DELL 3007WFP - Buzzing

driveman

n00b
Hi, I recently received a DELL 3007WFP (Rev. A02) and it's buzzing. It emits a high-pitched noise when the backlight is on maximum, and the buzz grows stronger (and with a lower frequency) as I turn the brightness down.

I received a replacement today, and it has the same buzz.

Is this familiar to anyone in the forum? Is there a "good" monitor out there, or is it a design issue?

I notice my monitors tend to start noise making when ambient starts to drop in the fall. All summer they have been fine and now i am noticing it more and more. (two CRTs...)

driveman said:
Hi, I recently received a DELL 3007WFP (Rev. A02) and it's buzzing. It emits a high-pitched noise when the backlight is on maximum, and the buzz grows stronger (and with a lower frequency) as I turn the brightness down.

I received a replacement today, and it has the same buzz.

Is this familiar to anyone in the forum? Is there a "good" monitor out there, or is it a design issue?

All the 3007's I've seen exhibit it, probably because the backlight inverters are bigger than the ones for the 2005/2405 and hence the buzzing is more noticeable. Not much you can do about it :-(

Have you actually seen an 3007WFP Rev. A03? I just received two brand new monitors which are A02. A new release might actually solve this nasty issue.

Well?? Has anyone had the same issues with an A03? If I had already seen an A03 I wouldn't be asking.

I was honestly gonna buy a 3007WFP this week but this has me scared....is it a significant issue?

StalkerZER0, let me rephrase the question:
Do you know for a fact that A03 exists?

zzz,
This is a significant issue for me. I'm one of those guys who are sensitive to buzz and hums, and I'm working on a fairly quiet home office. If I can't get a good unit I'll have to get a refund.

Ok, perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here.
Over the months of reading these threads there were alot of talk about an actually existing A03 that people actually own.

Maybe I mis-read those posts? Is there an A03 of the 3007wfp?

You are probably confusing with the DELL 24" model. They have been around for over a year now and have seen a number of revisions.

zzz said:
I'm pretty sure there's no A03 on the 3007. Google search 3007wfp a03 -2407WFP and you'll see.

<sigh> I guess I might have to wait for the next set of 30"ers to hit the market. Stalker, I really liked your 8:38am post here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1103769

Yup. Thats the current situation.

And its irritating.
I mean its near Christmas and I need to make purchase decisions here. There has been no word yet on the BenQ FP301W or the Samsung 305T or the HP 30" or.....whom else was there again?

Anyways, I'm depending on you guys for any new intel. :(

Here's some new intel for you: we're also waiting for the QUIXUN M30W (just what you wanted to hear--we're waiting on yet another screen). I found it here http://guides.macrumors.com/Displays:30%22_Widescreen.

On the plus side, Dell has recently drastically cut the price of the 3007, from $2200 to $1800 and now $1440! Plus they also distributed 1000 $350-off coupons on their forum. They're clearly trying to get rid of some serious inventory. Maybe that means they have a 30" replacement in the pipeline...

zzz said:
Here's some new intel for you: we're also waiting for the QUIXUN M30W (just what you wanted to hear--we're waiting on yet another screen). I found it here http://guides.macrumors.com/Displays:30%22_Widescreen.

On the plus side, Dell has recently drastically cut the price of the 3007, from $2200 to $1800 and now $1440! Plus they also distributed 1000 $350-off coupons on their forum. They're clearly trying to get rid of some serious inventory. Maybe that means they have a 30" replacement in the pipeline...

See?? Its exactly stuff like this that drives me nuts! Now, I'm gonna have to investigate this new 30" contender. As well as contemplate the possibility of either getting the reduced price 3007 or wait for a supposed new 30" that the inventory clearance would imply

...........ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :( :eek:

Yes, there's buzzing but in my experience it isn't very noticable. But I only keep the monitor at about 50% brightness (10 on the 1-20 scale). It was a bit distracting on the brighter settings.

StalkerZER0 said:
See?? Its exactly stuff like this that drives me nuts! Now, I'm gonna have to investigate this new 30" contender. As well as contemplate the possibility of either getting the reduced price 3007 or wait for a supposed new 30" that the inventory clearance would imply

Why would you be [H]ard up on new poorer spec 30" of that no name brand? If anything we should look forward to the better spec HP, with that 92% color gamut (most LCD's are around the low 70's%).

I'm going to wait on the 30" purchase. The lack of inputs was one thing, but now the buzz issue is too much. Maybe I'm picky, but I don't want my monitor emiting a sound. With all these new models announced, it shouldn't be long before at least one of them reaches the market. Even if they're all vaporware, at least Dell's next 30" will surely have more inputs; their 2705(?) LCD has a whole panel of them...plus their next monitor might not buzz.

Some people say DVDs suck on the 3007 because of the blurring, especially with black colors. I'd say it has barely fast enough refresh in general. The newer models might improve this, and I saw the Samsung 305T is spec'ed at 5ms.

Anyone know if a dual-link DVI video card can easily drive a regular monitor?

zzz said:
Anyone know if a dual-link DVI video card can easily drive a regular monitor?
a dual-link DVI port means nother other than the fact that it can output to 2560x1600, it can drive any other monitor.

Now this really ticks me off.

I've just ordered the 3007, and this is the first I've ever heard of the panel having a "buzzing" noise. Also, all the feedback and reviews 've read to date say the response times on the panel are adequate. Now I hear this... great.

StalkerZER0 said:

lol dont worry the quixun is not a contender :) As soon as it was announced it was labeled a "value version" of the ACD and 3007wfp. Plus its only available in Japan. Specs are a little mixed. Brightness and contrast are poor but the response time is 12ms, probably just over rated.

Guys, please note that I'm not saying that all 3007WFP are buzzing. I just happened to get two of them which are buzzing. Tomorrow I'm going to get a 3rd one. I'm not overly optimistic, but we'll see.

I know that the 2407's had this issue (maybe they still do?).

I think that if I was running this monitor in a normal office, I would probably never hear this anomaly. But since I'm running it in my very quiet home office, then it becomes a showstopper.

1000 said:
I've just ordered the 3007, and this is the first I've ever heard of the panel having a "buzzing" noise. Also, all the feedback and reviews 've read to date say the response times on the panel are adequate. Now I hear this... great.

1000, the screen has gotten so many nice reviews that you probably won't be disappointed. Once it comes in, maybe you can report back on how noticable the buzzing is.

zzz said:
1000, the screen has gotten so many nice reviews that you probably won't be disappointed. Once it comes in, maybe you can report back on how noticable the buzzing is.

That would probably be very dependent on the persons environment. If you have a quiet environment its gonna be far annoying than if you have a bunch of delta screamers or just plain old Thermaltake fans. But thanks to this info, I won't even consider the Dell 3007 now.

Frankly, I think people are wayyyy overreacting here. I can only hear the buzz when I stick my ear very close to the back of the display (A00). And my ambient noise is very quiet, as I'm a bit of a silent PC freak. In my display it isn't audible at all in normal use. I had one replacement display when I bought the 3007 (the replacement was an A01), and I don't remember that unit being any louder. I returned the replacement and got the A00 back because the backlight bleeding was much worse on the replacement, and Dell refused to replace the 1st replacement with a new unit. It worked out perfectly, because nowadays the backlight problem in my A00 is all but gone.

There are reasons to consider other 30 inchers than the Dell, but I don't think this buzzing "issue" is one of them.

It's reassuring to hear that you have no buzz on your LCD. I know that the backlight of LCDs can hum and buzz, but this is definitely not something that you should hear when you're 2 feet away from the screen.

Specifically on my LCD, the buzz is high-pitched when the brightness is turned all the way up. The noise turns into a buzz when I turn the brightness down.

Both units I got so far are Rev A02. DELL might be using other components in those.

In contrast, my Apple 20" Cinema Display is dead quiet (of course, the LCD is sealed in an aluminum casing).

I sure hope that this is an isolated batch of defective monitors and not a design issue.

I also recall the buzzing issues on one of the revs of the 2405 as well. Mine makes NO sound at all... if I hold me ear close to the back of the panel I can hear a slight noise.. but in normal operation I hear nothing from the panel at all.

The 3007 comes today, I will post my findings this evening including the revision number of the panel etc. In fact, I'll post a full review with particular attention to how the 3007 compares to the 2405.

driveman said:
StalkerZER0, let me rephrase the question:
Do you know for a fact that A03 exists?

zzz,
This is a significant issue for me. I'm one of those guys who are sensitive to buzz and hums, and I'm working on a fairly quiet home office. If I can't get a good unit I'll have to get a refund.

then you might as well get the refund now. do a search on buzzing noise or humming noise in this forum under 2405, same thing. We have several thread on it.

the reason is, dell uses the fly back transformer and acclerate the LCD to a slightly faster speed than the original intend speed (16 ms?)(over clock so to speak), the noise is coming from the fly back transformer. By doing the above:

1) their LCD is slightly faster than other LG Philips screeens

2) their LCD won't last as long, you are lucky if it longs past the warranty

Happy Hopping said:
then you might as well get the refund now. do a search on buzzing noise or humming noise in this forum under 2405, same thing. We have several thread on it.

the reason is, dell uses the fly back transformer and acclerate the LCD to a slightly faster speed than the original intend speed (16 ms?)(over clock so to speak), the noise is coming from the fly back transformer. By doing the above:

1) their LCD is slightly faster than other LG Philips screeens

2) their LCD won't last as long, you are lucky if it longs past the warranty

But some people claim they a dead quiet unit - but since this is subjective test, they all can be buzzers. I simply cannot get how a company can get such a noisy design out to the street.

I've seen enough 3007 pics, just tell me about the buzzing and movie playback ;)

Well, I've received a replacement today (that would be a second replacement). To my dismay, this was a refurb (they have explicitly promised a new one).

OK, I say to myself, maye a refurb would bring some luck. It was a rev A01. Frankly, I don't care what's written on the box, as long as the LCD is clean and quiet.

Unfortunately, once I connected it to the laptop, the fiasco began. There was a huge vertical line running from the middle to the bottom of the screen. And there was a blotch somewhere else on the screen. Oh, and the noise was there too. Big time.

I decided to give DELL another chance. They will ship another replacement. New this time. But I'm pessimistic. I'm going to eat the (dual link) DVI cable if the next one is good...

Yesterday I hopped by a friend with a Apple Cinema 30". The thing was quiet like a dead mouse. Maybe, after all, there is a reason why them Apples are $500 more expensived than the DELLs.

If you read any of the other thread in this Display forum, you'll know that is Dell's game. They always promise a new one, but it never happens.

You ask for another one, it'll be the same thing. You want quality and service, you move to Samsung and wait for their 30".

Dell is hoping that out of every 10 customers who receive the refurb., only 1 or 2 is bitchy and won't accept it and request either a refund or a new one.

The only way to get another new one is to refund the one you have, and call another sales rep. in a new order.

THe panel came today. I've been testing it and playing around for a few hours now.

There is NO BUZZING WHATSOEVER. If I put my ear up to the back of the panel, I can hear the drone of the backlight, transformer or whatever... but from normal viewing distance in the front of the panel there is no noise at all.. it's dead silent.

It's a REV2 according to the back of the unit.

Also, the backlist uniformity is pretty darn good. I have touched any settings at all yet, everything is at stock, brightness etc.

The blacks are very pleasing.

I'll post a full review in the next 48 hours and as requested I"ll focus it on gaming and DVD playback

Cheers

1000, do you hear any buzzing noise when you decrease the brightness? I found that my unit becomes louder as it gets warmer.

I've got to be completely deaf but the only way I can hear the 3007 buzz is if I press my ear on the case. Brightness is about half way through on mine and it's A01. It's sitting in a basement which is quite cool all year around.

I"m using an MSI 7950GX2. It's driving the sucker with no problems at all.

Goddamn this thing is HUUUUUUGE !!

Review will be posted today.

driveman said:
But some people claim they a dead quiet unit - but since this is subjective test, they all can be buzzers. I simply cannot get how a company can get such a noisy design out to the street.

True. Sometimes, for whatever reason, you get a replacement one, NOT new remind you, but no buzzing. And some customer just suck it up and keep it. However, that doesn't mean a few mth. down the road when you pass the 30 days period, and there is no buzzing.

There are a huge no. of HardForum members complain this problem on the 2405. JUst do a search on it

I got another buzzer yesterday. After getting THREE new monitors in a row, I have to conclude that this is a defective design. By design, I also refer to the manufacturing process.

I have tried connecting the monitor to different outlets; to RFI/EMI filters; in different rooms; to different computes and in different resolutions. The result is always the same - high pitched squeal and buzzing.

To DELL's benefit, I must mention that the customer service dept is getting out of its skin in the attempts to help, send new monitors, etc. But it all comes down to the product by the end of the day.

I was strongly considering to get Apple's 30 incher, only to learn that the Apple forums are full of complains about "dancing" green pixels. Oh well, back to my loyal 20 incher...

Back