Sceptre x22wg-Gamer 22" LCD

v0idm33h

Limp Gawd
I posted this in the HotDeals thread just because I know some are checking back on that post just for updates... I realize I should have just linked this -_- my badd. anyhoo...

Info on it so far:

Its definitely a TN panel. it gets very dark from botton up but other directions only wash out. The stand dosent adjust at all but they offer adjustable stands on their site + it has mounts on the back. Dosent bother me much but I know it will annoy some. 2 stuck pixles back to back. Petty close to the center too =/ they are stuck on green but will switch to any color in the warm spectrum. all colors lower then the stuck green and I get to stare at that nice 00FF00 green. Ill give it some time to see if it rights itself like my last lcd did but if not its going back for a new monitor. I <3 costco.

1_0150_s.jpg

Large: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0150.jpg

1_0153_s.jpg

Large: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0153.jpg

1_0155_s.jpg

Large: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0155.jpg

1_0156_s.jpg

Large: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0156.jpg

1_0160_s.jpg

Large: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0160.jpg

1_0161_s.jpg

Large: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0161.jpg

1_0162_s.jpg

Large: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0162.jpg

1_0163_s.jpg

Large: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0163.jpg

Nice - HDMI imput to boot. I wish those two 22" monitors for around $300 at Costco had been available several weeks ago when I bought my 22" Westy for $400 out the door at Best Buy. :( I like mine but almost $100 extra in my pocket would have been nice. :p

Can you please take some pictures of movies or games like xbox 360(specially viewing angles)

here are some pics of a movie(grandmas boy) and mid way through my 360 shoot I tryed to set the exposure time on it and the camera dosent want to go back to defualt anymore... so no angle shots for now. :(

1_0174_s.jpg

Larger: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0174.jpg

1_0175_s.jpg

Larger: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0175.jpg

1_0176_s.jpg

Larger: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0176.jpg

1_0177_s.jpg

Larger: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0177.jpg

1_0178_s.jpg

Larger: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0178.jpg

1_0185_s.jpg

Larger: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0185.jpg

1_0186_s.jpg

Larger: http://www.obligated2own.com/v0id/1_0186.jpg

thank you!!!! <3
So would you say it looks really good with the xbox 360? Are the cars nice and smooth (AA) when in 720p and what not?

Shottah_king said:
That sceptre 22" is very enticing..... Still can't make a decion of what LCD monitor I want.

It comes down to looks to me for my price. The 22" Viewsonic, Acer, Chimei, and now this Sceptre all use the same panel. So for the most part the image quality should be the same or at least very close. I've decided on the Sceptre for two reasons: The looks, to me the Acer's stand is horrible looking, the Viewsonic is just out right ugly, and the I dont care for the black and white mix of the Chimei. The Sceptre is nice all black and thin bezel. Second the Sceptre includes two USB ports and a headphone and mic jack also.

So maybe that'll help you choose. I dont think you can go wrong at these prices though.

Skrying said:
It comes down to looks to me for my price. The 22" Viewsonic, Acer, Chimei, and now this Sceptre all use the same panel. So for the most part the image quality should be the same or at least very close. I've decided on the Sceptre for two reasons: The looks, to me the Acer's stand is horrible looking, the Viewsonic is just out right ugly, and the I dont care for the black and white mix of the Chimei. The Sceptre is nice all black and thin bezel. Second the Sceptre includes two USB ports and a headphone and mic jack also.

So maybe that'll help you choose. I dont think you can go wrong at these prices though.
And the Sceptre has a better contrast ratio over the Viewsonic, at least according to their specs. Been resisting temptation for 2 weeks now... not sure how much longer I can go. :( Anyone have a pic comparing a 22" Wide Screen with a 19" regular lcd?

Skrying said:
It comes down to looks to me for my price. The 22" Viewsonic, Acer, Chimei, and now this Sceptre all use the same panel.

Are you for certain that the sceptre uses the same panel as the rest.. What about Samsung's 22" panel and LG's 22" panel..?

I wonder if the thread starter, can check the panel type for us?????

Shottah_king said:
Are you for certain that the sceptre uses the same panel as the rest.. What about Samsung's 22" panel and LG's 22" panel..?

I wonder if the thread starter, can check the panel type for us?????

Pretty much positive. Who else would they be getting their panel from? Samsung possibly but I highly doubt that. And which LG do you speak of?

The contrast ratio doesnt mean its a different panel. For example, Acer lists their monitor as 700:1 but Chimei says 800:1 for their's. But its the same exact panel.

Thanks once again, v0idm33h. I also have a L90D+ so that helps a bunch. :)

I'm pretty excited I just ordered mine the other day and can't wait to get it... it's a huge upgrade from my 19" crt...

The only problem I have with it is the resolution. My crt get's pretty high res and this only go's to 1680 x 1050... though the lower res is norm for lcd's and is expected... I'll just get used to it. It's worth it!!

Hey thanks for the comparison versus the 19" LCD. Now I know what
I am missing. The only problem I have now is that my 19" LCD's are only a year and a half old. I think I'll wait, but this deal is awfully tempting!

I ordered one on the 23rd but it still says "in process". I hope to have it early next week. But we'll see :p

can anyone compare the 22" to the 20" (X20WC-Gamer vs. x22wg-Gamer)

the specs say the 22" has a 1200:1 but with no glossy screen, and the 20" has 800:1 with a glossy screen, any advice?

i have the 8ms version of this monitor and i love it. not to sure about the glossy screen though. Acer had a similar monitor with a glossy screen and a lot of people did not like it

Silen7 said:
can anyone compare the 22" to the 20" (X20WC-Gamer vs. x22wg-Gamer)

the specs say the 22" has a 1200:1 but with no glossy screen, and the 20" has 800:1 with a glossy screen, any advice?

I really wouldnt pay to much into the 1200:1 contrast ratio of this monitor, I'm guessing its more around a 800:1. As for glossy, well there are benefits and disadvantages to such a screen. Read up on the bad and good and then decide. I'd personally go with the 22".

Skrying said:
I really wouldnt pay to much into the 1200:1 contrast ratio of this monitor, I'm guessing its more around a 800:1. As for glossy, well there are benefits and disadvantages to such a screen. Read up on the bad and good and then decide. I'd personally go with the 22".

If the contrast ratio is really closer to 800:1 like u say, that sucks cuz that was one of the main selling points for me... not the only, but one of the main ones... the hdmi doesn't hurt and the 5ms response time is hot too... and oh yeah... it's an upgrade from a 19" crt... so it's looking pretty hot...either way... still a little disappointed about contrast ratio...

the price more than makes up for it though!

contrast ratio is similar to the stat of gas milage on a car.

there is what they say it gets, versus what you really get.

read up on it on the web of reviewers that have the correct equipment to measure LCD stat's (such as contrast ratio). You will see what it really gets (at at least learn how they get the true contrast ratio). This will give you an idea of what should be expected.

i believe i read that many of the 800:1's (or 700:1) get around 480:1. I'd guess the 1200:1 would get around 800:1 .... which means it will still be better. :D

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum by a matter of chance actually. Was researching gaming LCDs for my 360 when I happened upon this thread for the Sceptre.

Anyway, this will be my first fore into the LCD realm and widescreens as a whole. Man, I tell ya, it sure isn't easy finding a decent widescreen in the $300-400 range that is relatively free of issues of some kind or another unlike CRTs. Not setting my sights too high or anything, but of the ones I've checked out it's either one thing or another.

Take the Viewsonic VX2025WM for example, great monitor in all respects including price, but too many reports of washed out colors when hooked up via the VGA cable to the 360. Other problems like no 1:1 scaling which means your images will be stretched if they are not the same as the monitor's native resolution, etc.

What I'm "trying" to find is -

20-22" (21 is actually about perfect, but 22" is totally acceptable)
8ms or better response time
No color banding / dithering (16.2 million colors)
A reasonable amount of backlight bleed (inherent issue with the tech I know)
Rich colors on screen
Design is pleasing to the eye
Has at least DVI and VGA inputs (with HDMI being a bonus)
And last but not least, NO DEAD PIXELS! :)

After all the reviews I've read and gone over I thought that I had found the perfect monitor in the Viewsonic, but then found some reports of issues with washed out colors when used with the 360. Sooo, the only other monitor I could find in the same price range with most of the things I'm looking for (as seen above) is the Sceptre x22wg-Gamer. I'm curious as to what the blue screen deal looks like when it happens, but could live with it. Chances are it's not too much unlike a VCR or TV that posts a blue screen whenever it gets no signal input.

In the end, I'll get the Sceptre, but am wondering about color banding on it. Based on the images that v0idm33h posted of PGR3, the one of the track with the blue sky appears to have dithering between colors which (correct me if I'm wrong) is seen on monitors with 16.2 million colors and not those with 16.7 million. If that's just a byproduct of the picture he took, then I can live with the blue screen, but if not then I may have to look for a different monitor.

Any input is appreciated. :)

I believe the odd case of banding happens on all LCD's, not just the 6-bit ones. It is a characteristic of LCD's (at least from what I have read .... my info may not be 100% accurate). I have read reviews where using the VGA instead of DVI helped reduce or eliminate banding. I have already read reviews that firmware updates help fix it ... or returning a display and getting another. But it seems to be e common characteristic that isn't consistent (if that makes sense ... ).

I have Samsung 225bw and love it. There are the odd thread on it here, worth taking a look.

Ah, ok. Good to know. Regarding your Samsung, are you using it with a 360 by chance or just your PC?

I just looked up your model and it looks real nice actually and the price is managable. Any complaints with it? Anything that sticks out that might bother others or for the most part is it a solid performer? I read a couple reviews on that one just now and the contrast isn't very good according to them. Based on the available pics included it looked like the contrast was about half of what it was being compared to which was a 21" Gateway panel. Personally, I prefer good contrast in my screens. Washed out colors or low contrast is what I'm trying to avoid.

The Samsung 225bw is just one of many new 22" LCD Monitors out or soon to come (see list below). As far as I can tell, these are all based on the same 22" TN panels made by CMO, although competitors Chunghwa Picture Tubes (CPT), Beijing BOE Optoelectronics Technology (BOE OT), and even LG-Philips are gearing up to ship 22" panels in early 2007. They all see it as a very hot market.

- Acer AL2216Wbd (widely available and now on clearance - has no HDCP support)
- ASUS (Asustek) MW221U (available soon)
- BenQ FP222W (available now at Newegg and also Compsource.com)
- Chi Mei 221D (available at Newegg)
- Dell 22" (Rumored for early 2007...no name or price yet)
- Gateway FPD2275W (available soon: w/4 USB, DVI, VGA, S-Video, PIP, Nice Stand)
- Hannstar 22" (Rumored only...may be available early 2007)
- KDS K-22MDWB (available now)
- MAG WB22D (available soon, w/ beefy stand)
- MAG WB22TD (available soon, same model w/ cheap plastic stand)
- Meiji JT229ZP (available early 2007, has 2 DVI ports)
- Mirai DML-522W100 (now available in Europe)
- Samsung 225BW (widely available)
- Sceptre x22wg (available now at Newegg, and soon again at Costco )
- Viewsonic VX2235wm (widely available, including just about any Costco warehouse)
- Viewsonic VG2230wm (available now...it's a VX2235wm w/ better stand)
- Viewsonic VX2245wm (available at Costco now w/ Ipod dock, 8-in-1 card reader, 4 USB ports)
- Westinghouse LCM-22W2 (available only at Best Buy for $500)

Interestingly, with all of these 22-inchers coming, the Sceptre x22wg will still be the only one with a HDMI port. That means it has 3 graphic inputs: VGA, DVI and HDMI. The monitor supposedly has higher contrast than the rest, too. If you are a gamer you will love it. I own the Sceptre and just ordered a second one. If you want a no-dead-pixel policy then Costco is your best option. You can take any monitor they sell back for a full refund - even the shipping cost if you bought it from them online. They have been selling the Viewsonic VX2235wm in their stores and the Sceptre x22wg online. (They are currently out of stock on the Sceptres, although they promise to get new stock shortly.) The Samsung 225BW is nice, especially because of the adjustable stand. I added an even nicer monitor stand called the Neo-Flex by Ergotron to my Sceptre. They are on clearance for under $50 at Staples, CompUSA and elsewhere. (See my earlier posts on FatWallet for easy mounting.) BTW, the thin black bezels on the Samsungs and Sceptres are nearly identical IMO.

I got this monitor a while ago, Scepter 22" and the only complaint I have is the stand, anyone know of a good stand or arm I could get for it?

I just got the Samsung 225bw and I love it. It was a Sceptre though, owned by one of my lan party buddies, that got me on the look out for a nice widescreen monitor. I really like how the Sceptre has all the input options. Still though, I think that out of all the 22" LCDs the Samsung is the sexiest. Great stand and smooth sleek lines...can't go wrong from that stand point. :D

RangerXML said:
I got this monitor a while ago, Scepter 22" and the only complaint I have is the stand, anyone know of a good stand or arm I could get for it?
I added a nice monitor stand called the Neo-Flex by Ergotron to my Sceptre. They are on clearance for under $50 at Staples, CompUSA and elsewhere. (See my earlier posts on FatWallet for easy mounting.) It's even beefier than the Samsung's and you can pivot the screen, too! :)

CoastalEddy said:
They have been selling the Viewsonic VX2235wm in their stores and the Sceptre x22wg online. (They are currently out of stock on the Sceptres, although they promise to get new stock shortly.)

So they're expected to get more Sceptres in stock shortly, was that in-store or online? I did stop by a couple Costcos today looking for one, but didn't see any on display. I would like to pick one up locally if I could, but as long as the return policy is the same online or in-store then I'm fine either way.

Atar3on said:
So they're expected to get more Sceptres in stock shortly, was that in-store or online? I did stop by a couple Costcos today looking for one, but didn't see any on display. I would like to pick one up locally if I could, but as long as the return policy is the same online or in-store then I'm fine either way.
I believe it is online only. I've never found the 22" Sceptre in any of the 3 Costco's by me, just the Viewsonic and the Acer.

Well, after calling a few local Costcos today in regards to the Sceptre, they all had the same thing to say. If it's no longer on their site they will no longer be offering it or bringing it back.

On an additionally annoying note, Newegg has also pulled the Sceptre from their site within the last 24 hours and has stated they will no longer be carrying it as well. WTF!?!?!?

Anyone here have any links to reputable e-tailers who sell the Sceptre x22wg? Looks like I'll be getting elsewhere if Newegg is going to (surprisingly) drop the ball.

yea its gone. I was wondering what happened. Now i'm back to the benq or samsung 22inches

Back