Titan - Amanda TEC assisted CPU cooler

Bloodgod42

Gawd
I just ordered one of these, based purely on numerous reviews I have read, to replace my current Cooler Master R-120. (which is an awesome cooler for what it is)

Im not looking for a HUGH increase but I think a 5-8c drop under load would suffice. Currently I am running a AMD 4000+ from 2.4 to 2.8 @ 1.5v and with room temp of I get 36c idle and 49 under load (Prime95 for an hour) wit the fan max'd, which is rather loud. If i can achive the same, or better, at a lower sound level, I will be happy. At $70, I am willing to take a chance.

It won't ship untill Monday, but I should have some results by the weekend.

Till then, any thoughts from anyone that has one?

I messed around with various self constructed peltier setups about 6-7 years ago with results that ranged from mediocre to horrible. This cooler seems to do it the right way and Im looking forward to other makers getting in the game with their own designs. This "Amanda" thing looks far too huge and heavy for me to bite right now however.

It's definitely a very interesting design, and according to the reviews I've seen it does a good job. Keep us posted once you get it.

I wouldnt deal with the heat it dumps for 5 to 8C. I mean whats that really. My prometia gained me 300MHz or so on my last OC. Oh well, what do I know.

Im going into this open-minded that it will be an improvment over my present cooling solution for overclocking. Currently I am running 2.8GHz (up from 2.4) stable at 50c with 1.5v. I would love to hit 3.0GHz, but would be happy with 2.9GHz from a cooler that cost $30 less than my current water cooling.

I'll keep you posted.

Bloodgod42 said:
Im going into this open-minded that it will be an improvment over my present cooling solution for overclocking. Currently I am running 2.8GHz (up from 2.4) stable at 50c with 1.5v. I would love to hit 3.0GHz, but would be happy with 2.9GHz from a cooler that cost $30 less than my current water cooling.

I'll keep you posted.
Oh no doubt...I've read every review I could find on this thing and it seems to beat the best aircooling available and some mid-range water setups. I'm just waiting for a smaller, more elegant design before I take the leap.

Arcygenical said:
You gonna keep "Amanda" staring at you or take the sticker off :D.

Im going to remove the stickers for a more military/industrial appearance to match the motif of my case which is a custom Cooler Master Ammo 533 that has been painted flat black inside and out. ;)

joemama: I'll agree its not very elegant, but nor is the rest of my system, so it should be right at home! lol.

Well, I just found out that Amanda didn't ship until today, thus I wont get her until Monday. So much for my fun weekend of overclocking. :mad:

I think Kyle and [H] consumer need to get in on this and review it for us. If they are on sale now.

I mean, a lot of people are looking into this thing, everyone it seems is just waiting for someone else to buy one and see how it works.

cyr0n_k0r said:
I think Kyle and [H] consumer need to get in on this and review it for us. If they are on sale now.

There is only one distributor in North America of Titan products currently. I can not recall the company at this time since all transactions were conducted at work
:p but I can post that info later when I get back from lunch.

When I called to check pricing and availability, the very nice sales person I spoke with did not have an ETA of thier main shipment, but upon checking into it she found that they had been forwarded one unit of each model (AMD and Intel) and she was willing to sell me one of those...I took the AMD version right there on the spot. :D

UPDATE: The company that carries Titan products:
http://www.inland-products.com/

I just tracked Amanda, and she was just 3 hours away and scanned for departure at 2:30pm. I am going to try and intercept it tomorrow at UPS before she gets put on a truck for the Monday delivery shes scheduled for.

I have done that before a few times but its about a 50/50 shot that your gonna get it. There is a very narrow window when packages can be removed from the flow, and depending on where its at and how willing the counter person is determines if you get it.

Guess if I reeeeeeeelly wanted her this weekend, I could camp out at UPS. :p

Hahahaa, of course you want her this weekend ;). Remember, Pics or it didn't happen!

But PS, I had no idea you could Intercept the package and pick it up. That's amazing...

Arcygenical said:
So Amanda's your monday night girl?

lol, yeah, although I might not get a chance to install/bench untill this weekend, I will take some pics of her getting 'undressed' for you tomorrow. Note: May not be SFW!!! :p

Here's a teaser of what it should look like inside my case...

Amanda2.jpg

I see pixels! Shop!

ahaha, sorry. That's awesome. I hope the sticker comes off like you're hoping for.

Are you still going to have the exhaust song? Or are you gonna vent it?

Arcygenical said:
I see pixels! Shop!

ahaha, sorry. That's awesome. I hope the sticker comes off like you're hoping for.

Are you still going to have the exhaust song? Or are you gonna vent it?

Sorry bout the quality, It was a quicky photoshop job just to get an idea of size and airflow.

As far as airflow, I am going to move my optical drive and LED and fan controller to the top 3 (out of 5) bays, and then have a 120mm fan mounted just about where you see it in the pic to draw fresh air in. That, along with the 120mm in the rear to exhast, should provide a fairly efficent air flow for Amanda.

She's finally here...here is a teaser for you...

Amandaishere.jpg

I will have to wait until tomorrow to get her installed, but I should have some results by mid week or so...I'll keep you posted!

Nice, can't wait to see it in action :). You're officially the first [H]'er with that sink.

Here's a better pic of it held in the case for size. Now that I have it in hand, it's not quite as large as I scaled it, but close and this gives you a better idea.

Amanda3.jpg

they should have made it a 120mm version with a duct that exhausts the warm air directly out the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooh
Can you post me the stickers of amanda, she is fine

How about a pic of her, naked?

Hahaha you know you're on a tech forum when :D

Arcygenical said:
they should have made it a 120mm version with a duct that exhausts the warm air directly out the back.

I agree about the 120, but as for the exhaust why not make your own? There are so many different locations for rear exhausts, you may as well make your own..

That's definitely a good idea, I'm just saying that it should have come with a 120mm stretchy duct, and a 120-80mm reduction coupling. For the ~100$... that is.

Arcygenical said:
120mm stretchy duct

good call! perhaps something similar to that a/c ducting with the collapsable rings...

and for $100, you're damn right about that.

Hmm, it looks sorta like a cross between those OEM Dell heatpipe heatsinks, and 2 fans, and some stickers.

NO1B4ME said:
What performance did you get with this cooler?
I should have some results posted this weekend. ;)

bbq said:
Hmm, it looks sorta like a cross between those OEM Dell heatpipe heatsinks, and 2 fans, and some stickers.
Only from a distance.

Titan Amanda Worklog - 9/29

This is the before shot. I was running a CoolerMaster R-120.

R-120.jpg

Once we* had the R-120 removed we prepped a mounting station. This involved moving

two filing cabinets and spacing them so that we could set amanda on the motherboard

and screw her in from below as to put as little stress on the mothboard as possible.

*- I highly recommend you have some one around to assist you in the installation of

either of these coolers. My assist was a good friend of mine I'll call B. Thanks

man! ;)

This is where I ran into the first problem. The barrels that are supposed to fit

through the mobo holes were to large and did not line up with my Asus A8N32-SLI

Deluxe. I had read a review where he used spacers to account for the difference,

since the coolers base wouldn't seat proerly on the cpu, but I decided to go a

different way. (Kids, don't try this at home. May void your warranty ;))

Amandai2.jpg

I decided to go this way due to the mounting hardware. The screws that attach the

back-plate to the cooler are very small and I didn't feel that they would have

enough structural strength if the barrels didn't actually go through the

motherboard. There was enough room between the holes and the tracers to make the

adjustment, but it was rather nerve-racking (especially for B. who was manning the

Black&Decker :) )

Once she lined up, it was time to apply the thermal paste. This is where the second

snag occured. Amanda comes with thier own branded Nano-grease. I have primarily

used AS5, but forgot to grab some for this install so we opted to try the

nano-grease. This stuff is not easy to apply and they only give you one shot. It

sets up within 15 seconds and then has the consistancy of silly putty after that.

After a bloatched attempted, we decided to just go get some AS5 and do it right.

Amandai7.jpg

From there it was a piece of cake to mount her...giddy-up!!!

Amandai3.jpg

Once in place I was happy to see that there was plenty of clearance above all the

surrounding componants.

Amandai6.jpg

Once it was all back in the case I could see that Amanda was going to line up very

nicely with the rear 120mm exhast on my case.

Amandai8.jpg

The supplied retentions cables were a bit long so I just tied them up for the time

being.

DSC01012.jpg

One thing I did notice was that the TEC light seemed to be ON all the time. I will have to look into this.

So there she is installed, I suppose your all waiting to see some results. Well
here they are:

Since I have never had a stock HSF on my cpu I am unable to make THAT comparison but I did detail the performance I was getting from the CM R-120, so that is what I will
be comparing.

Setup:
AMD A64 4000+ running @ 2.88, x11, Bus=259, HT=777, 1.6v
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
CoolerMaster Real Power 550w PSU

Room Temp= 23c

Idle w/ Fan(s) maxed-
CoolerMaster R-120: 35c
Titan Amanda: 32c

Load- Prime95 Large FTT for 6 Hours
CoolerMaster R-120: 52c (Fan @ 100% - Loud)
CoolerMaster R-120: 57c (Fan @ 65% - Quiet, Failed 5 minutes in)
Titan Amanda: 47c (Fan @ 100% - Quiet)

I will note that with the fan at 100% on the R-120, it was very loud. I would only
run it that high if I was benching. If I slowed it down (to 65%) it was barely
audible, much like the Amanda, but temps would climb up to 57c and Prime would crash
within minutes.
So, as far as real world tesing, I am very pleased. Im sure that this cooler has
allowed me to reach my max oc on my cpu, and still keep it nice and cool. I was
hoping to get to 3.0GHz but I am not seeing that possible with this specific chip.
:( At least I know it's not a heat issue anymore.

Anyways, I have rearranged my 5.25" devices so that I have 2 open bays in front for
a 120mm fan to draw fresh air in and push it into Amanda which vents right out the
rear. I thought about tring to build an actual wind tunnel from front to back to
see if I get what results I would get, but the way the fans are currently setup, my
mobo is benefitting so I think i will leave it as is for now. I surely dont need to
improve my temps at this point, just keep everything nice and stable. ;)

Bottom line: A very cool and quiet cooler. At $70(us), it's not cheap, but neither
is the construction or performance. Installation can be tricky, but once there, you
should not ever have to think of replacing it.

texuspete00 said:
I wouldnt deal with the heat it dumps for 5 to 8C. I mean whats that really. My prometia gained me 300MHz or so on my last OC. Oh well, what do I know.

The way the design is, the air exhasted from amanda is just barely above room temp. The air from the PSU is much more warmer and (forceful?) than from the Amanda.

Back