can you crossfire or sli 2 different cards????

Pre_Tender

n00b
we were discussin some things about computing and so...

so my mate tells me you can sli or crossfire 2 different :eek: cards :eek:
I just didn't know what to say... i mean...

i don't think i can just plug my x700 pro to ...let's say a x800 or x1600???

If you mean from different vendors, then yes you can. For Crossfire, you have to stay within the same family of cards for it to work, for example, you can Crossfire cards within the 1900 series as long as you have a slave and a master card. For nvidia, the same general rule applies, IIRC.

he is saying if he can use the same company cards but different models like the x800 and a x1600 in crossfire mode

In my understanding of SLI, one card renders one half of the screen, and the other card the other half. So having 2 different cards at very different speeds wouldn't work.

I could be 100% wrong though. I am interested to find out.

xgambetx is right...

my mate said... you can (let's say for example)
crossfire a x700 pro with a ... x800 pro or x600 pro
wile i'm totally uninformed by crossfire or sli...
i didn't really bought what he was tellin' me

so is it true you can get 2 diff. vidcards in crossfire or sli?
or 2 diff. vidcards at all? (not sli or crossfire?)

I am pretty sure that it works like this:

for SLI you can have different manufactureres BUT it has to be the same card (ie. both 7900GT's)

For Crossfire you need a master card and an equal OR lower card that is crossfire capable, i think the earliest cards that are xfire capable are in the x800 series. From what I have read you can have an x1950 xfire and an x800 in xfire, although I have heard conflicting things about this and you may only be able to xfire within the same class (ie x1950 and a x1900)

TopcatF14B said:
I am pretty sure that it works like this:

for SLI you can have different manufactureres BUT it has to be the same card (ie. both 7900GT's)

WTF does nobody on this side of the forums know anything about SLI???

You can mix and match ANY and ALL Nvidia cards for SLI as long as they are based on the same GPU

You can have different core clocks, memory clocks, different manufacturers, and even different amounts of ram. This has been the case since forceware 80+

Back