Building a gaming HTPC rig

crni

n00b
Well at first there was Stacker

And Stacker was good and mighty :D but although it goes well in the living room something was missing... so few days and hundreds of web pages later - winner was announced: Ahanix D4

Full aluminum body with 0.8 mm thick brushed aluminum front - the case was a dream. Even though it's full ATX spec case it was obvious that some work has to be done if I want to successfully transfer all components from Stacker to the new case in a way that overclocked X2/SLI system could work in it.

First thing was HDD cage. Originally supported only two HDD and it was mounted in such way that prevented installation of longer graphics cards such as 7800GT. Quick trip to hardware store and new cage that supported four HDD was made from copper. Also new cage was mounted in a way that doesn't interfere with graphics cards. At the same time I add 120mm intake fan to cooldown the HDDs and bring some fresh air into the case.

Second thing was to change the way PS is mounted. Originally it was mounted so that PS takes hot air from inside and push it out from the case. But in the process PS was overheated so I had to change that. Now air is drawn from the outside and PS is isolated from the rest of the system and running cold even under the max pressure.

Which brings me to the last change. Case did not have any opening other than small hole in the front so two new had to be made. One for 120mm front intake and one for the PS.

Time for the installation:

MBO Asus A8N-sli premium
2x 7800GT Sli + 2x NV silencer5 rev.3
2x 1Gb Patriot RAM
4x HDD (2x80Gb RAID + 320Gb + 160Gb)
A64 3800+ X2 + Freezer64pro
Audigy2 ZS
CM Realpower 450W
DVDRW Nec
Aerogate1

All vents (Freezer64pro, 120mm front intake, 2x NVsilencer5, 2x 60mm back) were connected to Aerogate1 and lower down to the minimum (7V)

Cool'n'quiet is off and CPU is overclocked to @2600. Only noise that computer makes is humming of the HDDs and with computer stashed inside media cabinet it's inaudible :)

Case has built in Samsung VFD lcd screen (2x16) connected to the parallel port with external cable. On included CD were port driver and LCD Smartie application for display control.

I was in dilemma should I install MCE but I didn't feel like reinstalling windows so instead I run Meedio with remote control via Girder. It's light on the resources (uses 30-60 Mb with almost hundred video files and over 6000 Mp3s) so I'm running it full time on the TV for watching and browsing media.

Every (!) component from my Stacker case is now inside Ahanix, temperatures are almost the same and I didn't even had to underclock :D
That's all, any comment is appreciated ;)

but what's the purpose of all these work? Why not buy a taller ATX towner case? What's the difference btwn. this case vs. any other ATX case? To me, there is a very limited air flow as there is no spc. left.

Back