G80 naked with mystery chip

hmm interesting core design there. looks very cool, and im sure its a 8800 it has to be

HMMMM.....

I just hope they work ffs. I am so tired of the current gens limitations.

Still not grabbing one until the verdict is out.

Ehh, the REAL question is of course...

"Whatever the hell it is, can we overclock it?"

I dont care if it's a wireless link to my e-Fridge... as long as it's overclockable!

Looks like a heat spreader. Maybe Nvidia decided it's time to use them.

edit:
n/m, was looking at the wrong thing.

teenk said:
Looks like a heat spreader. Maybe Nvidia decided it's time to use them.

n/m, was looking at the wrong thing.

The chip is all the way on the left...

+1 for SLI helper chip

I dont want an SLI helper chip on my card, not if I'm not going SLI!

Hmm, it looks like the mounting hole pattern has stayed the same! No new waterblock for Arcy!

Arcygenical said:
Ehh, the REAL question is of course...

"Whatever the hell it is, can we overclock it?"

I dont care if it's a wireless link to my e-Fridge... as long as it's overclockable!

LMAO!!!!!
Im hoping for a physics solution since I know I will never be able to buy an aeiga card any time soon. GPU takes priority over physics card, but if nvidia wants to throw one on, Im game!
:D

Here's hoping its a SLI/VIVO chip.

All I know is, I got $500 cash saved up thus far and hope to add another 2 or 3 hundred to that come next pay day. (watching Call for Help / Heroes / Anime @ work for OT FTW!)

one vote for DRM/HDCP bs - any better images of it anywhere?

Upon further review. It's in the place normally reserved for the RAMDAC. Maybe ramdac with integrated HDCP?

did anyone mirror the image? seems to be down.. (high bandwidth removal)

kuyaglen said:
All I know is, I got $500 cash saved up thus far and hope to add another 2 or 3 hundred to that come next pay day. (watching Call for Help / Heroes / Anime @ work for OT FTW!)

Where do you work. Can I get a job?

Arcygenical said:
Where do you work. Can I get a job?

i got it better than that :)

i can do the same but do it at home and get paid, work 20 hours a week for 40 hours pay :D

H-street said:
did anyone mirror the image? seems to be down.. (high bandwidth removal)

I looked through my browser cache **shudders** looking for it, and found the pics of the box, the card with hs, and the stupid dual (be sure to plug both aux power connectors in) graphic, but cannot find the one that shows this mystery chip. Sorry bro.

J-M-E said:
want image :(

002ge8kh5.jpg

Not the picture you want, but shows the different mystery chips on the GTX vs the GTS. Also saw a post where it compared the one SLI connector on the GTS to two separate connectors on the GTX. Is Quad SLI only going to be possible on the GTX? hmmmmmm.

im guessing its ither VIVO / HD / HDCP abilitys chip, some sort of SLi bridge chip (but i dont see why if the 6 and 7 series didnt need it) or im just trowing it out there, possibly an external mem controler.

ok i thought the 8800gtx had 2 power connecters that top card looks like it only has one, or are they stacked on top of each other?

phr0m said:
ok i thought the 8800gtx had 2 power connecters that top card looks like it only has one, or are they stacked on top of each other?

That one is the GTS :p the GTX is much longer than that. :eek:

lol, it looks photoshopped on there. Why would it be green, and everything else black. :p Anyhow, if it is on there, I speculate it could be used for time travel and/or virtual reality with a 4th and 5th dimension. No, its probably just a load handling processor for sli, or a dedicated chip to output to hdtv or something along those lines.. If you look on the 7900gtx, it has a space for it, but nothing is soldered in place. If you look at what will be changing from the 7 series to 8, you have DX10 capability (more software oriented), tons more power consumption, more circuitry, more ram, etc. It could be a controller chip for any of those.

I(illa Bee said:
I really hope they stay away form pointless dual power adapters..

pointless?? these monsters need teh power. would you rather have a ac plug from your video card to a wall?

Domini said:
pointless?? these monsters need teh power. would you rather have a ac plug from your video card to a wall?

I would....it's not like most rigs are far away from power sockets anyway.....

Then the ridiculously high psu's wouldn't be needed for the rest of the rig.

Tigerblade said:

Agreed. An AC adapter brick is MUCH cheaper than a 1000W PSU.

Just for grins, my wildest guess would be that the mystery chip is something to do with physics acceleration or DX10's geometry shader.

due to the lack of loads of text on the chip, I can safely bet that it's something that nVidia hasnt done before :p

I'd bet it's a processor processor. It synchs up all the nonsense between the upcoming quad core procs and vid card to make everything flow efficiently.

The chip is there so you can run embedded Linux on your video card to handle the new DX10 functions .. nVidia calls it the 8800KILLERgtx ... they're still working on a "K" shaped passive cooler for it tho ... I just read that over at the INQ

Domini said:

yes pointless... very very pointless. I have seen it before, the last card they had with 2 internal power inputs on it was ajoke. They said you need 2 seprate cables plugied into it. yet tons and tons of people used Y adapters and they worked jsut fine. Its not like the cables cant move enought power thru them...

I garentee you that if the 8800 or whatever it is has 2 plugs and I get 2 of them for SLI, I will use y adapters on each of my PCIe power plugs form my enermax 600w and it will work just fine.

Tigerblade said:

QFT

Also, it seems that the GTS is a dual slot hog with the heatsink on top... Are those style of heatsinks usually exhaust or intake? I have never owned one, and haven't bothered researching it.

unless something changed, in the leaked release documents it says the G80 will come with a PPU, I bet you that is the chip for it

dR.Jester said:
Kinda BS that this card won't be shipping with GDDR4. :mad:

i dont think GDDR4 was going to be readily available to meet production demands to launch before the holidays, Nvidia will rape in profits right now during the holiday season, then i bet we will see GDDR4 with the G81 refresh, once using GDDR4 is not a hindrance to production, i could be wrong, but honestly, other than pure memory bandwidth, i dont think we have seen a big increase in performance using GDDR4 vs. GDDR3

Back