mem prices?!?!

[teh]manwich

Limp Gawd
this past week ive notice that prices for memory have gone up very high and fast, like $50 to $60 more than what i paid for mine like 4 weeks ago from the same website(newegg). I checked other sites too and pretty much all of them are shooting up the prices. Its not just ddr2 either, ddr has gone up almost as much. why is this happening? ive obviously missed something here. plz fill me in.

I noticed the same here in europe. It's horrible. I wanted to get 2gb COrsair 667 and now I don't know if the prices will go down in a month or so? I don't want to get memory now to see that next day it will be 50$ less.

[teh]manwich said:
this past week ive notice that prices for memory have gone up very high and fast, like $50 to $60 more than what i paid for mine like 4 weeks ago from the same website(newegg). I checked other sites too and pretty much all of them are shooting up the prices. Its not just ddr2 either, ddr has gone up almost as much. why is this happening? ive obviously missed something here. plz fill me in.
The most logical reasoning behind price hikes would generally be supply and demand.

In June they were crying that there was tooo much memory on the market
so they quit making/selling it and watch it go up.
no the most logical reasoning behind price hikes is greed.

sparks

I'm not sure about DDR2, but the big factor driving up cost for DDR is the fact that they're moving away from producing it in quantity. Both big names have made the switch to DDR2, so DDR prices aren't going to be going down anytime soon.

ddr2 is staying relatively constant from what i can tell... if not going down a smidge, overall :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
ddr2 is staying relatively constant from what i can tell... if not going down a smidge, overall :p

if you mean constant like its been like this for awhile, i disagree. but im assuming you mean that its gonna be like this for awhile from now on. and if you're right about that... :(

yeah, i guess now that i actually look, prices at newegg have gone up.. a bunch :(

guess something happened at micron to make prices go up

(cf)Eclipse said:

IE: G.Skill green heatspreader ddr2-667 5-5-5 was 168$ for the 2GB kit....now its like $239.99 :eek:

I remember wanting to sell my OCZ plat for like 170$ and still being able to afford that g.skill

(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah, i guess now that i actually look, prices at newegg have gone up.. a bunch :(

guess something happened at micron to make prices go up

Something happened in the market to make prices go up, record demand. Conroe launched and everybody's building their new computers with it, it's the first real reason to upgrade to DDR2 from your old Athlon rig, right? I mean, AM2 didn't offer any real performance benefit of 939, and the Pentium 4/Pentium D was outclassed by the Athlon64.

But now that Conroe's out, DDR2 is in huge demand, and now outsells DDR1 for the first time. Because of this DDR2 demand, manufacturers are having problems making enough. Also, DDR1 prices are rising because supply is dwindling.

It'll level out eventually but right now people are buying DDR2 like it's the one thing that will save their families from starvation should the apocalypse come.

Redbeard said:
Something happened in the market to make prices go up, record demand. Conroe launched and everybody's building their new computers with it, it's the first real reason to upgrade to DDR2 from your old Athlon rig, right? I mean, AM2 didn't offer any real performance benefit of 939, and the Pentium 4/Pentium D was outclassed by the Athlon64.

But now that Conroe's out, DDR2 is in huge demand, and now outsells DDR1 for the first time. Because of this DDR2 demand, manufacturers are having problems making enough. Also, DDR1 prices are rising because supply is dwindling.

It'll level out eventually but right now people are buying DDR2 like it's the one thing that will save their families from starvation should the apocalypse come.

nice explanation. im just really glad that i bought mine right before these crippling prices went up. as soon as i saw my mem sticks that i paid $229 go up to $292, i think i might of stained my underwear allittle.

Having just ordered yesterday, I went with the Ballistix from ZZF. A friend of mine who's also upgrading (two weeks ago), went with the Corsair from Newegg, before the price shot up. We'll see who gets the better OC ;)

sparks said:
In June they were crying that there was tooo much memory on the market
so they quit making/selling it and watch it go up.
no the most logical reasoning behind price hikes is greed.

sparks
That still falls under supply and demand. I never stated that the supply couldn't be controlled. ;)

Not the most ethical practice, but it's not like we can do anything about it easily. Keyword: easily.

-Rc- said:
That still falls under supply and demand. I never stated that the supply couldn't be controlled. ;)

Not the most ethical practice, but it's not like we can do anything about it easily. Keyword: easily.

hunger strike?

ive noticed ddr 400 at its lowest, and all other high performance ddr1 increase, while DDR2 seem pretty stable

Actual market level price increase per chip went from $3.75 on June 31st to $4.15 on July 31st to $4.40 on August 10th to $4.46 on August 17th. After August 17th, the big jumps started to occur.

August 18th - $4.68
August 31st - $5.85
September 7th - $6.60
September 12th - $7.00

Don't forget about flash products (SD, Flash Drives). They are starting to see big jumps in the last 2 weeks.

www.dramexchange.com

my question is... prices will still grow or soon there will be time that they will drop?

Memory might start to drop in the coming days on the market side, however, given manufactures might keep 7-10 daystock levels, it will take longer for the retail price to come back down.

funny thing casue today in Poland price went up another 50$

Been contemplating a upgrade for some time now.
And just when I'm about to get the money to upgrade prices go up 25% or more :(
So personally i'm considering getting crap ram and buy better in a few months time. Sadly can't wait to upgrade what I have.

I've been dancing around the subject of getting RAM for the past month, but i'm pretty tight with my money. I figure prices would go down on DDR400 with the prominence of DDR2 on the rise, but I was wrong. I paid about 80 bucks for 1g of 184pin, now its going for 110 bucks on newegg. Hopefully relief is in sight.

Yeah, prices are ridiculous now. I bought 1GB DDR2 at the beginning of September for $100 CAN for a miniITX box I am building, now its at $150. Gah, the worst thing is I have not yet bought RAM for my main new system that I am building. I am really deparate now for some relief as prices are 2x what I would have paid at the beginning of the month for the ram I need :mad:

I'm planning on building a core 2 machine towards the end of the year. If I find a great deal on some memory now, do you think i should jump on it, or will we see lower memory prices within the next few months?

I knew I should have gotten this stuff for $140 last month. I wasn't even planning an immediate Conroe build, but something in me kept telling me to buy the RAM now and use it later. Should have listened to myself. :(

InorganicMatter said:
I knew I should have gotten this stuff for $140 last month. I wasn't even planning an immediate Conroe build, but something in me kept telling me to buy the RAM now and use it later. Should have listened to myself. :(

wow thats not good. at a price like that you should fly down to the newegg factory and haggle them for a better deal :D

Soodey said:
I'm planning on building a core 2 machine towards the end of the year. If I find a great deal on some memory now, do you think i should jump on it, or will we see lower memory prices within the next few months?

Memory prices are very volatile.

It's possible that in 2 months, memory will be half of its current price.

It's also possible that in 2 months, memory will be twice its current price.

There's no easy answer. If I were building a system in November/December, I'd be looking at just putting money in the bank until then. The boards, video cards, and processors are only going to get faster and cheaper. Memory being a few bucks more or a few bucks less might be the least of your problems by that time.

Dillusion said:
IE: G.Skill green heatspreader ddr2-667 5-5-5 was 168$ for the 2GB kit....now its like $239.99 :eek:

I remember wanting to sell my OCZ plat for like 170$ and still being able to afford that g.skill

So sell it for more now, as it is worth more ;)

memory vendors are the new oil companies
we need bush to invade taiwan to lower our memory prices!

starbuck8968 said:
memory vendors are the new oil companies
we need bush to invade taiwan to lower our memory prices!
except the problem is it's not the memory companies like corsair, teamgroup, ocz, etc that have any say in what the chip prices are. it's really supply/demand.. right now, supply is tight and demand is real high... so IC prices have gone way up, nothing the "repackaging" companies can do.. places like micron and samsung on the other hand need to get their act together :p

if i was currently lookin for new memory for like a C2D build, i dont think this would stop me. im willing to pay alot for a decent pc. but im glad i dont have to.

Scyles said:

Perhaps not, though:
http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/topnews/wpn-60-20060922SamsungExecPleadsGuiltyToPriceFixing.html said:
According to the felony charge against Quinn, he conspired with other memory makers to fix DRAM prices sold original equipment manufacturers from on or about April 1, 2001 to on or about June 15, 2002, and to coordinate bids on a Dec. 5, 2001 Sun Microsystems auction. The fixed-priced chips were sold to US computer makers Dell, HP, Compaq, IBM, Apple, Gateway, and Sun.

-Ray

Yep, I should have read the article instead of skimming it. Still, this proves they've done it before, so I'm still suspicious.

keep in mind that the basis for that price fixing was to try to get rambus out of the market iirc.. they artifically lowered prices. i'm sure as hell not gonna complain about that. ;)

naughty naughty samsung :p

i dont think that has much to do with overall high memory prices in the market.

Back