg

2490 - 12 ms on/off - 6 ms gtg

No info on the other 2 since they are a ways off. Sub 5 ms for sure though.

travbomb said:
2690 - 12 ms on/off - 6.5 ms gtg

2490 - 12 ms on/off - 6 ms gtg

No info on the other 2 since they are a ways off. Sub 5 ms for sure though.

Do you know when it will be released in UK?

Thanks

Hey travbomb....

Any idea if the 22WMGX2 and the 24WMGX2 will have internal resolution-scaling like the European version of the 20WMGX2 ? ( I think it's called "Expansion-Modes" .)

Either that, or any clue if the North American versions of the 20WMGX2 will ever get it ?

Back