Nvidia Physics Card Coming Soon!!

tikiman44

n00b
Unless ASUS listed this in error check this out:

"Taipei, Taiwan, September 20, 2006 – ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (ASUS), the worldwide leader of motherboards, today introduced the P5N32-SLI premium/WiFi-AP, which leveraged Quad-SLI technology, Intel's Core2 Extreme support, and a third PCI Express x16 slot for Nvidia's upcoming Physics card to deliver superior gaming realism. Teamed with SupremeFX and DTS connect, P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP-powered systems provide gaming experiences that look, feel and sound real."

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=994803&posted=1#post994803

5701HUH!.jpg

stop using caplocks
specially in thread titles

also thats just the ROFl copter gif animation, which has nothing to do with this

you got that right
specially when we are heading for quad core processors

why cant they use those bloody pci 4x slots, they are nothing but a waste of freaking space...and alot of mobo's got em i thought they were supposed to be better then pci :\

Aztlan said:
stop using caplocks
specially in thread titles

also thats just the ROFl copter gif animation, which has nothing to do with this

Why do you care about those things again? :confused: And how is the GIF not comparable to what Nvidia will most likely do in the Physics market?

Umm, OK. Yes, it can use a physics card, but what makes you think it's Nvidia's? Asus themselves is not promoting an Nvidia PPU solution, it just says that it can take a PPU card in conjunction with SLI. If any of you read up on Nvidia's solution, they partnered with Havok to create a software based solution using SLI. There is no Nvidia PPU.

If Asus doesn't specifically say that it is meant for a so-called Nvidia PPU card (which is false advertising as per your post/link), then it is not real. :rolleyes:

Aztlan said:
you got that right
specially when we are heading for quad core processors
Indeed. I am glad that we will soon have QC processors, since that means that I won't be needing a dedicated graphics accelerator anymore!

fireluxx said:
Umm, OK. Yes, it can use a physics card, but what makes you think it's Nvidia's? Asus themselves is not promoting an Nvidia PPU solution, it just says that it can take a PPU card in conjunction with SLI. If any of you read up on Nvidia's solution, they partnered with Havok to create a software based solution using SLI. There is no Nvidia PPU.

If Asus doesn't specifically say that it is meant for a so-called Nvidia PPU card (which is false advertising as per your post/link), then it is not real. :rolleyes:

Yes they do. :D

Taipei, Taiwan, September 20, 2006 – ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (ASUS), the worldwide leader of motherboards, today introduced the P5N32-SLI premium/WiFi-AP, which leveraged Quad-SLI technology, Intel's Core2 Extreme support, and a third PCI Express x16 slot for Nvidia's upcoming Physics card to deliver superior gaming realism. Teamed with SupremeFX and DTS connect, P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP-powered systems provide gaming experiences that look, feel and sound real.
http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=4329

tikiman44 said:
NVIDIA CHOPPERS
apoc.gif

AGEIA HEADQUARTERS

That looks like footage from the 80's TV show Airwolf.

tikiman44 said:
Unless ASUS listed this in error check this out:

"Taipei, Taiwan, September 20, 2006 – ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (ASUS), the worldwide leader of motherboards, today introduced the P5N32-SLI premium/WiFi-AP, which leveraged Quad-SLI technology, Intel's Core2 Extreme support, and a third PCI Express x16 slot for Nvidia's upcoming Physics card to deliver superior gaming realism. Teamed with SupremeFX and DTS connect, P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP-powered systems provide gaming experiences that look, feel and sound real."

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=994803&posted=1#post994803

5701HUH!.jpg

The Intel i975x Core 2 Duo board also has three PCI-Express x16 slots. (all run in x8 mode).

is it just me or does that board only have 2 x16 PCI-E slots and one is the yellow one claimed to be for physics? wouldnt that just mean its a normal SLi board?

EDIT: i see now, third one is crap brown and didnt see it right away.

CEREAL_KILLER said:
is it just me or does that board only have 2 x16 PCI-E slots and one is the yellow one claimed to be for physics? wouldnt that just mean its a normal SLi board?

EDIT: i see now, third one is crap brown and didnt see it right away.

There isn't anything special going on with that configuration that I can see. There are just three x16 slots each having 8 PCIe lanes.

tikiman44 said:
Why do you care about those things again? :confused: And how is the GIF not comparable to what Nvidia will most likely do in the Physics market?

there are rules not to use caplocks since it seems like you are shouting
specially in titles

I have seen that gif animation before, and it was created for other stuff, like a funny gif.
so i dont see how it fits here

Anyone considered the possibility that the third slot could simply be used for a weaker video car dlike a 7300GT or something to be used to calculate physics? It doesn't necessarily have to be a physics card, since paired with Havok FX it could just be aother video card with all the physics tasks offloaded onto it as opposed to using a PPU.

Zero82z said:
Anyone considered the possibility that the third slot could simply be used for a weaker video car dlike a 7300GT or something to be used to calculate physics? It doesn't necessarily have to be a physics card, since paired with Havok FX it could just be aother video card with all the physics tasks offloaded onto it as opposed to using a PPU.

Finally, a reasonable post. As I mentioned, Asus is misleading customers with their advertising. Nvidia will be handling physics in conjunction with Havok with Quad SLI or a third card. ATi's solution is done with three video cards as well. [H] did an article on that technology with the Intel Bad Axe (D975XBXLKR) motherboard.

I suggest that tikiman gets his facts straight before he starts posting this on other forums. :rolleyes: That second post that he made with the smaller ATi card in the middle is not a physics card, it was a smaller x1600 series card handling the physics.

Could be and Asus taged or labeled or named a ordinary G-card as physics card. As a alias. :)
The only new here is that nV has a 2+1/2 DualGPU+1 solution soon avaible.
To use it you need Havok FX games. Wich are not there yet.

What I very curious off wich one nV or ATI would be better at Physics.

goddamn it, when are they gonna put physix chips on the same cards as gpus :rolleyes:
im glad about more pci-e slots tho. Sli and pcie tuner card. Next up SLI w/physix onboard, PCIe turner, PCIe Xfi. The magic 4 slot pcie is near!!!

Dan_D said:
That looks like footage from the 80's TV show Airwolf.

Please tell me you have seen Apocalypse Now...please. I can't have someone with my name who doesn't recognize it.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, it's safe to surf this beach."

Well since it has 3 fast PCIe slots and theres no such setup to support more cards than Quad SLI, then I think its safe to assume that it's for a 3rd card.

It seems silly to me that Nvidia would promote graphics cards as PPU units, I mean it makes good sense for people running SLI to be able to choose to use one of their cards specifically for physics calculations much like you can dedicate one to high levels of AA.

But to move into a market where you expect people to specifically purchas another video card as a dedicated PPU, I don't see that happening. I think price Vs performance it's something a card specifically designed for physics calculations would do so much better.

I don't see it much of a stretch for Nvidia to make a basic PPU design and get the reference boards out there, compared the complexity of a video card now a days a PPU should be easy and fast to develop (im guessing)

I hope that all 3 slots run in 16x mode....

...and that gif is freaking great...I love the smell of napolm in the morning, it smells like victory

*cough* nvidias version of tripple play */cough*

yay for having no usable slots after this! :(

I wonder how hot these cards, in Physics mode, will get. I can barely stand the noise of 1 card's fan, let alone THREE!

run 3 7950gtx2 cards and then have 2 gpu's doing all the physics calculations as well as maybe my laundry and change the motor mounts in my little ford courier truck ....

hardwarephreak said:
Please tell me you have seen Apocalypse Now...please. I can't have someone with my name who doesn't recognize it.

I have seen Apocolypse Now, it has just been a very long time.

Ockie said:
*cough* nvidias version of tripple play */cough*

yay for having no usable slots after this! :(

Hell back in the old days we used to have slots taken up with a video card, modem, sound card, network card, and in many cases a drive controller card.

Two video cards, a physics card, and possibly a sound card isn't that bad. Though it is true the modern video cards do take up a lot of space.

The real difference is how much trouble it used to be. Configuring COM ports, and IRQ's was a huge pain in the ass. Not to mention setting up sound cards in DOS was NO fun.

I don't think they mean Nvidia is releasing a dedicated physics card, I think they mean it's there so when Nvidia enables physics on their videocards you can put a 3rd videocard in with 2 in SLI and one dedicated to physics.

arentol said:
I don't think they mean Nvidia is releasing a dedicated physics card, I think they mean it's there so when Nvidia enables physics on their videocards you can put a 3rd videocard in with 2 in SLI and one dedicated to physics.

I'd like them to release a dedicated card using a 7900GTX GPU, and dedicated memory (256MB or so) without any monitor ports. That way you just have a GPU, some ram, and a cooler, and you are all set.

Without monitor ports, ram dacs, ViVo functions or any of that crap the price of the card could come down quite a bit. Say to the $250-$300 range. If so I can see it being a good seller. As long as some games started to take advantage of it anyway.

hardwarephreak said:

Seriously man, when I saw Dans post I couldn't believe it, and prayed it was a joke. Even then comparing Apaoclypse to Airwolf is Sacrilegious! Apocalypse Now is one of America's greates Films EVER!

J-Mag said:
Seriously man, when I saw Dans post I couldn't believe it, and prayed it was a joke. Even then comparing Apaoclypse to Airwolf is Sacrilegious! Apocalypse Now is one of America's greates Films EVER!

Like Blade Runner, I feel that Apocolypse Now is a good movie, but not the great movie everyone seems to think it is. I don't remember it that well and I don't really care to see it again anytime soon. Niether of them qualify in the top 10 movies of all time in my book.

Back