Bahh memory too spendy these days

Whipsmack

Gawd
Well heres the thing, modern computers now need atleast 2gb of memory so building a new computer is going to be more expensive...but when do you think the price of memory will come down to the levels they were a few years ago when 1gb of memory was more then enough, you know what I mean?

I still find it funny that prices for graphics cards, mobos and CPU prices are in a slightly downward trend while RAM prices are climbing upward. Oh well I guess we will wait and see. :mad:

amdfan25 said:
I still find it funny that prices for graphics cards, mobos and CPU prices are in a slightly downward trend while RAM prices are climbing upward. Oh well I guess we will wait and see. :mad:

Downward trend? Video cards are pretty pricey. Memory isnt as high as it was in the past.

Man, the price I paid for 64 megs of ram in the Pentium 1 days.

Pentium? Crap, I remember trying to get another 2 megs of memory so I'd have the required 4 for Doom on my Packard Bell 386. Crap...cost about a third of what the computer did.

I've got you all beat, I remember when 2kb of RAM was going for more than $100 back when the Amiga was still popular :eek:

*sigh* I miss Amiga...I still have two of their PC's in working order.

In response to 80% of the posts in this thread:

...E-penis.....EXTENDING

memmory isnt expensive as a whole, only very high end micron costs alot.

Micron is really the only solution for high end DDR2, so thats why it is expensive.

dogbyte_13 said:
I remember dropping $400 for 8MB of ram back in 1995
I remember doing the same thing. It was for a 486 Packard Hell. 8MB RAM+Windows 95 = dog slow. The additional 8MB RAM helped, but the thing was a door stop within 6 months. ;)

YARDofSTUF said:
Downward trend? Video cards are pretty pricey. Memory isnt as high as it was in the past.

Man, the price I paid for 64 megs of ram in the Pentium 1 days.

I meant to say when the new cards come out, the older ones usually come down in price.

YARDofSTUF said:

Video cards consistently decrease in price after release. The same kit of 2gb ram that cost $150 a month ago now costs $225-$250. That is what the OP'er was referring to, actual rise in prices after the product(s) have been on the market..

Only 2, 2.5 years ago, DDR ram prices were about double what they are now. They dropped down significantly after that, and rose by about 50% somewhat recently. Still, DDR ram is much cheaper now than it was Prescotts just came out.

For what I paid for 2 x 256Mb of DDR400 valueram (albeit w/ a cas of 2.5), a few more bucks will get you 2 x 512Mb of performance ram.

Sure prices have rose in the past few months, but I still don't see what the problem is.

Wait it out.. you waited this long and your system is pretty decent dispite the peer pressure round here.

DX10 video cards + cheap ram + E4200 (sweet 9x multi cheap allendale) would be optimal time to upgrade. probably xmas/spring...

Alternativly keep your eyes peeled for a smoking rebate deal. I could kick myself for not buying 2GB of crucial ballistix d9 last week for $188 AR... shits like $343 now..course I don't need to upgrade either so I waffled.

tightline said:
Wait it out.. you waited this long and your system is pretty decent dispite the peer pressure round here.

DX10 video cards + cheap ram + E4200 (sweet 9x multi cheap allendale) would be optimal time to upgrade. probably xmas/spring...

Alternativly keep your eyes peeled for a smoking rebate deal. I could kick myself for not buying 2GB of crucial ballistix d9 last week for $188 AR... shits like $343 now..course I don't need to upgrade either so I waffled.

I understand your reasoning but Core2Duo has really gotten me into a "I want it" trance but as others have pointed out RAM prices are up up and away. Oh well I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

Stuey83 said:
Only 2, 2.5 years ago, DDR ram prices were about double what they are now. They dropped down significantly after that, and rose by about 50% somewhat recently. Still, DDR ram is much cheaper now than it was Prescotts just came out.

For what I paid for 2 x 256Mb of DDR400 valueram (albeit w/ a cas of 2.5), a few more bucks will get you 2 x 512Mb of performance ram.

Sure prices have rose in the past few months, but I still don't see what the problem is.

How can you not? Pretty much every other piece of Hardware for a PC that has potential to be outmatched by future leaps in technology usually goes down and only goes down.

Thread starter said "Memory prices have gone up", and they have. A month ago memory was going for the mid-100's and now for the mid-200's... the exact same product. A year and a half ago I bought my PQI turbo RAM cheaper than it is now. Its not following the pricing pattern of most hardware.

Im still kicking myself for not buying that GSkill 2GB DDR500 kit when it was $150. I also hate how ram jumped in price now that i can accually can afford it.

Back