Computer shipping tragedy...or why I now hate Lian-Li mobo standoffs

Daggah

2[H]4U
So I got here in Tucson...computer didn't handle the trip so well. I open the box and pull the computer out...turns out the motherboard has come completely loose from the motherboard tray (oh god)...my 7950GX2 and my sound card have been forced out of their expansion slots, and the bottom of the metal backplates are bent up. Apparently the motherboard stand-offs (those square pieces of shit) actually popped out and the motherboard has been flopping around inside the case for who knows how long. I haven't put it back together yet to determine if everything still works yet. I'm guessing that it won't. :(

I got insurance though...has anyone ever dealt with filing an insurance claim with USPS for a custom-built computer? I'm thinking that I just need to print off the newegg receipts for all the hardware I bought and take it from there.

Daggah said:
So I got here in Tucson...computer didn't handle the trip so well. I open the box and pull the computer out...turns out the motherboard has come completely loose from the motherboard tray (oh god)...my 7950GX2 and my sound card have been forced out of their expansion slots, and the bottom of the metal backplates are bent up. Apparently the motherboard stand-offs (those square pieces of shit) actually popped out and the motherboard has been flopping around inside the case for who knows how long. I haven't put it back together yet to determine if everything still works yet. I'm guessing that it won't. :(

I got insurance though...has anyone ever dealt with filing an insurance claim with USPS for a custom-built computer? I'm thinking that I just need to print off the newegg receipts for all the hardware I bought and take it from there.

Unfortunately you probably wont get your money back. They will say it wasn't properly packaged and secured. Normally, shipping insurance covers if they lose your stuff. How did you pack it? did you double box it? and even if you did double box it with 2" padding that can say that the internals of your computer were never secured.

Sorry man, but good luck

I think (ok, hope) I'm covered on the packaging front...I used a Lian-Li box with all the styrofoam padding so there was plenty of protection IMHO.

It's a really bad idea to transport a complete system. They're not designed to be that secure. Guess you know that now though. :eek:

There is a pretty good chance you won't get your money back. Next time you ship something delicate, check with somebody that works there to confirm if you have enough padding.

I hope everything is still under warranty. That may be your best bet for replacement.

I can't RMA that stuff...even if it were possible it would still be wrong.

I'm at a loss now based on what you guys say...I just don't know. I'm figuring that with the condition everything seems to be in, the motherboard, processor, and video card are toast (the video card definitely is, I just looked at it...there's damage on the actual PCI-Express interface).

I'm not going to go as hardcore with the replacement system though. Soon after I got my 7950GX2, I got my 360 and haven't done much PC gaming. I'm looking at getting a 7900GTO. I'll upgrade my DFI LanParty mobo to the SLI version and I'll go from a X2 3800+ to an X2 4200+.

I'll have to replace the case too which sucks...I'm not a hardcore modder but I have done a bit to the case. I won't get my dremel back until the end of November either. :(

Yeah...when I pulled the computer out of the box and saw the shape it was in...ugh. I had 5 other boxes to unpack and I ended up just moping about in my room for a while because I just didn't feel like doing anything. :(

Wow thats horrible, I guess that gives me sure reason to take all my parts out of the system and ship them seperatly if I had to ship it somewhere. If that happened to me, i'd probably be computerless for a long while because I don't have the money to replace parts like that.

Sorry man, hope you can get the insurance claim!

Is your ram still good? if it is, then your replacement plan is fine. If you need to buy new ram, might as well go am2/ddr2 or conroe, lol.

it was wrong to ship a lian li aluminum case with parts still installed. i wonder if your home insurance will cover it? i didnt know they covered theft from cars (since my car insurance doesnt cover items not installed/connected to the car), but when someone told me, i was able to get my camera replaced. check with your home insurance if usps doesnt take your claim.

Don't have home insurance...am in the military and currently stuck in the military dorms. :(

My RAM should be okay, it was still connected fine and it didn't look like anything had come anywhere near it.

I don't think it was the packaging, I think it was more that it got mishandled somewhere along the way. I'd bet it was dropped. I received my computer from MCS packaged like yours, and it was fune.

Yeah if that GX2 was secured using both screws on the bracket and all the m/b screws were in place it would have to take a hell of a beating to knock the motherboard loose like that. Hell OEMs ships millions of PCs a year without having to have extra support and protection inside the case.

ryan_975 said:
Yeah if that GX2 was secured using both screws on the bracket and all the m/b screws were in place it would have to take a hell of a beating to knock the motherboard loose like that. Hell OEMs ships millions of PCs a year without having to have extra support and protection inside the case.

Exactly.

What CPU HSF did you have installed? The mobo standoffs for the lian-li's are pretty flimsy.

Yeah, I'm glad LL changed them to the more standard standoffs with their later cases (I ordered one of the new PC7 Plus models to replace my PC65). Anyway I was using a Zalman CNPS9500 HSF. I just boxed the system up, I'll take it over to the post office on Tuesday to see what they say. I insured the box for $2000 but I'm only going to claim damages for the video card, sound card, motherboard, heatsink, processor, and case.

Daggah said:
Yeah, I'm glad LL changed them to the more standard standoffs with their later cases (I ordered one of the new PC7 Plus models to replace my PC65). Anyway I was using a Zalman CNPS9500 HSF. I just boxed the system up, I'll take it over to the post office on Tuesday to see what they say. I insured the box for $2000 but I'm only going to claim damages for the video card, sound card, motherboard, heatsink, processor, and case.
Yah, that heavy HSF is what would have pulled the mobo loose. Good luck with the insurance.

That and the postal service being too rough with the box, I guess. :(

I think that, *if* I do get my insurance claim, I'll get a second 7900GTO. :)

Here's some pictures of the damage:

DSC00847.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

:(

I'm in the military as well, I would recommend that you get Renters Insurance even though you live in the barracks it would have still covered you for the damage USAA is the bomb. I only pay like 20 dollars a month for it and my PC is covered for 2,000 plus everything else that I own.

Well, I rented a car today so I was actually finally able to start dealing with this situation. I took the computer in its box to the post office and they looked a bit at it (didn't take it out of the box) and gave me some suggestions. The USPS guy there said that it definitely looked like it was packed well (yay) and that basically, I needed to take it to a computer store and get a repair estimate, because of the difficulty involved in coming up with a value for a custom-built system. Apparently Best Buy won't touch custom-built systems, but Circuit City will, so I left it there overnight. The guy at the counter was pretty knowledgeable and helpful. I have high hopes for getting my money back at this point. My replacement parts came in as well but I can't really do anything with them until I've finished filing my damage claim.

Daggah said:
Well, I rented a car today so I was actually finally able to start dealing with this situation. I took the computer in its box to the post office and they looked a bit at it (didn't take it out of the box) and gave me some suggestions. The USPS guy there said that it definitely looked like it was packed well (yay) and that basically, I needed to take it to a computer store and get a repair estimate, because of the difficulty involved in coming up with a value for a custom-built system. Apparently Best Buy won't touch custom-built systems, but Circuit City will, so I left it there overnight. The guy at the counter was pretty knowledgeable and helpful. I have high hopes for getting my money back at this point. My replacement parts came in as well but I can't really do anything with them until I've finished filing my damage claim.

Great keep us updated

ha usps will not give you anything, they lost a fully ins box of mine that had a ton of dvds in it, it was with a group of 4 boxes I mailed, of the 3 that arrived all of them where busted open and totaly trashed ( as in seems "ripped open " and looks like a 300 pounder sat on them )and the last one that had all my box set dvd and and other singles never made it, tried to claim it, never got a response, later they sent me a piese of the box that had the address and asked if I would like to make a claim, followed up and still nothing. I am never useing usps again. I can understand it going missing but to ingore my claims on it and to also totaly trash all the other boxes I sent :mad: !!!

bobstone, just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that that's how it's going to go for everyone. I'm still going to try, I'd be stupid not to!

Circuit City says that my video card is OK...at least, they were able to boot up another computer with it. Anyone want to buy an unused 7900GTO? :D

ill take it for $190 shipped (once i sell some stuff and b day comes in 7 days) (or a 7600gt+ps2 games+ other stufff) :D , seriously pm me if u want.

Daggah said:
bobstone, just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that that's how it's going to go for everyone. I'm still going to try, I'd be stupid not to!

Circuit City says that my video card is OK...at least, they were able to boot up another computer with it. Anyone want to buy an unused 7900GTO? :D
If there was visually noticeable damage to the interface connectors, i'd have them test it for 3d performance (i think they'd love to sit there and play games for a couple hours, dont u? :p ).

dont get me wrong, of course try, it was more of a long winded vent about usps and a advert not to use them after this anymore...

by the way it looks like someone like shook the dam thing.... or just dropped it off a building... those dam ups people :D

Just a quick update...video card did successfully survive this ordeal! Source-engine games (CS:S, SiN Episode 1) run smooth as they ever did.

Also, the USPS office here on base sent the insurance claim paperwork up with approval for reimbursing me for the damage, without sending the damaged parts up. There's no reason for the main HQ office to deny my claim that I can see. The USPS employee said to expect a money order in about 6 weeks!

Congrats so far and good luck on a positive resolution!

As a general rule of thumb, when shipping I like to assume that whatever I am shipping WILL be THROWN from at least as high as someone can hold a box over their head, and that it will land at the WORST ANGLE POSSIBLE. Would you believe that a 1" hardcover book could be bent and evan torn as a result of shipping? :(

I recall seeing a similar thread with a bunch of shipping stories a while back, had some unbelievable stuff in there.

I agree completely with whrswoldo. When shipping a PC remove the heatsink and gfx cards.Niether has a rention system designed to take that level of strain.

Back