I'm stumped... no dvi signal on windows bootup after cat install

pillagenburn

[H]ard|Gawd
Fresh windows installation, catalyst 6.9 (or any version for that matter) driver install, i go to reboot... BOOM, monitor loses signal. Is it going into sleep mode or something? I could sure use some help here! THE MONITOR WORKS FINE WHEN USING A DVI-> VGA ADAPTER AND USING THE VGA INPUT ON THE MONITOR. Is this bizarre or what?

Also, it did this very same thing on my old MSI/athlon motherboard with my x1800xt... could this be a power supply problem? if so, why would 3D games run fine? i have a 500w rosewill psu that seemed to get great reviews on newegg, and nvidia gpu's seem to work fine. my specs are below

conroe e6400 stock
2gb pqi ddr667
dual raptor 36 gig in raid 0 (had em laying around)
asus p5w dh deluxe motherboard
320 gig seagate 7200.10 backup drive
dell 2405fpw
radeon x1900xtx 512mb

What res are you running at? If it's high (above 1280) try this:

In Catalyst, go to Display Panel Properties, Attributes, click "Reduce DVI Frequency on high-res displays."

Also check in Displays Manager that the resolutions have the proper frequency attached...ie 1600x1200 is usually 60hz, not 75hz...

i do not have 'reduce dvi frequency' under my catalyst control panel :( ...

edit:

dan, i've been through the same amount of crap you have... the only thing is, when i try using dvi with my laptop, it works fine. However, I throw in a spare x1300pro pci-e card into my system and it still wont output to dvi. Since i'm not outputting to dvi, i'm going to try to thin client my way in (radmin or terminal services) and see if i can't get to the option from there... what a screwed up way around a problem if it does, in fact, work.

well, i tried vnc'ing into my machine to try it... no suck luck, no 'reduce dvi frequency' option comes up. I'm getting sick of this crap, you'd think if i spent $300+ on a graphics card, that it'd atleast work with my $600+ monitor...

maybe this is a sign that I need to stick with nvidia cards? ......that won't do HDR + AA :(

pillagenburn said:
i do not have 'reduce dvi frequency' under my catalyst control panel :( ...

edit:

dan, i've been through the same amount of crap you have... the only thing is, when i try using dvi with my laptop, it works fine. However, I throw in a spare x1300pro pci-e card into my system and it still wont output to dvi. Since i'm not outputting to dvi, i'm going to try to thin client my way in (radmin or terminal services) and see if i can't get to the option from there... what a screwed up way around a problem if it does, in fact, work.

See I didn't get it either. I had to replace my monitor to get the problem resolved. If you have another monitor, or could borrow one you might be able to get the option to come up, make the settings change, and then connect your old monitor back to the video card.

I never went through the hassle, but it would theoretically work.

I am glad that this problem wasn't isolated to me, but at the same time no one should have to go through this.

yea, i dont have another dvi monitor anywhere...

well, i made a tech support request ticket with ATI ..... im seriously debating whether i should dump this board, get a cheap-o geforce card and wait it out for the next-gen products or not... this is such a trivial type of issue, should have been dealt with a LONG time ago.

pillagenburn said:
yea, i dont have another dvi monitor anywhere...

well, i made a tech support request ticket with ATI ..... im seriously debating whether i should dump this board, get a cheap-o geforce card and wait it out for the next-gen products or not... this is such a trivial type of issue, should have been dealt with a LONG time ago.

I don't know about dumping the card, but my research showed that this issue has occured with at least the 9x00 series of cards a few times too. Specifically with the Radeon 9200. There was never a fix issued.

This seems like a driver issue to me. On mine, the monitors capabilities were incorrectly detected by the ATi drivers.

I just ordered a 30" Inch Dell monitor and if my card doesn't work with it, I will be PISSED.

yeah , it is a driver issue ,

my dvi works fine without the driver installed on the x600 pcie card ,

once the 6.9 driver i installed the dvi loses signal right when windows is loading the drivers at boot,

this is fuckin bullshit , ati is fuckin up ... again

bobrownik said:
yeah , it is a driver issue ,

my dvi works fine without the driver installed on the x600 pcie card ,

once the 6.9 driver i installed the dvi loses signal right when windows is loading the drivers at boot,

this is fuckin bullshit , ati is fuckin up ... again

That's the exact problem I had as well. Everything worked fine until the driver was loaded.

Have you tried the beta 6.10's yet?

you can get it from the ati site ,

just google for it ,

i tried it , same shit , still doesn't work ,

Seems like whatevers happening to you guys is similar to my problem. My monitors losing signal after I play a game, and alt tab or get minimized (even though its going from native res to native res) and I have to reboot.

Sometimes it even goes to a screen with goofy colors thats locked....I dont get it.

It didnt happen with the 6.7s but everything since then...problems.

Its more pronounced on my 1680x monitor than my 1280x

yea, this is a major driver issue.... i've put ati on notice about it... seems like they just didn't do their homework...

bobrownik said:
you can get it from the ati site ,

just google for it ,

i tried it , same shit , still doesn't work ,

Did you run driver cleaner prior to the installation of the 6.10 drivers?

bobrownik said:
yes sir , i did

Yeah your problem is exactly the same as mine. It sucks. I haven't tried this with my Crossfire edition card, but after I am finished working on this review today, I may start experimenting on this issue. I need to get this cleared up or solved just in case my Dell 3007WFP doesn't work on this system.

In such an event, I think I might start acting irrationally and cursing ATi.

When you say losing signal, is it just a blank screen or do you actually see that flying window saying there is no signal?

If it's a blank screen, you can try powering the monitor on and off, sometimes works. Also press the input switch button to something else (s-video for example), waiting until the light goes orange, then going back to dvi. Takes a few tries but worked for me on my 2001fps.

Cript said:
When you say losing signal, is it just a blank screen or do you actually see that flying window saying there is no signal?

If it's a blank screen, you can try powering the monitor on and off, sometimes works. Also press the input switch button to something else (s-video for example), waiting until the light goes orange, then going back to dvi. Takes a few tries but worked for me on my 2001fps.

My monitor shows that no signal is present. However, if I switch to analog mode, it works peerfectly. It only does this with the DVI connection. However I am using that same monitor right now on my test bench with another computer in DVI mode and it is working fine.

When you remote into the machine, or if you put it in analog mode, none of the DVI options appear in the ATi driver panel. Additionally, when you pull the monitor information, the display capabilities and VESA information is incorrect. In my case it stated that the panel has a max resolution of 1920x1080@85Hz which is of course wrong. But none of the DVI frequency adjustments are there, so I can't try that either.

dan d: that's EXACTLY as my problem is... i wonder if, perhaps, one of the modded driver producers (omega, XG etc) could perhaps take a look at this and work up a fix? ATi isn't going to do shit, and even using their latest beta drivers I get the same issue.

anyone got an e-mail address for omega handy?

pillagenburn said:
dan d: that's EXACTLY as my problem is... i wonder if, perhaps, one of the modded driver producers (omega, XG etc) could perhaps take a look at this and work up a fix? ATi isn't going to do shit, and even using their latest beta drivers I get the same issue.

anyone got an e-mail address for omega handy?

I don't, so I couldn't say. But yeah I am not terribly confident that ATi will fix this. The article I found on the 9200 having this problem was fairly old, and they never did anything about that it seems.

Well, even if these cards don't work for my Dell 30" display, I am sure a pair of 8800GTX's will.

yup , i get the "no signal" box on the monitor,

of course the great CCC doesn't show any DVI options when connected through VGA,

It doesn't accept the monitor driver i have installed , always picks some other dafault monitor even though there is no other default monitor installed, and of course doesn't display monitor parameters correctly ,

the CCC is a joke, it doesn't have any advanced options available to the user ,

the advanced mode of CCC i about as advanced as....lol, CCC , what a useless piece of software

bobrownik said:
yup , i get the "no signal" box on the monitor,

of course the great CCC doesn't show any DVI options when connected through VGA,

It doesn't accept the monitor driver i have installed , always picks some other dafault monitor even though there is no other default monitor installed, and of course doesn't display monitor parameters correctly ,

the CCC is a joke, it doesn't have any advanced options available to the user ,

the advanced mode of CCC i about as advanced as....lol, CCC , what a useless piece of software

Mine didn't accept the monitor driver either.

well, there's nothing that i can do ... i tried giving them hell on the rage3d.com boards and they try to spin it into a user/configuration error (HAH!) ...

Dan I seriously hope, for your sake, that your 30" Dell Investment doesn't get screwed by bad drivers....

I may just hop over to nvidia when their next gen product comes out... how depressing.

dan, what power supply are you using? are/were you using, when you ran into this issue?

At the time, I was running on dual Antec Neo HE 550 Watt PSU's. Later on, I switched to a single PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Watt PSU.

I don't think it was a PSU problem. Originally, I only had one video card when I was working on this problem, and I tried fixing this with all three PSU's.

dan, i just realized that you have the same board... and almost identical system .... or very similar anyway...

asus p5w dh is an extremely popular board... i want to find other people with this board and ati video cards to see if they have encountered similar problems... i'm going to post in the motherboards section

Well, I just tried to connect my extra LCD that didn't work to my system as a secondary monitor. Same result. I have the DVI options because of my main LCD, but no settings affected my other LCD at all.

I tried both the Crossfire and the regular card. Same result on all DVI ports.

so what in the world could be causing this problem??

maybe my case is cursed?

do you have AIM or use IRC at all, Dan? I'm in EFNET #hardocp all the time

Try this -

when I first encountered this problem (on mine it resulted in the display flickering and it eventually just totally lost signal and my monitor said "1600x1200 Not optimum mode." For a while I thought it was the monitor.

Have you tried hooking up an analog cable AND a DVI cable and connected both inputs on the video card? Then you can switch back and forth with the monitor to try and troubleshoot (hit the input button on your monitor.).

Now when you have them both connected, go to Displays Manager and click "Detect Displays." Right now while I am running VISTA these drivers are still so fubar that it is not detecting my display correctly. So I don't have the "Reduce DVI frequency" option either. Hiit "detect displays" and it should find the monitor. If it doesn't, you need to raise hell with ATI And your monitor maker about the fact that DCC info is not being read AT ALL.

Once it finds both connections (it will think you have two monitors) then you should be able to go to "Digital Panel Properties" and get the "Reduce DVI Frequency" on high-res displays option.

sluzbenik said:
Try this -

when I first encountered this problem (on mine it resulted in the display flickering and it eventually just totally lost signal and my monitor said "1600x1200 Not optimum mode." For a while I thought it was the monitor.

Have you tried hooking up an analog cable AND a DVI cable and connected both inputs on the video card? Then you can switch back and forth with the monitor to try and troubleshoot (hit the input button on your monitor.).

Now when you have them both connected, go to Displays Manager and click "Detect Displays." Right now while I am running VISTA these drivers are still so fubar that it is not detecting my display correctly. So I don't have the "Reduce DVI frequency" option either. Hiit "detect displays" and it should find the monitor. If it doesn't, you need to raise hell with ATI And your monitor maker about the fact that DCC info is not being read AT ALL.

Once it finds both connections (it will think you have two monitors) then you should be able to go to "Digital Panel Properties" and get the "Reduce DVI Frequency" on high-res displays option.

That doesn't work at all. It won't give you a signal out on the DVI cable, and you don't get any of the Digital Flat Panel configuration options at all. So you can't adjust ANY of those settings. In fact, in DVI mode it won't detect the display at all while my new one is connected.

The DCC information is getting read if I hook that monitor up by itself. It just reads it completely wrong. I don't know if that is Viewsonics fault or ATi's.

Hey Everyone

Im having the same problem as well. When i connected my x850 master / slave i see that the on button for the lcd screen i have ( Dell 2007WSP .. 20" ) was off. So i then turn on the power button for the PC, turns on, no problems. I then see the floating death message " No signal to DVI-D. So i press the the on button and i see the windows load ok. When i finished, i turned off the PC, the death floater came back " No signal to DVI-D". This is all when i connect both master and slave card i have x850 crossfire / x850xt vc. So i ended up just pluggin in the master card and it gave me the signal. When turning off my PC, the death floater " No signal to DVI-D " doesnt appear it acts normal. I then called ATI a few minutes ago and a rep recommended to update my chipset driver. which is the cause of this ordeal. Gonna try it when i get home and take it from there. Anyone updated there chipset driver on there Mobo ? If so, what results you get regarding the death floater. If anyone is an ATI user give them a call and see if they say the same thing " Update your chipset driver ". Thanks guys

M a d c o w said:
Hey Everyone

Im having the same problem as well. When i connected my x850 master / slave i see that the on button for the lcd screen i have ( Dell 2007WSP .. 20" ) was off. So i then turn on the power button for the PC, turns on, no problems. I then see the floating death message " No signal to DVI-D. So i press the the on button and i see the windows load ok. When i finished, i turned off the PC, the death floater came back " No signal to DVI-D". This is all when i connect both master and slave card i have x850 crossfire / x850xt vc. So i ended up just pluggin in the master card and it gave me the signal. When turning off my PC, the death floater " No signal to DVI-D " doesnt appear it acts normal. I then called ATI a few minutes ago and a rep recommended to update my chipset driver. which is the cause of this ordeal. Gonna try it when i get home and take it from there. Anyone updated there chipset driver on there Mobo ? If so, what results you get regarding the death floater. If anyone is an ATI user give them a call and see if they say the same thing " Update your chipset driver ". Thanks guys

I am running the latest chipset drivers for the Intel i975x chipset. So there isn't a newer update I could possibly do.

Even so, your problem sounds a bit different than the one we are describing.

I seriously doubt that this will get any kind of resolution any time soon, so I'm just going to run analog mode right now until either a) a new video card comes out from nvidia or b) a fix is released for this problem.

pillagenburn said:
I seriously doubt that this will get any kind of resolution any time soon, so I'm just going to run analog mode right now until either a) a new video card comes out from nvidia or b) a fix is released for this problem.

I couldn't bring myself to do that. I went and bought a temporary monitor to hold me over until my Dell 3007WFP arrives. (Which should be Thursday) Analog mode just looks horrible to me. Not to mention the colors are way different in analog mode.

Dan

base on my post i went ahead hooked the crossfire through analog. Just got off the phone with ATI and i stated to them that i got a faulty dongle as i went to radio shack yesterday and they have a lilttle machine thats called DVI Detective which read out the DMS-59 being bad

M a d c o w said:
Dan

base on my post i went ahead hooked the crossfire through analog. Just got off the phone with ATI and i stated to them that i got a faulty dongle as i went to radio shack yesterday and they have a lilttle machine thats called DVI Detective which read out the DMS-59 being bad

Well I know my problem has nothing to do with the dongle. This started with my first X1950XTX and then the problem also occurs with the X1950 Crossfire Edition card. The problem occures with the regular DVI port on the X1950 Crossfire Edition card, and the Dongle port. It also occurs with both DVI ports on the X1950XTX.

I got another LCD to use for now, so I am not upset, I am concerned however that this problem will happen again on my expensive Dell 3007WFP display that I just ordered. If it doesn't work with that monitor, I will be pissed off. I guess I'll find out Thursday when the new display arrives.

M a d c o w said:
Dan

Hope all goes well with your upcoming monitor

I do too. If I can't use my $1500 monitor because ATi's drivers happen to be sucking extra hard, I will be VERY upset. You can believe I'll be on the phone with them very quickly.

And the fact that I am having a monitor compatibility with my $450.00 video cards is upsetting as it is.

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same problem with my ATI X850 xt and westy 37"

Back