Vista versions chart

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
I'm trying to find a nice complete chart comparing all the Vista versions on features because I'm researching whenever Vista Premium or Ultimate would be good for me. At least a chart comparing Business, Home Premium and Ultimate would be a good starter so if anyone know where, chime here :)

just type in Vista editions comparison chart in a yahoo browser, it will bring you to a pdf file from itedge.net :D

Question on the CPU support. The chart shows Home Premium supporting 1 cpu, does anybody know if that's regardless of the number of cores? Thanks.

teenk said:
Question on the CPU support. The chart shows Home Premium supporting 1 cpu, does anybody know if that's regardless of the number of cores? Thanks.
I have read that Vista will support dual core cpus . Not sure about the new Quad cores coming out.

BIGDADDY51 said:
I have read that Vista will support dual core cpus . Not sure about the new Quad cores coming out.

That's what I'm assuming too. Since XP home does not support dual cores I'm kinda worried that Microsoft might do the same to Vista Home. I'm using RC2 right now which is basically Ultimate so I'm not really sure about Home support for dual cores.

BIGDADDY51 said:
From what i've read it will support up to two physical cpu's. That should mean that if you can have up to as many cores as each cpu can hold. So you can can have two quad core cpu's on vista equaling 8 cores.

EDIT: or more cores depending on how they start scaling cpu's in the next couple years.

teenk said:
That's what I'm assuming too. Since XP home does not support dual cores I'm kinda worried that Microsoft might do the same to Vista Home. I'm using RC2 right now which is basically Ultimate so I'm not really sure about Home support for dual cores.
XP home does support dual cores, just not dual sockets. It'd show 4 logical processors on a pentium D with hyperthreading. XP Pro supports 2 sockets which means 4 processors with dual core, or 8 processors with quad core. Vista will work along the same lines.
Don't believe me? When installing vista RC2, don't put in a serial number and choose vista home basic and see what task manager shows.

From the comparison chart above. While all Vista editions will support either 1 or 2 physical cpus, None are limited to the number of cpu cores they support. Also note that to use 2 physical cpus, you need to use either Business or Ultimate./

wow starter edition is soo shackled, even ME seems a better option

eeyrjmr said:
wow starter edition is soo shackled, even ME seems a better option

Starter edition isn't supposed to be sold in North America / Europe / Asia but only in poor countries like africa, south america and others. The goal was to sell 150-200$ complete computers with a working OS.

About the cpu number, it is clearly written how much "physical" cpu it support and at the bottom, it state that the virtual processors is unlimited so you can get dual-core or quad-cores.

Personnally, from studying the chart, I will probably pick the Vista Home Premium since it has all I need, doesn't care for dual cpu and doesn't need Remote Desktop and Virtual PC. Ultimate would be better for those who are into dual cpu, RDM, VirtualPC and some Vista Business perks.

yeah... XP Home does support multiple cores. But only one processor.
Vista will be the same. The amount of cores does not matter.

also, that chart shows vista home supports 8gb/16gb for x86 processors???
(and 256mb for starter edition... ouch...)

Home Premium seems to be what most will buy. At $159 for an upgrade, I guess it aint that bad. I wonder if oem will be a little cheaper?

Xilikon said:
Starter edition isn't supposed to be sold in North America / Europe / Asia but only in poor countries like africa, south america and others. The goal was to sell 150-200$ complete computers with a working OS.

well they are out of luck. The UN is backing a $100 laptop with linux

If you have a community college near you, see if they offer courses in Microsoft products. Generally they will be part of MSDN which students get almost all Microsoft products for free as long as you are enrolled. These aren't evaluation or educational versions either. The downside is you only get 1 install per CD key so I just enroll every semester and stock up on the keys, then drop the class.

Our school gets the Ultimate edition of Vista next semester so I'll be sure to take advantage of it since it only costs $40 to enroll in a class.

I wonder how MS tells if you are a student or not when you run academic software. Lots of people on Pricewatch trying to sell it.

BIGDADDY51 said:
I wonder how MS tells if you are a student or not when you run academic software. Lots of people on Pricewatch trying to sell it.
they rely on the company selling the software to request proof before selling it, but that does not always occur.

ChingChang said:
they rely on the company selling the software to request proof before selling it, but that does not always occur.
Is it possible that they also use different keys for it.? Pricewatch has a TON of it right now at ridiculous prices from $50 and up. One guy says the cd says work at home on it" WTF is THAT?He claims its a full version, and will install on any pc Absolute software is the name of the vendor www.pricewatch.com I am sure there will be a lot of CRAP that everyone will be trying to unload before Vista is launched. http://stores.absolutesoft.net/cataloglist.html

BIGDADDY51 said:
Is it possible that they also use different keys for it.? Pricewatch has a TON of it right now at ridiculous prices from $50 and up. One guy says the cd says work at home on it" WTF is THAT?He claims its a full version, and will install on any pc Absolute software is the name of the vendor www.pricewatch.com I am sure there will be a lot of CRAP that everyone will be trying to unload before Vista is launched. http://stores.absolutesoft.net/cataloglist.html
yeah, the academic keys are different. The "Work at Home" one is academic version.. I got some from my college last year, they were selling academic versions of XP Pro for $5 (x64 + x86 included).
x64 = "Student Media / Work At Home Media" (Servers)
x86 = "Student Media" (Systems)
and on the disks it says "Not for retail or OEM Distribution. Not for resale."

They are full versions, nothing different than a retail or OEM aside from license. And when you type in the product key during setup, the image looks different :p

ChingChang said:
yeah, the academic keys are different. The "Work at Home" one is academic version.. I got some from my college last year, they were selling academic versions of XP Pro for $5 (x64 + x86 included).
x64 = "Student Media / Work At Home Media" (Servers)
x86 = "Student Media" (Systems)
and on the disks it says "Not for retail or OEM Distribution. Not for resale."

They are full versions, nothing different than a retail or OEM aside from license. And when you type in the product key during setup, the image looks different :p
Will it still activate?

BIGDADDY51 said:
Home Premium seems to be what most will buy. At $159 for an upgrade, I guess it aint that bad. I wonder if oem will be a little cheaper?

that's the conclusion I'm coming to also. At first I was set on Ultimate, but Home Premium is really what I need. Besides... the cost of Ultimate is crazy

BIGDADDY51 said:
Will it still activate?
yeah, activates fine. I've activated mine several times with no problems.

Only thing that's different is the license (the thing you agree to when you install it), the package, product key picture in windows setup, and the printed text on the CD.

Anyone else disgusted by the fact that MS is putting virtual limitations on hardware based on the version you buy?

I have no problems with their lack of support for features such as back up features, Aero UI, and other value-added applications on their base models, since there are other non-MS alternatives for these applications.

Putting restrictions on things like maximum supported RAM, # of network connections, CPU support is just wrong, since there probably isn't anything different than Vista Basic and Vista Ultimate that is preventing you from using > 8GB other than a soft limit enforced by the OS due to what version the serial number says you're running.

CubicleGeek said:
Anyone else disgusted by the fact that MS is putting virtual limitations on hardware based on the version you buy?

I have no problems with their lack of support for features such as back up features, Aero UI, and other value-added applications on their base models, since there are other non-MS alternatives for these applications.

Putting restrictions on things like maximum supported RAM, # of network connections, CPU support is just wrong, since there probably isn't anything different than Vista Basic and Vista Ultimate that is preventing you from using > 8GB other than a soft limit enforced by the OS due to what version the serial number says you're running.
I yhink it kinda bites that you would have to pay $40 more than Home Premium just to be able to run 2 cpus instead of 1 and give up Media center in the deal. But it's thier ballgame.

BIGDADDY51 said:

Willing to bet that site is selling pirate copies. I have seen a few of them as of late. Even the disks have holograms but if you look good you can tell they are fake.

I'll get vista upgrades from my action pack and my msdn through school. Prob be able to pick up windows business for less then a 100 bucks for a boxed copy as well through said school.

I also picked up one of those walmart notebooks the other day. It has media center on it so I'll get the home premimum from hp when it drops.

Big thing I haven't sceen any info on is the Quattro server. It is a home server product that may or may not see the day of light from what I've been reading. Pretty much it is windows domains for home users. Home Premimum will support it. I want to know what the limitations are for it. I have a feeling it will be like 5 users max or something but it could be interesting.

Back