Regarding Samsung 244T

johnjohn

Limp Gawd
Is it worth buying it.. and after 2-3months will prices chop down a bit.. Thanks and please if you own a 244T list me some Feedbacks.

Nice monitor but you'd be better off with something else for hardcore gaming because of the heavy input lag. How big an issue that is depends on the person. But other than that it's a pretty nice monitor.

Static is right. Also, input lag will be noticable on the desktop... not just in gaming. Besides, you can get a monitor of nearly the same quality for $100's cheaper. The 244t has got the best color accuracy, if you are a heavy graphic designer for example...

I want to pick this up as well & i'm a bit confused. On this forum I have seen the thread documenting the input lag issue but when i look at the customer revues of this monitor at newwegg & other places u see on or two mention the input lag but the bulk of customer revues seem to be very positive.

Makes me feel this is more an issue real hardcore gamer types etc.

What gives?

You'll definately notice it if you have let's say a CRT next to it or a faster LCD. I notice with my 215tw and my vp330b, the vp930b is just a bit more responsive. It doesn't take away from me enjoying the display though as it does some others, so like I said it's personal. You might want to see if you can try the monitor out at a local shop first?

That'll be kind of hard to do since i live in Trinidad & Tobago in the West Indies and we don't have any here to choose from so..... That's why i have been combing the net for reviews & user opinions as that will give me a general idea of which direction to go. Don't want the 2407 as there's to much back an forth over it (A03) & i'm not even sure i'll get one if i order from Dell?

I was like you, hesitant to buy the 244t due to several complaints of input lag, but yet seeing awesome reviews of it everywhere, and great feedback at Newegg. However, I went ahead and bought it last week, and let me say that I could NOT be more pleased. I notice no input lag whatsoever; my desktop and all my games (FPS shooters) are just as responsive as they were with my old DiamondPro 22" CRT. I use a Diamond Razer mouse, and everything works perfectly. And the image quality is absolutely outstanding, both with my PC and the XBOX360 running through VGA. Just wanted to share my experience with you; this was the best purchase I have made in a loooong time.

I am another that was hesitant to buy this monitor due to reports of input lag. However, I took the plunge and I couldn't be happier. I'm using it as the center monitor in a triple monitor setup. I'm a regular gamer. I also do quite a bit of CAD and home design work. Not once have I ever noticed or seen evidence of lag. It's been fast, responsive, and crystal clear the whole time that I've used it.

Cornflake said:
Static is right. Also, input lag will be noticable on the desktop... not just in gaming. Besides, you can get a monitor of nearly the same quality for $100's cheaper. The 244t has got the best color accuracy, if you are a heavy graphic designer for example...
mind giving examples of equivalent, yet cheaper monitors?

drizzt81 said:
mind giving examples of equivalent, yet cheaper monitors?

Sure. Is Component / S-video inputs a concern for you? If it is, that's going to limit your options.

The best monitor I know of, in that price range is the Acer AL2423W. I've mentioned this to many others latley also -- it's input lag is minimal, excellent colour reproduction and black levels. Even if the 244t didn't suffer from input lag... it's not worth paying $850 when this Acer I mentioned is $150 cheaper and a display nearly on par with the Syncmaster.

P.S. For those of you who don't notice the input lag... there are alot of factors involved. Fist, you couple people have mice like the G5 or Razer which are high-end mouses that are like 2,000dpi so that is over-compensating so you don't feel your mouse lagging as much. BUT even with those mouses, you are still going to have some lag. If you don't notice ANY, in my book you need an eye transplant.

Cornflake said:
Sure. Is Component / S-video inputs a concern for you? If it is, that's going to limit your options.

The best monitor I know of, in that price range is the Acer AL2423W. I've mentioned this to many others latley also -- it's input lag is minimal, excellent colour reproduction and black levels. Even if the 244t didn't suffer from input lag... it's not worth paying $850 when this Acer I mentioned is $150 cheaper and a display nearly on par with the Syncmaster.

P.S. For those of you who don't notice the input lag... there are alot of factors involved. Fist, you couple people have mice like the G5 or Razer which are high-end mouses that are like 2,000dpi so that is over-compensating so you don't feel your mouse lagging as much. BUT even with those mouses, you are still going to have some lag. If you don't notice ANY, in my book you need an eye transplant.
thanks. And no, i could care less about component/ s-video inputs.

your sig steve..?

opteron 165
antec p150 w/ 430W neoHE
3 250GB drives in raid5 for data all hitachi t7k250's
1 74GB raptor for boot
samsung w162c DVD+-RW
ATI x800XL
2x512MB crucial ECC pc3200
apple usb keyboard
microsoft 6000 usb laser mouse
samsung 244t when its avail.

It is available.

I've had the 244T for a couple weeks now and I experience no noticeable input lag.

Using Logitech MX510

The 244T has very nice specs...if the price dropped $200 or so I would seriously consider getting one and pairing it with a 2000dpi Razer gaming mouse to counteract some of the input lag.

Cornflake said:

I guess I need an eye transplant because I noticed no lag whatsoever playing games like GRAW, and BF2 using mice such as the g5, g7, and razor. best lcd I have used.

also, a lot of the negative posts are by people who have never even seen one in person, they're just reiterating a couple of bad experiences. I can only speak from my own experience because I have actually USED one.

I would like to pick this up but for some apparent reason the 244Tcost double here ( I live in Canada) compared to prices in the US. Every outlet in canada that sells this monitor has it for C$1600-1700+. Can/US exch rate is about 1.11. Thats insane. At those prices I would rather pick up a the Dell 3007. Why is there such a disparity in pricing? We're not talking just a couple hundred bucks. :confused:

strange, availability? cutoms fees? can't believe it dropped down to 850, thats insane. I bought it for 1300 back in march and thats only a few months ago. sticking w/ my 32" lcd tv for now, and i'll get a 30" lcd in a couple of yrs and use the lcd tv JUST for tv/movie watching. hopefully prices for a 30" lcd would be in the $1000 range in 2 yrs with so many competitors jumping on the 30" lcd wagon.

Outrigger said:
I guess I need an eye transplant because I noticed no lag whatsoever playing games like GRAW, and BF2 using mice such as the g5, g7, and razor. best lcd I have used.

also, a lot of the negative posts are by people who have never even seen one in person, they're just reiterating a couple of bad experiences. I can only speak from my own experience because I have actually USED one.

Just because you dont notice doesn't mean it's not there. It's been proven with tests I don't know how many times, and no one is denying that some people can't enjoy it but some people do notice. I have a monitor with similar lag (215tw) and I do notice it, but I still don't think it's enough not to game on it or stop it from being an awesome monitor.

Guys, trust me... pick up the Acer AL2423W 24" over the Samsung or the Dell 2407. I was in the same place as many of you, banging my head trying to figure out what monitor to get. I did so much research that i though my eyes would never recover :eek: . I made the descision to get the Acer over the others, i'm glad I did. Let me quote someone's reveiw at Newegg.com about the monitor:

Pros: Good color reproduction, good black levels, good viewing angles, extraordinary response time. I've hammered this with every high speed game you can think of and I have yet to see any ghosting or moti...
on blur ... better than some CRT's I have tested (Seriously)

Cons: (1) VERY slight input lag. Perhaps I was just used to using the same G400 monitor for 6 years. This was easily corrected by increasing the pointer speed in the control panel (tested with a MS LaserM... More »
ouse 6000 at 1000dpi.) Far less than other 24" LCD's (2) No built in 4:3 scaling (black bars on the sides). Not a problem with Nvidia drivers. ATI can only do centered timings (black bars all the way around.)

Other Thoughts: After trying a wide array of LCD monitors (including the 244t and 2407FPW which I mention since they are also 24" WS LCD's) I have finally found something worth moving off my Triniton CRT for ... and I'm a very picky person. If you are looking for an all around good LCD this is it. Keep in mind you will need a powerful graphics setup to run the latest titles at 1900x1200 with AA/AF/settings maxxed, etc.

He pretty much sums it up. One of the best 24" to get (And only 699 US dollars!). But let me ask you something guys, why are so many of you hellbent on the Syncmaster 244t?

WTF? bang our heads choosing LCD's this isnt a Calculus Equation, " We " love the 244T because the design is unique, the acer looks fucked up its a grey with all logos and buttons and a black plate holder.. cmon shit.. he just said banging our heads 2 choose a monitor? wtf we choose what looks appealing and what nice in our benefits , we arent gonna fucking choose a LCD that EVERONE HAs. "" Ooh!! HE has a Acer "" Lets all get Acer cause its the best !!! fuck dat , we choose what we like in our own terms. thats like saying to get a lcd everyone has , so if you kill yourself we do to? no dude seriously we choose what lcd we like, everyone has 200different "taste buds" in our mentality and views.. so yep, sorry for being a dick, but Banging heads to the wall to choose lcD? its not a mathematical equation

and that review is BUll SHit!!, cause some dude posted on newegg saying DFI Motherboard doesnt overclock good, when its one of the best.. again thats a Opinionated

I'm hellbent on samsung, because it's the 4th display of theirs i've had, and am very satisfied with their products. Brand loyalty isn't a bad thing. Is it worth $150 more than the acer or dell? To me, yes!

The truth is a lot of people don't notice input lag for what it is when it is not too prominent.

Playing on a server with 60ms ping times vs 20ms ping times is about the difference, but just remember - playing on a 20ms server with a laggy monitor will FEEL like a 60ms server if your monitor has 40ms input lag, and a 60ms server will FEEL like a 100ms server. That's the difference. If you don't play multiplayer games, forget about input lag - it will have even less of an effect in most games except in total twitch games (if you play emulated arcade or console games, for example.) Single player FPS games can easily compensate for about 40ms lag on average, but 80ms+ becomes noticeable. Just remember every LCD monitor has some lag, but 15ms is a LOT better than the 80ms+ some monitors have.

People like the Razer and Logitech mice with 500hz / 1000hz refresh rates because they drop mouse lag from 8ms to 1-2ms. Bad monitor lag is 500 to 1000% more lag than mouse lag. If you are one of those people that swears by one of the new laser mice and can feel the improvement in reaction time - you will feel the input lag on laggy LCDs BIG TIME. Its as bad as connecting to a server on the opposite coast with bad ping, for multiplayer gamers - except even worse, because most multiplayer games use client side lag compensation to hide the effects of your lag.

If you care more about bezel design than gaming and /or take museum tours through your house to show people how rare and equisite your monitor is, then that may be your hint to completely ignore everything about input lag, and just call input lag a LSD induced mass hallucination ;). Everyone has different priorities, so don't be so ready to dismiss all complaints against monitors

I just looked at the samsung site,
http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/largeformatdesktop/ls2...bbsedc.

I wish Id went there to begin with, the spec page for the 244T states '400 brightness' and '10ms grey to grey' as opposed to the 2407's( 450 and 6ms)

This gives the Samsung a much lower spec, than that flouted on review/shoppping sites(500 and 6ms), in fact I dont remember seeing these specs(400 and 10ms) on any third-party sites,

Do you think its possible they changed the spec since the release?

PS something odd is going on:

Here is the 244T spec page on the global site
http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/largeformatdesktop/ls2...bbsedc.

Here is the 244T spec page on the UK site
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Multi_Function/LS24BRBABXA...sp?page

The specs dont match, does that mean im getting the crappy UK one?

Quote:
"Incase you didn't realise, the Dell uses exactly the same Samsung flat panel as the Samsung, so any difference in specs is down to marketing."

After everything Iv read on this subject I coudnt get my head round this, so I called Samsung UK(twice), who confirmed that the UK/US are different, and its because of the regional power supply differences(Aye rite!), they said that they coudnt confirm that the UK/US use the same panel, or even tell me the panel number of the UK version, WOW WTF?

Here is a link showing a silver with the good spec, so its not about black or silver:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Multi_Function/LS24BRBASXA...sp?page

So we pay twice as much for an inferior version, than the US???

The Samsung should arrive sometime today, but Im already thinking of sending it back, and going with the Dell 2407, It's a bit cheaper and better spec...wot did I really say that?

'My padded cell awaits'

See the full thread here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hard...-Dell-2407WFP-Samsung-244T-ftopict200005.html

I wonder if the people experiencing the input lag have this inferior version of the Samsung 244T, and also if the UK version has different spec and Samsung are being funny about the details, does this mean the UK panel could be different from that used by 244T US and the 2407

I bought mine around April/May of this year.

NO input lag on mine.

I use a 7900GTX with DVI-D & a laser mouse.

This monitor kicks ass over my old Samsung 172X.

No Remorse...No Regrets! ;)

tuk said:
See the full thread here:
I wonder if the people experiencing the input lag have this inferior version of the Samsung 244T,

More likely that the people exerpiencing lag notice it and the ones who don't, don't notice it. That doesn't mean it is not there. Just that they don't notice it, many people don't.

As a previous owner of a 2405. I noticed the lag before I ever heard about it. I was only after I noticed that I checked and found many other people reporting it. Along with videos showing the difference and screen shots showing the time difference.

With all that evidence there was still a bunch of people claiming there was no input lag on the 2405. Guess what. They are wrong. They didn't magically get lag free screens.

If someone claims lag free, show us the pictures:

Here is my cheap TN screen that feels lag free to me. I don't have the 2405 anymore. To me, this is what a lag free screen should look like. These are a representative sample. I never saw a frame more than 22ms out of synch. And many frames were identical with 0ms difference:

http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/606404/1/66586967.4fqmTxAd.lagTest.jpg

Slightly of the input lag topic, can anyone tell me the distance between the desk and the monitor at its lowest setting? I've read a few things that say it's not very adjustable.... and sits very high

Ya know on this input lag issue, I do think it has to do with allot of factors and I think the #1 factor is their video card, followed by out of date video card drivers, followed by not enough RAM and then round that out with a generic mouse. I bet though, that the video card and or the video card and bad drivers are the main cause.

I'm going to get the 244T or the BenQ FP241W. Both use the same panel, but the BenQ has a few more inputs on it, which doesn't matter to me. What does matter is that it seems the BenQ is every so slightly sharper and it looks like it's pixel pitch is slightly better, though not enough to actually see though. Since these are so much alike, I think it comes down to price and right now, the price of the BenQ is cheaper! The BenQ FP241W goes for $799: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824014124 while the Samsung 244T is $40 higher at $839: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001222
Which one would you go for? Oh and from what I can tell, stores of input lag on the BenQ is far less, then again it hasn't been out as long...then again I think the input lag is nothing to worry about at all. You shouldn't get either of these 24 inch monitors unless you have at least a GeForce 6800 GTX or a Radeon X800 XTX because you need to be able to run that at it's native resolution and honestly my 7800 GTX 512 probably won't do it justice. That's why I'm getting either a GeForce 8800 GTX or ATi's R600, for these, or rather one of these.

So I'd bet that the people experiencing input lag have slow video cards that can't keep up anyway, in which case is no fault of the monitor anyway.

Bowen said:
Ya know on this input lag issue, I do think it has to do with allot of factors and I think the #1 factor is their video card, followed by out of date video card drivers, followed by not enough RAM and then round that out with a generic mouse. I bet though, that the video card and or the video card and bad drivers are the main cause.

I'm going to get the 244T or the BenQ FP241W. Both use the same panel, but the BenQ has a few more inputs on it, which doesn't matter to me.
Why do people do this?

How can you be so certain if you don't even have the monitor and haven't done any tests?

How can it be the video card when other monitors with the same native resolution don't have as much lag when used with the same video card?

How can it be the video card drivers when other monitors with the same native resolution don't have as much lag when used with the same video card drivers? How can it be out of date video card drivers when using the latest version doesn't make a difference?

How can it be not enough RAM when other monitors with the same native resolution don't have as much lag with the same amount of RAM?

How can it be the mouse? The monitor is lagging, not the mouse. What does the mouse have to do with the monitor lagging? People have done tests with timers. The mouse doesn't affect that.

How can it be anything related to the computer when the monitor lags the same amount when hooked up to any other computer?

Bowen said:
So I'd bet that the people experiencing input lag have slow video cards that can't keep up anyway, in which case is no fault of the monitor anyway.
Have you ever used a large monitor with a slow video card? It doesn't add lag at all. I don't know why people keep assuming the problem is the video card not being able to keep up.

I've used several 23"/24" monitors, all with a native resolution of 1920x1200. I used some of them side by side, and the results were always consistent. The ones that lagged the most were the ones with Samsung PVA panels and overdrive. The Samsung 244T was the worst. I don't know how so many people don't notice 55+ ms of lag. I found it unbearable, even for basic tasks.

My experience has been consistent with others. If you search around, you'll see that the monitors people complain about the most are the ones with Samsung PVA panels and overdrive. Although lag is not limited to those monitors, those seem to be the worst. You won't find anyone complaining about lag on the Apple Cinema Display or the HP L2335 because those monitors don't have any significant lag.

I don't know why I bother. People seem to throw logic out the window when talking about monitor lag.

Back