OMG, I hate Intel my Core 2 ONLY does 3.6Ghz

chrisf6969

[H]F Junkie
OK, I'm totally kidding. My Core 2 only does 3.0Ghz, but I'm happy with it anyway. It kicks my Pentium D's ass at 3.9Ghz and runs A LOT COOLER to boot.

I've just been reading the past page of threads. And most of them are "OMG my Conroe only does 3.xGhz" threads.

ATTENTION PEOPLE!!! All chips (including CPU's, RAM, & Motherboard NB/SB) are not created equal. If you get a 3Ghz clock on a mid to low end Conroe you should be happy. Intel only released a 2.93Ghz XE for a reason. Its b/c they could only a certain # of them to that speed bin easily. Considering we're all early adopters I think 3Ghz is a great results, and all of these people with 3.6-4Ghz EXPECTATIONS (not hopes) are expecting a little too much.

Granted I had HOPED for 3.6Ghz. A nice even 400FSB x 9, so my ram would be perfectly in spec at 1:1. but I settled for 3Ghz. Granted I may try to tweak out 3.2Ghz, but all of this "OMG whats wrong", "Week 2x sucks b/c my chip only does 3.x", etc really needs to chill! :cool:

BTW, I'm still hoping Gigabyte will come out with some BIOS fixes which make 333 + FSB more stable. My personal theory is Intel has some type of NB strap at 333 for the next speed and its trying to run in a performance mode that our ram/chips aren't ready for yet.

It's groovy that you're happy, man. Your expectations were met. Other people have different expectations. And by the way, week 26+ e6600s are hitting 3.6 with ease.

chrisf6969 said:
Considering we're all early adopters I think 3Ghz is a great results, and all of these people with 3.6-4Ghz EXPECTATIONS (not hopes) are expecting a little too much.

Granted I had HOPED for 3.6Ghz. A nice even 400FSB x 9, so my ram would be perfectly in spec at 1:1. but I settled for 3Ghz. Granted I may try to tweak out 3.2Ghz, but all of this "OMG whats wrong", "Week 2x sucks b/c my chip only does 3.x", etc really needs to chill! :cool:

QFT. I find it amusing when people complain that their chip 'only' does 3.x GHz. Seriously, anything beyond stock speed is a gift!

schizo said:
It's groovy that you're happy, man. Your expectations were met. Other people have different expectations. And by the way, week 26+ e6600s are hitting 3.6 with ease.

I'm not saying to DON'T TRY for high overclocks or to give up easily.

I'm just saying to have realistic expectations. And IF your chip doesn't hit it, don't "OMG THIS SUCKS!!" :)

Look here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1095549
Benton had a realistic goal of 3.2Ghz, and was stuck at first b/c he had limited overclocking experience, but with a little help he hit 3.4Ghz and was very happy.

edit: P.S. Those "week 26+ e6600s are hitting 3.6 with ease." blanket statements are why people have unrealistic expectations. You're basing that claim on a handful of results of experienced people bragging, there are probably many more with much less of an OC that you don't know about.

nice thread lol, I got 3.2 on my E6400 and I'm really happy, does Super Pi 1M in 17 seconds! w00t

I <3 my Core 2

I'm with you guys. I was shooting for 3.5 with my E6700. It's a week28 and I was able to hit 3.75 but was not stable with 3dmark03 and DVD Shrink (both programs work good for me at checking an overclock). I am now running it at my original goal of 3.5 . It is rock stable, cool and exactly what I wanted for a 24/7 rig.

Geek

schizo said:

Yeah, but some expectations are stupid. It's one thing to say that it would be nice to get a much higher than spec speed, but to whine about it is just dumb, especially when your CPU is already getting an 800MHz+ OC.

I agree with the OP. Right now I would settle for just haveing a dual core CPU right now the closest thing I have to dual core is my P4 550 with HT.

So if you have a conroe that didnt overclock to your expectation and you feel you are not satified feel free to give me your CPU and mobo. Ill be happy to take it off your hands.

Some of use cant afford to upgrade past what we have. So be happy that you at least have core 2 while the rest of use drool over what we dont have.

dude, my 1.86 allendale blows the smoke over any processor I've ever owned. I just want to hold on to it for a litte at this rate.....and when I feel the need for a little speed later on, well then I will OC. I'm telling you...I'm considering getting another cpu and mobo for the wife and I'll get the 2.4. These just fly. Gaming is a BIG improvement.

This thread poked my interest so I went into the bios and set my FSB to 400, brought the RAM down to a normal DDR2 800. I was already to have to go through the reset procedure but it booted into windows @ 3.6Ghz

It wasn't too stable. Vista crashed when I asked it to recalculate my experience rating but I think a little more juice on the vcore will sort that out.

Will see what happens when I get home

Wow, you guys have some low expectations...

When my week 23 E6600 only did 3.7 stable on air I was not happy, I will see 3.9-4.0 stable 24-7 one way or another :)

I'm with you on the hate part. These processors come at a stock speed, anything above that is gravy.

chrisf6969 said:

I'm just saying to have realistic expectations. And IF your chip doesn't hit it, don't "OMG THIS SUCKS!!" :)

Benton had a realistic goal of 3.2Ghz, and was stuck at first b/c he had limited overclocking experience, but with a little help he hit 3.4Ghz and was very happy.

edit: P.S. Those "week 26+ e6600s are hitting 3.6 with ease." blanket statements are why people have unrealistic expectations. You're basing that claim on a handful of results of experienced people bragging, there are probably many more with much less of an OC that you don't know about.

3.6 is still a realistic expectation since chips are hitting 3.6. Honestly a lot of people's expectations were thrown off because of how well the ES chips overclocked. When everyone started getting the retail chips, they were hitting well below the ES chips.

Most of the people that say a 3.2-3.4ghz overclock suck (including myself) are buying the chips for the purpose of overclocking rather than using overclocking as a way to get more out of a purchase. If you buy a cpu and just want to get a little more than what you paid for, of course you're going to be happy with whatever you get, but if you buy the cpu for the soul purpose of overclocking then you'll be shooting for much higher speeds.

I wanted at least 3.6ghz out of my e6600, my first hit 3.4ghz so I left it there content until an opportunity came up where i could sell it and buy another after I saw people hitting the results that I wanted.

People have different goals when overclocking, not everyone is just trying to get a little extra out of what they purchase or to save money other wise i would be happy with whatever extra I got too.

Doesn't it also depend on the motherboard used?
Most of the high to really high overclocks I've seen has been achieved using either the Asus P5B deluxe or the P5W.

I'm with you.
Pepole who get angry cause they can't get the 10000% overclock they wanted just piss me off. It just proves that those people are bandwagon jumpers, nothing more. They read posts, they see results others are getting, they expect the best, and they get let down by something called 'reality'.

The way I see it...

Intel originally planned to release these chips at 3GHz and more. But, since the massive speed boost compared to the previous chip would be too much, they slowed them down so that they would be a linear evolution, speedwise, and give them enough headroom to release faster chips in the future.

That's why anybody and their grandmother can reach 3GHz with stock cooling, and this should in some twisted way be considered the stock speed, so an overclock to 3.5GHz or less should be considered a normal, run-of-the-mill overclock.

But, we're [H]ard here... we need more than this!!! :D

psychot|K said:
I'm with you.
Pepole who get angry cause they can't get the 10000% overclock they wanted just piss me off. It just proves that those people are bandwagon jumpers, nothing more. They read posts, they see results others are getting, they expect the best, and they get let down by something called 'reality'.

lol bandwagon jumpers?

so you're saying I should stick with 1 brand of cpu my entire life? Of course i'm going to jump ship everytime a faster cpu comes from the other brand. Why wouldn't I go with the other brand.

Honestly, this is HARD forums...I remember when NOTHING was good enough and EVERYONE wanted more out of their cpu. Sure cpu's have their limits, but that doesn't mean we can't want a higher overclock. Just because a cpu is "good enough" for everything I do doesn't mean I can't want to overclock it higher. If I wanted a cpu that was "good enough" I would still be on my 3800+ (non dual core) A64. And I also wouldn't have bought 2 - 3200+'s and an Opteron 146. I've been a member for 4 years and lurked for 2 years before that and I have never seen this forum be more conservative than it is now

I hate my 3.6ghz c2d also. This thing is slower than molasses. If I could get it up to 3.7 it would be much better. I'm going with AMD because they roxxorz my boxxorz and Intel = teh suq.

fhpchris said:
Wow, you guys have some low expectations...

When my week 23 E6600 only did 3.7 stable on air I was not happy, I will see 3.9-4.0 stable 24-7 one way or another :)

Thats right. i'm shooting for atleast 3.6ghz stable on my e6400. I'd like 4.0ghz but i dont think will happend with out phase +

chrisf6969 said:

QFT!

PureBooYah said:
lol bandwagon jumpers?

so you're saying I should stick with 1 brand of cpu my entire life? Of course i'm going to jump ship everytime a faster cpu comes from the other brand. Why wouldn't I go with the other brand.

We all should be Bandwagon jumppers Hehehehe! But the forums would be very slow wouldn't it?

Dr. Tom said:
The real strengths of the Intel Core 2 clearly lie in the video realm: the Intel system converts a 2 hour movie into the well-known DivX format in 93 minutes, whereas the AMD system takes 155, or just more than one hour longer, to complete the same task.

I saw a very similar result and after I overclocked, I saved 2 mins, I gain 3.1 FPS in BF2 so I unoverclocked my system. I think I'm not [H] anymore because I've already gotten used to mine at 2.4GHz.

Well, I had a week 23 E6600 that was "comfy" at 3.2GHz (moderate voltage increase) and I had a very easy opportunity to buy another E6600 at virtually no cost to me, I got a week 27 and it's "comfy" at 3.6GHz with a moderate voltage increase. 400MHz for my swap. Well worth it and I'm very happy with it. Something about being at or passing that 1GHz overclock sparked the greed in me to trade up. I'm guilty of the "I hate my 3.2GHz!" but it in the end, it's all worked out very nicely. :)

I see no problem with people trading in/selling their CPUs for better ones. This is a hobby and some of us take this hobby very seriously.

Brahmzy said:
I see no problem with people trading in/selling their CPUs for better ones. This is a hobby and some of us take this hobby very seriously.

QFT!

My goal is to get to 3.8 with my e6300. Just waiting on money for better memory.

If your Core 2 Duo only clocks at 2.xx or 3.xxGHz and you feel you should get a higher overclock, please discard that useless pile of silicon and send your CPU to me. I will take these obviously defective chips from you at NO CHARGE! That's right. I'll even pay shipping to their final destination.

You obviously want a 4GHz Core 2 Duo. Don't settle for less! Act now and I will even take the shitbox motherboards and ram off your hands that obiviously isn't worth a crap either!

/sarcasm

*PS: I really will accept all Core 2 Duo donations. PM me for details. :D

I must be out of the loop. It took me until just now to realize that you guys weren't dissing your procs with bad spelling; the different runs of the same processor must have a date code stamped on them. I kept wondering why "week23" and week27" were teh new hawtness in leet slang.

/Off to research the difference :)
//still happy with my stock speed 805D

testbenchdude said:
I must be out of the loop. It took me until just now to realize that you guys weren't dissing your procs with bad spelling; the different runs of the same processor must have a date code stamped on them. I kept wondering why "week23" and week27" were teh new hawtness in leet slang.

/Off to research the difference :)
//still happy with my stock speed 805D
^^^ must not game much
:)
and has a lot of potential performance sitting in his box

Do you have a phase change you can get those speeds and more. Check extreme most of the people with THE BIG NUMBERS are not in a case and they do the old....jack it to hell...get it to run pi and reboot. THEY ARE NOT 24/7 systems.

Hey my 6600 can do 16 sec pi while running 2 orthos....but it is NOT something I would even consider running.

to run it 24/7 I run a lot slower and its still faster than almost anything else except an equally clocked system or a 6800 oc. I am happy just putting along at 350 FSB it flies and runs cool and quiet. With water it would easily do 400+ 24/7 but me and water don't mix :)

I lost a system with a new swiftech leaking on the cpu barb. so I aint going that route again

sparks

Plenty of people are getting to 3600 on L627 e6600s with high-end air cooling. And "high-end" ait cooling like the ninja only costs like $40. Are there enough samples to say it's guaranteed? No, but you've got a damn good shot.

If it makes you feel any better, I am stress testing a E6300 at 3.512GHz on a Biostar motherboard right now. That probably did not make you feel better, but it made me giggle. ;)

How much voltage and which week kyle? Grapevine says that earlier 6300s tend to be better than later ones, direct opposite of 6600s. I wouldn't want to go over 1.55v on a c2d without water.

PureBooYah said:
lol bandwagon jumpers?

Honestly, this is HARD forums...I remember when NOTHING was good enough and EVERYONE wanted more out of their cpu. Sure cpu's have their limits, but that doesn't mean we can't want a higher overclock. Just because a cpu is "good enough" for everything I do doesn't mean I can't want to overclock it higher. If I wanted a cpu that was "good enough" I would still be on my 3800+ (non dual core) A64. And I also wouldn't have bought 2 - 3200+'s and an Opteron 146. I've been a member for 4 years and lurked for 2 years before that and I have never seen this forum be more conservative than it is now

the whole concept of even calling it a bandwagon jumper makes me so frustrated. people who offer some sort of loyalty to a company are suckers, plain and simple. products should be considered on a case by case basis, unless the company is in danger of going out of business, and you losing your warranty. i hope everyone is picking the best platform for the price/performance that they need.

to address the other thing, i know personally i had a loud system in 2001, with several case fans, a processor fan that spun pretty fast, and a decent overclock. i never cared about hitting a certain round number in mhz, just that my system was running as fast as it could, while still being stable. today, that point is moot because of the perceived difference in speed. when i brought my 800mhz chip up to 1000, or my 1000 up to 1333, windows ran faster. games got higher fps, programs loaded faster - there was a real reason for doing it. now i have a dual core x2 3800+, which i'm running at 2700mhz. as long as the chip will give me that speed with a very small voltage bump, i take it, but i see no real difference in performance over the stock speed of 2000mhz. i understand the idea of competition benchmarking - i don't participate, but i respect competition and pushing your system as far as possible to be the fastest. people who just decide they won't be happy with less than x.x puzzle me more - it's excess for the sake of excess. there are some apps that can show a difference between a core2 duo 2.x and 3.x, but it sure isn't what people usually run. it's not windows and it's not games. i'll bet you'll see a difference in premiere for render times, but not everyone edits video, and when i do, i often just leave the render running overnight so it doesn't really matter how fast it happens.

take a fictional car example. lets say your car has a clutch that can't take more than 200hp without slipping. yes i know that slipping is based on torque, but this is just a fictional example. for those people who don't know cars, if a clutch slips, it means that the engine spins without transferring power to the transmission, and therefore no additional power makes it to the wheels. lets also say that you're not allowed to change your clutch, only modify your engine. i compare the people who need 3.6ghz to the people who demand that said car have 500hp. i would just look at that situation and wonder why people want more and more power when there's no way to make use of it. it's the same thing in computer: i understand wanting to increase fps in games, or lower load times, but following my car example, the core2 duo car ships with 275hp - it's already more than you can use! our generation is really big on the "i want because i want" concept, but for those who spend $100's on additional cooling to make their already overkill system faster, maybe you should rethink those purchases, unless you have an application that's able to make use of the additional speed. i'm sure this will land me squarely in the conservative sector, but i believe that an enthusiast is someone who puts time, money, and effort into going faster. putting lots of money into not going faster isn't an enthusiast, it's a foolish person

schizo said:
How much voltage and which week kyle? Grapevine says that earlier 6300s tend to be better than later ones, direct opposite of 6600s. I wouldn't want to go over 1.55v on a c2d without water.

It did 7*471 at full stock voltages, NO tweaks to the mobo at all. Got it running at 7*503 now with full mobo voltage tweaks and 1.43V to the core. Had to put on an active NB cooler....go figure. ;) Will update to the Core 2 Duo database list in the morning if I get a stable overnight run.

The downside is the board will not let me change the multiplier to 6, so when I top out I am not sure what the bottleneck is going to be.....not that 500 is anything to gripe about.

PureBooYah said:
3.6 is still a realistic expectation since chips are hitting 3.6. Honestly a lot of people's expectations were thrown off because of how well the ES chips overclocked. When everyone started getting the retail chips, they were hitting well below the ES chips.

Most of the people that say a 3.2-3.4ghz overclock suck (including myself) are buying the chips for the purpose of overclocking rather than using overclocking as a way to get more out of a purchase. If you buy a cpu and just want to get a little more than what you paid for, of course you're going to be happy with whatever you get, but if you buy the cpu for the soul purpose of overclocking then you'll be shooting for much higher speeds.

I wanted at least 3.6ghz out of my e6600, my first hit 3.4ghz so I left it there content until an opportunity came up where i could sell it and buy another after I saw people hitting the results that I wanted.

People have different goals when overclocking, not everyone is just trying to get a little extra out of what they purchase or to save money other wise i would be happy with whatever extra I got too.

WTF? you sold one that did 3400 and bought another just for 200Mhz extra? Seriously, get a life ! :eek:

You guys doing this have some serious e-penis issues. It's actually pathetic.

Kyle where did you find one that won't melt :)

what kind of air... right now I am running a ninja and have to room to get
anything on the northbridge.

I want to try another water setup sooo bad..even a crappy Corsair might be alright but no way it can cool CPU and GPU.

sparks

Shocky said:
WTF? you sold one that did 3400 and bought another just for 200Mhz extra? Seriously, get a life ! :eek:

You guys doing this have some serious e-penis issues. It's actually pathetic.

lmao, get a life? So people that buy 2 cpu's that are the same don't have a life? Here's a scenario for you....what if I bought my other e6600 because I was doing a build for a friend of mine who doesn't overclock what-so-ever and he wanted a e6600. You have no idea of the situations that go on when I buy a cpu so quit talking out of your ass.

and wtf are you doing posting on a computer enthusiast forum bashing people for buying better computer parts than what they already have. This is my hobby, if i can get 200mhz extra at no cost to me and it labels me pathetic then i'll take that "pathetic" road everytime. So what sort of hobby do you do in your spare time that I can call you pathetic for doing? IMO, you're in the wrong place :rolleyes:

dualblade said:

my e-penos likes 3.6ghz better than 3.4ghz? :p

My reason for overclocking aren't really for the performance gain. I overclock because I enjoy pushing my hardware as far as I can. I'm not looking to save money or to get more fps in games. I like seeing how far I can push a cpu past stock. :D

PureBooYah said:
lmao, get a life? So people that buy 2 cpu's that are the same don't have a life? Here's a scenario for you....what if I bought my other e6600 because I was doing a build for a friend of mine who doesn't overclock what-so-ever and he wanted a e6600. You have no idea of the situations that go on when I buy a cpu so quit talking out of your ass.

and wtf are you doing posting on a computer enthusiast forum bashing people for buying better computer parts than what they already have. This is my hobby, if i can get 200mhz extra at no cost to me and it labels me pathetic then i'll take that "pathetic" road everytime. So what sort of hobby do you do in your spare time that I can call you pathetic for doing? IMO, you're in the wrong place :rolleyes:

my e-penos likes 3.6ghz better than 3.4ghz? :p

My reason for overclocking aren't really for the performance gain. I overclock because I enjoy pushing my hardware as far as I can. I'm not looking to save money or to get more fps in games. I like seeing how far I can push a cpu past stock. :D

Whatever, at the and of the day you swapped your cpu to extend your e-penis.. Its pathetic that you actually care enough about what people on forums think to do that as it will make no difference to performance especially in games... You got issues...

Back