Sharp Aquos 52inch LCD Pics & 1st Impressions!

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
I pulled the trigger on the Sharp Aquos 1080P 52inch LCD today, Delivery Sunday! I'll post pictures and my impressions then.

All ready for the new Aquos coming Sunday!

Sharp%20Aquos%20001a.jpg

Full Image here: Click
Sharp%20Aquos%20002a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20003a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20004a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20005a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20006a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20007a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20008a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20009a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20010a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20011a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20012a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20013a.jpg

Sharp%20Aquos%20014a.jpg

Sunin

Ok, WOW...

First off The resolution is incredible. The Computer instantly Identified it as a SHARP HDTV. Then once I set the resolution to 1920x1080, boom up came the 1080P Signal. The 7800GS was working it hard! The color is incredible, the blacks... OMG Oblivion has never looked so black in the caves. Now these pictures were all taken around Noon with sun in full effect. Glare is very slight and made some of the photo's wash out a bit. I just can't believe the feel of Oblivion at this size and resolution.

P.S. I was getting 12-19fps in Oblivion outdoors in the fields.

Anyhow more to come. Pictures are huge I know but they really do tell you the story of the colors, resolution and black levels!

Sunin

Nice monitor/tv, wish I could afford that thing :D How much it set you back??

You may want to resize those pics before you start getting bashed. Just a warning. They are freaking large.

Very nice, I'm jealous! :D You need to get some HD hooked up to that amazing looking TV if you don't already

freakycody said:
Nice monitor/tv, wish I could afford that thing :D How much it set you back??

You may want to resize those pics before you start getting bashed. Just a warning. They are freaking large.

The Aquos set me back 4k.

I agree its very unbearable here at work to pull that page up! Doh. Fixed em all to 640x480, and included links to full sized... Trust me the full sized images are worth checking out! 52 inches of HARD OCP gotta love it!

Sunin

StaticSurge said:
Very nice, I'm jealous! :D You need to get some HD hooked up to that amazing looking TV if you don't already

The only true HD signal I'm running right now is from the computer and wow does it look crystal clear. The pictures do not do it justice.

I agree down the road HD cable/sat is a must.

But I'm definitely Smiling about the set.

Sunin

The Review:

I've noticed so far two stuck pixels, but honestly the pixels are the size of a needle and at even 2 feet away you can't notice em. Literally I had to get about 6 inches from the screen to notice em.

Next, there is a (very unnoticeable) band, when running 480p in the middle of the screen. I could not notice it at the full 1080p. So I'm guessing somewhere in the up conversion it is slightly off.

The TV comes with the back light on max. The difference between max back light and minimal back light is not much, and I've read else where to max the life of the bulbs you have to keep it at the middle. After running it for a while I determined I liked it even less then the middle and saw no noticeable vibrance lost.

Analog Cable. The channels that come in clear on the cable do very well on the up convert. Graininess is hardly noticeable. Now on the channels that are coming in crappy, it looks like 52 inch crap.

DVD HDMI with the Panasonic S97 DVD Player is pretty sweet as the set identifies the 480p signal and upconverts. The colors are amazing. I ran Little Mermaid, Willy Wonka, and Storm of the Century last night and wow. My old 50 inch rear projection is about 1/10 as clear as this LCD. Colors are so vibrant without bein over saturated. Note I have yet to set all the colors and will play with that this weekend to tweak the blacks and such.

The Computer DVI to HDMI is crystal clear. The text although not as sharp as I would like is easily readable. NOTE: Text is now clear as day! The TV had to be adjusted to map pixel for pixel utilizing the full 1080p signal from the computer! And as for gaming wow... the Color is at least 2x better then my Viewsonic and the refresh rates are about 2-4x better. I also hooked up the computer via Fiber optic to the Onkyo 939 and the game came alive. In minutes you are sitting there and moving your body to avoid monsters coming at you!

Overall I'd give this set a 9/10. Mainly because of the stuck pixels and the band that I noticed on the 480p upconvert. Overall this is a set that I will be proud to have as my multimedia center for many years to come.

Sunin

Is this the new D62 model?

How much improved are they over Sharp's previous 1080p line?

Varmint said:
Is this the new D62 model?

How much improved are they over Sharp's previous 1080p line?

Yes this is the new D62 model. They use the new 8th gen LCD panels that boast a 10k:1 contrast ratio. The colors are more vibrant then the one's I've seen on display at Best Buy. Also, the black levels are much improved, so much so I could not tell where the black on screen stopped and the black bezel on the LCD started in the truly black scenes. Also the refresh rates on fine motion of 4ms is twice as fast as previous models.

Sunin

Sunin said:
The only true HD signal I'm running right now is from the computer and wow does it look crystal clear. The pictures do not do it justice.

Sunin

Sunin..........I HATE YOU! :D

No, but seriously can you please take some pics of that screen running half lfie 2 at 1920x1080??

Hmmm I wonder.....I talked to a westinghouse rep recently and they said that soon they will be coming out with their own 50 plus inch lcd 1080p monitor/tv. Do you all think they could do better than $4,000?? I think so. If they can make one for 3 grand that would make my day. :)

StalkerZER0 said:

No, but seriously can you please take some pics of that screen running half lfie 2 at 1920x1080??

Hmmm I wonder.....I talked to a westinghouse rep recently and they said that soon they will be coming out with their own 50 plus inch lcd 1080p monitor/tv. Do you all think they could do better than $4,000?? I think so. If they can make one for 3 grand that would make my day. :)

Well sunin????

Get the digital camera and start workin on them hl2 pics pronto!! :D

I hope you are going to get a nicer stand and furniture to surround that awesome $4K TV! I see so many people with these great expensive monitor setups with very substandard furnishings. Kind of funny.

sanvara said:
I hope you are going to get a nicer stand and furniture to surround that awesome $4K TV! I see so many people with these great expensive monitor setups with very substandard furnishings. Kind of funny.

That is exactly what I was thinking! Kids...

Quick Update:

Computer text is now 1:1 pixel. I read the book this morning and found out that there is a setting to map the screen pixel for pixel, under view mode! And wow... This is crisp as if it were on my 20 inch lcd... OMG BIG HUGE GRIN!!!!!

Sunin

sideout said:
where did you buy it at?

Best Buy, straight from their warehouse. I talked to Anna, and the Gurnee Best Buy in IL.

Sunin

StalkerZER0 said:

I don't own HL2 :(

I think they could beat it, but Samsung, Sony, and Sharp are all using these 8th gen panels from their Joint Venture Manufacturing facility. I've seen the Samsung unit side by side with the Sony and the samsung was not as clear. Alot of what makes these so clear is the devices driving the panels, which do vary between maker.

Sunin

sanvara said:

Man those are Cerwin Vega 350's, and a polk front channel being driven by an Onkyo 939. I'm not sure what more you would want? Well besides maybe the new Onkyo 7.1 setup and a full MK speaker setup. LOL

P.S. the wall mount for this thing was 599, and I was not willing to shell that out. Maybe later when the price drops some. I do want smaller speakers eventually. Step by step...

P.S.S. One thing to keep in mind is I have a 600sqft Condo In Chicago that I'm living in. Thus Space is an issue!

Sunin

El Barto said:
That is exactly what I was thinking! Kids...

LOL I turn 35 this year. Not quite a kid, but I love my toys!

Sunin

Sunin said:

I think they could beat it, but Samsung, Sony, and Sharp are all using these 8th gen panels from their Joint Venture Manufacturing facility. I've seen the Samsung unit side by side with the Sony and the samsung was not as clear. Alot of what makes these so clear is the devices driving the panels, which do vary between maker.

Sunin

So what made you choose the Sharp over a Sony?

I believe that the BVR3's are the one's using the next gen panels and those are 6.5k vs 4k for the Aquos. Also I don't like the large bezel on the sony's to me it makes the TV look smaller.

Sunin

Sunin said:

Sunin

You have got to be friggin kiddin me!! Dude, you just spent 4 grand. Go spend another fifty bucks and download it straight from valve's site!! :rolleyes:

Ha sunin!!!! I have my revenge!!!!

They just announced a new technology that will crush plasma and lcd in Q4 next year.
Laser projection tvs which have WAY superior screen technology and costs less than HALF of comparably sized plasma or lcd tvs.

Priceless!!
Revenge is a dish best served cold! :D

Sunin said:

Sunin

I understand, I waited a year too before I gave in and got an HD DVR on a good promotion. But in the meantime I used my PC and my dvd player was blown away. Anyways have fun with the set, you'll probably be watching a lot more tv :)

Sunin said:
I also hooked up the computer via Fiber optic to the Onkyo 939 and the game came alive. In minutes you are sitting there and moving your body to avoid monsters coming at you!

can you elaborate on that? computer video output only c/w DVI or VGA, so how does fiber optic come about?

Also, I email Sharp early this year about the 1080p vs. 1080i. They were very vague on that. How can you confirm whether the unit is 1080i or 1080p?

As to that band at 480p, does that happen every time you watch DVD? If so, how do you fix it?

Happy Hopping said:
can you elaborate on that? computer video output only c/w DVI or VGA, so how does fiber optic come about?

Also, I email Sharp early this year about the 1080p vs. 1080i. They were very vague on that. How can you confirm whether the unit is 1080i or 1080p?

As to that band at 480p, does that happen every time you watch DVD? If so, how do you fix it?

The video signal is Via a DVI to HDMI Cable
Audio is coming out of the sound card via fiber optic.

I can confirm its running 1080p because when I first brought up the computer at 1600x1200 it said 1080i. When I moved the resolution to 1920x1080, the TV shows a little info box in the corner that indicates 1080p. I'll snap a picture and post it.

Here are two large images, I'll resize them later: But clearly the TV shows the 1080P signal being detected. And the fact that the text on the LCD is as crisp as my 20inch viewsonic. Gives me a solid feeling that I'm running and the full 1080P

Sharp%20Aquos%20015a.jpg

LG Pic 1

Sharp%20Aquos%20016a.jpg

LG Pic 2

Sorry for the blurriness, but its early here and no indirect light atm, so the camera struggles in low light situations. I've seen 480p, 1080i, and 1080p show up 480p is the DVD player, and the other two were as described above.

Finally the Band.. I'm incredibly picky... the band is visible on all modes... I've now confirmed this, but as you can see by the pictures you can't really see it. It is just something that I've come to notice over time. You really can't see it during operation. It looks more like a reflection of a ceiling corner then anything else. That is why I don't consider it a major issue. It was just something I noticed.

Sunin

StalkerZER0 said:
Ha sunin!!!! I have my revenge!!!!

They just announced a new technology that will crush plasma and lcd in Q4 next year.
Laser projection tvs which have WAY superior screen technology and costs less than HALF of comparably sized plasma or lcd tvs.

Priceless!!
Revenge is a dish best served cold! :D

Promises of SED, and other tech has been on the horizon for 2 yrs now and do we see those TV's? No! Plus depending on the technology it still might burn in and other stuff... regardless I'm not concerned as I know I'm happy wiht what I have. I mean worst case scenario in 4-5 yrs when those TV's come out, and yes I read the articles too and I don't believe them when they say 4Q of this year, I might consider upgrading. Then just use the one LCD for purely gaming, and the other as the Home theater.

Regardless I still am very happy with my purchase. Playing oblivion last night was incredible!!! The only thing it outlines is my increasing need to upgrade my computer in the middle of 07. Quad SLI G80's and a Quad Processor should be a lethal combo!

Sunin

StalkerZER0 said:
You have got to be friggin kiddin me!! Dude, you just spent 4 grand. Go spend another fifty bucks and download it straight from valve's site!! :rolleyes:

Aight but only if you do something! Is there a console command in HL2 for FPS display?

I"ll try to get it Saturday. I've heard its a fun game, just haven't gotten it to date.

Sunin

You can use Fraps to display FPS in any game on computers

EDIT: Not sure if you meant for a gaming console or computer ?

Sorry just woke up.

Sunin said:
Aight but only if you do something! Is there a console command in HL2 for FPS display?

I"ll try to get it Saturday. I've heard its a fun game, just haven't gotten it to date.

Sunin

I'm sure there is. There has to be alot of people reading this very thread that would know of the in game command to make hl2 show the fps. Can someone chime in and let us know? Otherwise I would have to actually expend precious energy to open up a webpage and do a google search on the subject. :D

The-One said:
You can use Fraps to display FPS in any game on computers

EDIT: Not sure if you meant for a gaming console or computer ?

Sorry just woke up.

Personally don't like FRAPS. I prefer the built in debug option found in most PC games. IE in Oblivion you hit ~ to open console, type TDT, and then ~ to close the console and the FPS will display in the corner. Was curious if such a thing existed for HL2.

Sunin

HDMI, HD Component cables and I think digital coax is allowed, but don't quote me on this. The Svideo is not picking up as 480p. I'm imagining down the road for future use I will need an HDMI switch, because HD DVD player, Cable, OTA HD, and Computer I believe will all be using HDMI. For now I Have it DVD and Computer using HDMI, and PS2, Xbox, and VCR using svideo. Eventually Nintendo Wii will use the component options.

Sunin - Still Grin'n

I'm jealous of jacuzzi and I'm jealous of sunin.........but I'll show ya whos king.......

......I'LL SHOWS YA ALLLLL ! ! ! ! ! :mad: :p

can you take a picture of the "band"? I would imagine some of us here is curious to see how it looks like

LOL those pictures I took have the band, but like i said its almost inperceptible to the eye. I took this picture this morning 1 of 5 none of the others you could even tell the subtle bar, but this one was the best... it is still almost invisible.

Sharp%20Aquos%20017a.jpg

Pic of Band

The best way to see it is click the link and let it load and then max the picture to its full resolution then scroll up and down and the cursor is in the middle of the band. You might be able to see it if you really examine it hard core.

When I get a chance I'll post a resized version on here.

So am I being incredibly picky or what?

Sunin

Sunin,

I don't think you are picky as banding is one of the issues that one should look for when deciding on whether to buy a lcd panel.

How are the off angle viewing on this particular set? The sharp 37" didn't have very good off angle viewing. Also, how close can you set to the tv when displaying text at full resolution without being blurry or hard on the eyes?

Thanks

Back