Logitech Play Link @ [H] Console

HardOCP News

[H] News
Logitech Play Link @ [H] Console: Logitech's Play Link allows you to enjoy true plug and play wireless connectivity on your Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2 or PC via a 900MHz encrypted link.

Most devices that claim to be “plug & play” usually require, at the very least, driver installation, software or some initial configuration. Thanks to the design of the Play Link matched pairs, there is absolutely no software to install, no drivers and no WiFi network needed. Even users with limited experience can install the matched and coded pairs in less than five minutes and be up and running soon afterwards.

So it's basically a wireless ethernet cable :p

I think it's a spiffy idea, and I'm sure some people will get use out of it, but $100 just seems a tad steep. But if you're really out of options, I can see it being useful.

If you have a PC or console in one room and your broadband connection is in the office / den, these things are lifesavers. Buying CAT5 in 50ft lengths (even making them yourself), punching holes in the walls, spending half the day routing CAT5 through 3 walls and a floor sucks.

Grabbing a set of these babies for $69.99 in some places like:

Buy.com
Circuit City
Amazon.com

and installing them in 10 minutes flat sure beats the hell out of all that cable running / etc. :cool:

Steve, you didn't link to this thread on the last page of the review... FYI.

This product isn't a bad deal if you're joe console and "just want to plug in your xbox to the web". The more tech savvy among us can pick up any free-after-rebate wireless router from staples that supports bridged networking and get a lot more for our money.

Yes, it is hard to beat "free after rebate" but the average Joe trying to set up and properly configure a secure wireless network is a little more daunting than "plug in the cable and you're done". ;)

This is only a good product for people with absolutely no technical prowess whatsoever.

If you are able to follow directions you would be much better served getting one or two (if you already have a router) Linksys WRT54G's. You can load modified firmware onto these so that it can act as a wireless bridge. This means that not only can you connect a console to your network. You can connect up to 4 devices in the same room to your wireless network.

Flexibility + faster speed + cheaper price + more connectivity = win in my book.

I think you hit it on the head, "no technical prowess" which translates into 85% of the country ;)

AND...

If you are just hooking up a console in another room, adding this to a newtwork printer or secondary PC...I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to go through the hassle of running a wired network or wireless network for ONE device. So, for these applications, it works phenomenally.

:D

what bandwith would be needed to stream movies?
what about music?

this could be a really easy way to stream movies and music if there is enough bandwith. (even if just music, it would be useful).

any thoughts?

Can someone give me the link for the rubics cube screensaver (glass one used in the first few photo's), looks great.

Great review , something new. :)

FraGGleR said:
what bandwith would be needed to stream movies?
what about music?

this could be a really easy way to stream movies and music if there is enough bandwith. (even if just music, it would be useful).

any thoughts?

I know it isn't even close to the bandwidth used when I use the 360 as a media center extender. If I recall correctly it uses somewhere around 5-8Mbps of bandwidth when I am streaming TV.

Yeah but, free after rebate where the hell does that happen, unless you sit on fatwallet all day.

For example, can you find me one now? Nope. I dont even know but I'm sure you cant.

That said, yeah, cheap wireless router+Xbox360 ftw.

Steve said:
...I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to go through the hassle of running a wired network or wireless network for ONE device.

I ran ethernet cable from my bedroom to the basement just for the Xbox 360. :D

My wireless connection kept getting dropped in the basement and I wanted to be able to play without getting dropped.

How glad am I that I've owned these for 2 years from the original manufacturer Nyko. I only paid $39CAD for them before Logitech bought out the technology. Apparently it took them forever to get to market with these for some reason, as the box is identical to mine, so they didn't spend any money there.

Geez, once the big names get their hands on stuff the price goes up the quality goes nowhere.

EDIT*

I just checked Nyko's site and they actually have updated the model. These Logitech's are based on the first revision of http://www.nyko.com/Nyko/Products/?i=14

Steve said:
Grabbing a set of these babies for $69.99 in some places like:

Buy.com
Circuit City
Amazon.com

ryankenn said:
How glad am I that I've owned these for 2 years from the original manufacturer Nyko. I only paid $39CAD for them before Logitech bought out the technology. Apparently it took them forever to get to market with these for some reason, as the box is identical to mine, so they didn't spend any money there.

Geez, once the big names get their hands on stuff the price goes up the quality goes nowhere.

EDIT*

I just checked Nyko's site and they actually have updated the model. These Logitech's are based on the first revision of http://www.nyko.com/Nyko/Products/?i=14

HAHAHHA, Logitech = 0wned

Back