Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
There was a discussion of Dell panel lottery over on Dell support boards, but they got censored to bits.

The gist of the info, Dell often starts out with S-IPS panels and then later (after reviews) quietly switches over to cheaper PVA panels. After the second panel is introduced, they seem to put in whatever they get cheaper that month.

Some history:

Dell released the 2001fp with S-IPS, by the end switched to PVA.
Dell released the 2007fp with S-IPS, then soon switched to PVA.
Dell released the 2007wfp with S-IPS. They are just now switching to PVA (PVAs seen in Austrailia, Asia and North America.).
Also on the 1907, the panels were consistently TN but different manufacturers.

Starting with the A03 release Dell has started to obscure the Panel information. This seems to be thier solution to panel lottery complaints. Hide the panel information. A list of new Dell panel codes was starting to be compiled when they were removed:

2007 WFP A03 - Panel code RT803: S-IPS LG.Philips LM201W01: - Overwhelming evidence)
2007 WFP A03 - Panel code PM330: S-PVA Samsung LTM201M1: Strong evidence)
2007 FP A03 - Panel Code UW473: S-PVA Samsung LTM201U1: Proof, someone disassembled )
2007 FP A03 - Panel Code HN210: S-IPS LG.Philips LM201U05: Suspected, process of elimination.

If you get an A03 Dell, share your Panel info from the service menu, so we can translate dells codes back into panel info. Especially if you are sure you know what type of panel you have, or even better you have taken it apart to confirm. :)

NOTE: If you have an older panel, the panel name is not obscured, it will directly tell you which panel you have.

To see the service menu(panel info on top line):

Turn off the monitor.
Hold down "menu" and the "+" while powering up the monitor.
When monitor is fully powered and the input graphic disappears: release "menu" and "+" then press the "-" button

It appears that not so many hoops are needed. The serial number reveals who manufactures your panel look at the last character it should be a letter:

My returned Dell 2007fp with Samsung PVA ended in "S".

"S" for Samsung (PVA in 2007 series).
"L" for LG (S-IPS in 2007 series).

I was the one who posted on the Dell forum about my RT803. I see all the color change when looking in extreme angles as I've seen S-IPS users report and taken pictures of. More reports on this would be great.

I just took delivery of a 2007WFP tuesday this week from Round Rock (Austin) and it was an LG/Philips S-IPS. Where are these newly coded panels showing up besides Europe/Asia?

joemama said:
I just took delivery of a 2007WFP tuesday this week from Round Rock (Austin) and it was an LG/Philips S-IPS. Where are these newly coded panels showing up besides Europe/Asia?
Were that revision A03?

Snowdog said:
Dell released the 2001fp with S-IPS, by the end switched to PVA.

Really? I had no idea. I bought a 2001FP very close to EOL of the product--I'm talking a matter of days before they discontinued it on their site--and I'm pretty sure I have an S-IPS. I can go the full 180-degree viewing angle and never get the bad color shift supposedly associated with PVA panels, and after color-calibration with a Spyder2Pro the colors track very closely to calibrated print results. Is there any way to tell for sure without going into the service menu? I don't want to have to reset all of my calibration afterwards, so no service menu stuff for me.

blunden said:
Were that revision A03?

The revision A03 is available for 2007FPW? Hmm I got mine on Oct 6th and i recall it was A02, i could be wrong....hmm

Anything Dell changes slowly makes its way through the supply chain. I saw people reporting getting A01s recently as well. All the new new 2x07s monitors are A03 now with the panel type hidden in code.

I've ordered one this morning. The ship date is Oct 30th, so I'll post with what I've got when it shows up.

From the Dell Community forum, here is at least one of the new panel codes that Dell is using instead of the actual panel names:

2007WFP
RT803 (V1B18)
RT803: Most likely - LG.Philips LM201W01 - S-IPS

tjhayko said:
I've ordered one this morning. The ship date is Oct 30th, so I'll post with what I've got when it shows up.

From the Dell Community forum, here is at least one of the new panel codes that Dell is using instead of the actual panel names:

2007WFP
RT803 (V1B18)
It's nice to see my report getting posted around. ;) I haven't seen any more report so the A03 must still be quite new.

Ordered my 2007WFP on Friday. Received it on Monday. A02. S-IPS. Service menu doesn't show obfuscated panel name. I have a suspicion it was a returned monitor since the analog connector was already on the monitor.

However... I have no dead pixels, no backlight issues, and perfect colors. And I'm using DVI. I'm very happy with my unit. :cool:

Get into the service menu and check the time. Hold down + and menu, then press power. Once it's on, hit - to see the menu. Would you also do me a favor and take a pic of your settings like this?

IMG_1336.jpg

RT803 RevA03 Made in Mexico Ordered on 10/9. Got it on 10/10 in Dallas, TX.
I have it sitting right next to an A02, S-IPS panel. They look identical to me. I don't have the best eye for these sorts of things, but I imagine the difference between IPS vs PVA would be pretty extreme, or else people wouldn't be so worried about it.

MentatYP said:
Really? I had no idea. I bought a 2001FP very close to EOL of the product--I'm talking a matter of days before they discontinued it on their site--and I'm pretty sure I have an S-IPS. I can go the full 180-degree viewing angle and never get the bad color shift supposedly associated with PVA panels, and after color-calibration with a Spyder2Pro the colors track very closely to calibrated print results. Is there any way to tell for sure without going into the service menu? I don't want to have to reset all of my calibration afterwards, so no service menu stuff for me.

I don't think the 2001FP ever used a PVA, but they have switched between the two on the 2007FP.

xtknight:
http://aryarya.net/wassyoi/lcdmemo.html
Dell 2001FP = 20.1 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04) panel.
Dell 2001FP ver2 = 20.1 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04-SL02) panel.
Dell 2001FP ver3 = 20.1 inch 12 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM201U1-L01) panel.

Much like the rarity of the PVA 2007wfp right now, it may have been rare to see one, it may not have even reached North America, but given Dells record, I have no reason to doubt these guys. I checked this page while waiting for my 2007fp and they had already noted the switch to PVA, but no one in North America had received one yet.

:heyguy. Yes it appears RT803 is the new designation for the LG S-IPS panel.

MentatYP said:
Simply opening up the service menu won't change any settings unless you purposely monkey around with them..

Diffendoofer said:
Ordered my 2007WFP on Friday. Received it on Monday. A02. S-IPS. Service menu doesn't show obfuscated panel name. I have a suspicion it was a returned monitor since the analog connector was already on the monitor.

However... I have no dead pixels, no backlight issues, and perfect colors. And I'm using DVI. I'm very happy with my unit. :cool:
All Dell monitors come with the vga cable attached for some reason....for the 2007FPW it may be to encourage you to go vga so you won't see the DVI banding issues. :p

Well I'm waiting on mine to arrive (crosses fingers). I tend to have horrid luck with stuff like this lol. Ordered date: 10/21.

I'll come back with a shot of the menu and all that stuff when it gets here.

Here's the service menu from my unit...looks like it's brand spanking new, like joemama says. No color banding that I've noticed and I'm using DVI in Desktop mode.

2007wfp.jpg

Did you change any settings? Like PC or MAC mode? Perhaps Color mode to Blue or Red from normal?

Reason I ask, cause our color settings are completely different in the menu. The shot of mine was without any changes whatsoever.

Yes, I did play with my color settings because I didn't like how bright the monitor was. I adjusted the brightness all the way down and was playing with the color controls to see if I could get a more pleasing gamma but I didn't so I reset everything to default through the menus. At least that's what I thought I did. My brightness is set to 10 though. Maybe that accounts for the difference?

I found adjusting gamma/brightness through ATI's CCC to work better.

tjhayko said:

2007WFP
RT803 (V1B18)

I picked mine up today, and just unpacked it. Made in China, Rev A02, it appears to be LM201W01 panel :) I'll try to post pics of the service menu later.

I was actually a little worried when I saw the "Made in China" sticker on the box, as I thought that was where the PVA panel story originated from.

All this still shows that A03 is only available in Europe. Can't find much differense though so you should probably be happy with A02.

blunden said:
All this still shows that A03 is only available in Europe. Can't find much differense though so you should probably be happy with A02.

I live in the US and received an A03 made in Mexico on Tuesday. It appears to be an S-IPS panel, have not checked the service menu yet.

the_bear said:
I live in the US and received an A03 made in Mexico on Tuesday. It appears to be an S-IPS panel, have not checked the service menu yet.

-Eric
Interesting. That's the first report I seen about getting them in the US. If you want to check what panel it is, the service menu won't help anymore. It will just give you a code. Maybe you can post that code here though.

I was looking to getting one of these, but i dont want one of the crap displays. Dell allows you to swap untill you get a good one correct?

The real question is when will they start selling 3007WFPs with a PVA panel? :confused:

Gawd I have to time my purchase of the right monitor at the right time with the precision of a marine sniper! ;)

StalkerZER0 said:
The real question is when will they start selling 3007WFPs with a PVA panel? :confused:

Gawd I have to time my purchase of the right monitor at the right time with the precision of a marine sniper! ;)

Mine should be delivered tomorrow, I will post up what rev it is when I get it setup.

the_bear said:
Mine should be delivered tomorrow, I will post up what rev it is when I get it setup.

Cool let us know.
I'm gambling on if I will have enough time to read reviews and make a decision whether I want the HP L3065 and if not....
Then if not if I would have enough time still to get a Dell 3007WFP before they switch over to PVA panels.
I'm biting my nails every day as I wait......PATIENTLEEEE for news. :( :eek:

just for clarification, the 2007 WFP used to come with a S-IPS,but now they are swaping to the PVA pannels correct?

So if i was to buy a 2007 WFP, it would be a gamble to see what pannel i would get?

Hi, I can confirm that my 2007WFP REVA03 is an S-IPS panel. It has the purple colour when viewing from extreme angles !

StalkerZER0 said:
Haha! Awesome. May the force be with you.

mikep7779 said:
just for clarification, the 2007 WFP used to come with a S-IPS,but now they are swaping to the PVA pannels correct?
There's been about 4-5 people in this thread + the WSGF thread and no one's gotten a PVA yet. If something happens, you've got 21 days from invoice.

soul1 said:
Hi, I can confirm that my 2007WFP REVA03 is an S-IPS panel. It has the purple colour when viewing from extreme angles !
Great. What's your panel code in the service menu? RT803?

Hi Blunden, I can confirm that when accessing the sevice menu, it says RT803.

I hope this helps !

blunden said:
Interesting. That's the first report I seen about getting them in the US. If you want to check what panel it is, the service menu won't help anymore. It will just give you a code. Maybe you can post that code here though.

Service menu shows RT803 like everybody else has reported with an A03.

We pray the "no dead/stuck pixel, minimal backlight bleed" S-IPS chant for you!!

hi (first post, here, for me)

here's a link to the screen photo I took of mine, just yesterday:

http://static.flickr.com/100/280135462_86dec7d913_o.jpg

its from mexico, rev A03, bought from costco just a few days ago. I think it was the LAST one that costco had - after I placed the order and refreshed the browser the 2007fpw isn't showing as a valid costco item anymore! wow ;)

/bryan

Back