DirectX 9.L will be a DirectX 10 for Windows XP

They are wrong, do people really trust these guys.

For the record DX9L has nothing to do with XP period, DX9L is part of Vista and is a mode that Vista runs in when running DX9 or below games/software. If you want to run DX10 software then you have to run Vista, this was made very clear by microsoft right from the beginning. I dont think people realise the implications and feasibility of what they are saying.

kleox64 said:
They are wrong, do people really trust these guys.

For the record DX9L has nothing to do with XP period, DX9L is part of Vista and is a mode that Vista runs in when running DX9 or below games/software. If you want to run DX10 software then you have to run Vista, this was made very clear by microsoft right from the beginning. I dont think people realise the implications and feasibility of what they are saying.

Well if the Inq. is wrong on this one then it will be ONE HELL OF AN ERROR!!!
Please someone chime in and confirm this either way.
I tells yas though....if it turns out that DirectX 9.0L will be a WindowsXP version of DirectX 10.0 then TO HELL WITH VISTA!!!!! :mad: :p :cool:

DX9L = DirectX 9.0 Layer. Called so because this is what Vista will be using to run........drum roll........ DX9 code! If it was DX10 for XP it would be called DX10 :rolleyes:

The Trust is .... DX10 is software ..... if can be done for Windows XP if that's what they wanted to do.

We may very well see DX10 titles running in Windows XP

SixFootDuo said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35110

Not very surprising to me.

This is something I've said all along. 1st generation cards will see little actual DX10 use. Not that will stop me.

You just can't turn your head away from millions and millions of DirectX 9.0 cards.

No. DX9L is simply DX9C for windows vista. DX9L is not even going to be released for XP, because there is no point. Theinq is way off base on this one, I don't know where they get this shit from.

inq1cc4.jpg

Plus, DX10 is reliant on the new driver model which would require low level changes to basic xp subsystems and how xp deals with hardware. There is no chance that DX9.L is anything other than the dx9 layer for Vista.

zg75 said:
Plus, DX10 is reliant on the new driver model which would require low level changes to basic xp subsystems and how xp deals with hardware. There is no chance that DX9.L is anything other than the dx9 layer for Vista.

exactly!

No, as Vista will need to be able to run DX9 games as well as DX10 games. Or perhaps, more precisely, DX9.L is the DX9 compatibility layer that is a component of DX10, allowing it to be run games written for DX9. DX9 likewise has a DX8 layer, etc.

StalkerZER0 said:
What do you mean a directX 9 for for vista? Wouldn't directx 10.0 be all that vista needs? :confused:
aparantly it is such a depature from the old models that no, DX10 is not all that it needs.

No, as Vista will need to be able to run DX9 games as well as DX10 games. Or perhaps, more precisely, DX9.L is the DX9 compatibility layer that is a component of DX10, allowing it to be run games written for DX9. DX9 likewise has a DX8 layer, etc.
From my understanding DX 5-9 are all backwards compatable with eachohter. 10 is something entirely different. So... with the DX9 compatability layer you can play DX8 and 7 on Vista too.

SixFootDuo said:
The Trust is .... DX10 is software ..... if can be done for Windows XP if that's what they wanted to do.

We may very well see DX10 titles running in Windows XP
Way off here. The only way that DX10 titles are going to be played in XP are with DX9.0.

Microsoft "through the baby out with the bath water" on this one.

The inquirer really piss me off sometimes, I was actually shouting "no it's fucking not!" at the screen when I read that article.

"DX9.0L will make DX10 games work on XP". riiiiggghhht. How ill-informed can they possibly be?

"we managed to glean some facts". translation: "we have nothing interesting to report so we just made up this bullshit article".

I dont claim to know anything about dx10 and dx10 games, i just know what most people know, but going by the inq website, what it looks like to me is, basically a patch that will allow dx10 games to run on windows xp but not at dx10 graphics levels, basically running a dx10 game in xp but just not as nice looking as what it would look like in vista and also not as smooth running as it would probably be in vista.

As it would be stupid as fuk for a games house to release a dx10 game that would only work in vista, so there HAS to be a patch that will allow dx10 games to run in xp albeit at the cost of smoothness, eye candy and whatever else.

So i really think that the inq is speaking the truth on this one, even tho they speak shit 90% of the time, as it would be crazy for dx10 games to NOT work in xp, millions in lost revenue right there, so a dx9 patch to at least make dx10 games compatible to run in dx9 mode in xp is feasible...

And I dont mean a dx9 patch to make dx10 games look and run like dx10 games in xp, as that would be fuking stoopid, it would basically be similar to what we have now, something like running cod2 in dx7 mode, the closest analargy that i could think of.

Basically a compatibility mode

thats how I see it.

You won't run DX10 games in XP because it won't have DX10. You'll simply run the DX9 version, if there is one.

Thats exactly what i mean, the game defaulting to dx9 mode instead of 10.

I dont know if it could work like that, as I aint no programmer or whatever, but to solely make games for dx10 and vista at this moment in time will leave the majority of gamers out in the cold and also leave the company who spent millions on making said game to lose millions due to the tiny user base of people who will have vista and dx10 cards in the next 6 months -1 year compared to millions of dx9 pc users.

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
I dont claim to know anything about dx10 and dx10 games, i just know what most people know, but going by the inq website, what it looks like to me is, basically a patch that will allow dx10 games to run on windows xp but not at dx10 graphics levels, basically running a dx10 game in xp but just not as nice looking as what it would look like in vista and also not as smooth running as it would probably be in vista.

As it would be stupid as fuk for a games house to release a dx10 game that would only work in vista, so there HAS to be a patch that will allow dx10 games to run in xp albeit at the cost of smoothness, eye candy and whatever else.

So i really think that the inq is speaking the truth on this one, even tho they speak shit 90% of the time, as it would be crazy for dx10 games to NOT work in xp, millions in lost revenue right there, so a dx9 patch to at least make dx10 games compatible to run in dx9 mode in xp is feasible...

And I dont mean a dx9 patch to make dx10 games look and run like dx10 games in xp, as that would be fuking stoopid, it would basically be similar to what we have now, something like running cod2 in dx7 mode, the closest analargy that i could think of.

Basically a compatibility mode

thats how I see it.

Your post gave me a slight headache so I apologize for the brief reply. DX10 games will run on DX9c in XP. And the rest of your post is 100% wrong. Hope this helps.

Your post gave me a sore ass, I dunno why, but i decided to take a shit in any case.

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
I dont know anything about dx10 and dx10 games.

As it would be stupid as fuk for a games house to release a dx10 game that would only work in vista

These two statements are true, but the rest of your post is misguided.

Windows XP simply CAN NOT run Direct3D10 because it's driver model is not compatible. But you will still be able to play "DirectX10 games" on windows XP, because these games will be written to use either DirectX10 or DirectX9. Well, at least for the near future.

It's just like having a game that has directx 9 effects but is still playable on a directx 8 card. You just can't have all the eye-candy. No developer is going to make their game use ONLY directX10 until most of their intended market has Vista.

The whole DX9L is just how Vista runs DirectX9 (or lower) games because DirectX10 is so much different.

Example:
Crysis on Windows XP with a 7900GTX ---> DirectX 9.0c
Crysis on Windows Vista with a 7900GTX ---> DirectX9L
Crysis on Windows Vista with a 8800GTX ---> DirectX10
Oblivion on Windows Vista with a 8800GTX ---> DirectX9L

If you read my post, you will see that I say, playing dx10 games on xp but in dx9 mode, thats my whole point, just actually getting the game to play on DX9 is all I am saying, who gives a shit if the game is dx10 only ? as long as there is some sort of way to be able to play it on xp but under dx9, which admittedly wont look as good or be as smooth as it would be on vista, so how is that misguided ?

Playing DX10 games on XP is all I am saying, nothing more, nothing less, so it isnt misguided at all, once DX10 only games come out, there will be some patch to make them playable on xp but with very much diluted graphics and whatever else, and they wont be nothing like what they will be on the dx10 rigs, and for all you ppl who say there wont be, seriously think about it, you think they are going to make all these dx9 pcs worthless gaming machines overnight ????

heck, you can still play dx games from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, so you really think that thats all going to stop ?

ummm

NO

its all about money, no company in there right mind is going to cut off 95% of there consumer base to keep a few people happy playing the latest games.

No what I am saying is ... They could bring DX10 to Windows XP if they wanted to.

DX10 video cards could give a %$@k less what OS it's running in.

Unless I am reading something wrong, some people seem to think DX 10 needs a whole new OS in order to work. I.E., Windows Vista

Correct me if I am wrong.

I guess it's a wait and see game.

SixFootDuo said:
No what I am saying is ... They could bring DX10 to Windows XP if they wanted to.

Anything is possible. Whether or not it is cost effective or a good business move in general is another story. However this thread isn't about how XP could run DX10 if MS really wanted it to. It is about how Fuad smoked too much crack today.

Ok, as I am trying to understand it, 9.0L is a "layer" within 10.0? Meaning to say that a vista owner won't need to get a seperate download/install of 9.0L??
This 9.0L will be included within 10.0?

What DX shipped with Window XP ? DX6 ... DX7 ?

What has come out for Windows XP over the last few years? DX8 ... DX9 ?

And yes, everyone is aware of the DX10 hardware GUI that is built into Vista.

I can promise you 1000% that DX 10 could and may very well come out for Windows XP regardless of whatever "software" was written for Vista.

But only time will tell.

I plan on owning a DX 10 card and Vista asap but then again, not many people want to blow or can afford $800 - $1000 dollars on 2 Items upgrading to a 8800 GTX and Windows Vista Premium or whatever flavors there are.

With everything I have read about the game here is what I understand -

The game will run with either a DX9 or a DX10 card. If you are running in DX9 you will not get all of the features but the game still blows away everything else out graphically. With DX10 the bar is raised even higher.

That is how the company plans on selling millions of copies (if the game is any good). Work on DX9 cards now. When the user upgrades to a DX10 card, BAM, instant graphical upgrade. Win/Win for all involved.

I am not sure if Crysis requires Vista or not though (I just know it's being coded to work with DX9 and DX10).

SixFootDuo said:
What DX shipped with Window XP ? DX6 ... DX7 ?

What has come out for Windows XP over the last few years? DX8 ... DX9 ?

And yes, everyone is aware of the DX10 hardware GUI that is built into Vista.

I can promise you 1000% that DX 10 could and may very well come out for Windows XP regardless of whatever "software" was written for Vista.

But only time will tell.

I plan on owning a DX 10 card and Vista asap but then again, not many people want to blow or can afford $800 - $1000 dollars on 2 Items upgrading to a 8800 GTX and Windows Vista Premium or whatever flavors there are.
Dude, that is exactly what I am saying is NOT the case. You are wrong. Everyone knows that Microsoft has done something that they haven't done in the past with backwards compatibility on this release of Direct3D. Windows XP will NEVER run Direct3D10. Look it up anywhere and you will see that it is restated many times.

They have tightened up on hardware compatibilty as well for DX10. For a videocard to be DX10 compliant, it has to have all of the features built into it (ie. Shader Model 4.0, etc.), unlike before where you could leave certain features out, and still be compliant.

Example: ATI's x800 series didn't have SM3.0, but was dewfinitely considered a DX9.0 part.

Do your research, and quit throwing out 1000% FUD

DX10 is Vista only discussion over, it will never appear for XP. DX10 games will run in DX9 mode in XP. DX10 is a completly different model and works in a completly different way to DX9, it would not be cost effective or feasable to make it work under XP. As for DX10 compliance it either is or it isnt.

Fine, dx10 is vista only. But as I read it from the inquirer isn't it theoretically possible that there can be a dx9 variant that would have shader model 4.0 support?

StalkerZER0 said:
Fine, dx10 is vista only. But as I read it from the inquirer isn't it theoretically possible that there can be a dx9 variant that would have shader model 4.0 support?
I find it funny that this post is about how the INQ is wrong, and you're now trying to use them as a source to prove something.

No offense - its just pretty funny

Back