Rule #25..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrogiblet

[H]ard|Gawd
As I am not the only one to complain about this I thought it should be brought up.

I am a long time forum user. I have been going to forums for 10 years or more. I've been to hundreds, if not thousands, of forums.

In those 10 years, I have always signed my posts using "-Brandon". One extra line at the end of my posts with my name and a little bit of a "sign off". Its a habit I got into years ago, and frankly, I dont even think about it anymore when I post. Its a natural impulse for me.

However, coming to this forum, I have been yelled at by at least 5 different people. And I've been sent 3 PM's over this. These posts have gotten into longer discussions, and have provided much more material to scroll over then I will potentially write "-Brandon" for as long as I'm a member of these forums.

Other members have commented on this rule as being excessive. Not allowing 70,000 people to write their names at the end of their posts or any other form of friendly sign off is almost an act against humanity, if you understand what I'm saying.

I only ask that this rule be revoked, or voted on or something. Or maybe an exception to the rule stating, if you don't use your formal signature, you can sign off on your posts or make your own signature at the end of each post. Fair trade off?

Another member wrote this about this rule. I might ad this member is a "Gawd"..

Hurin said:
That new rule is silly. Why don't we just go ahead and ban the last shreds of civility in internet discussion? Will we be mandating that everyone speak l33t soon too?

How difficult is it to scroll past a line or two? Isn't that why they invented mouse wheels? :D

If someone can't sign off with "Best Regards" or something of that nature, things are just getting odd.

(25) You are allowed one signature per post. A signature section is supplied for that usage. No one wants to see your name on your posts multiple times as it is annoying.

Which means, if you do not use a traditional signature, then you may sign it.

Example:

Bbq: blah. -bbq

OR

Bbq: Blah.

I think you know what i mean.

Ok awesome. Thanks for the quick reply and PM!

Testing this out now..

-Brandon

Edit: And it works!

I didn't think there was ever any question that it would work. I think the question was regarding whether we might be disciplined for "signing" our posts with our names and a formal "Best Regards" or "Take Care."

I understand that we'd like to limit people saying "Take Care, Hurin" and then have the same type of thing in their signature. But, if their hardware is in their signature without any type of valediction, it makes sense to allow a valediction and a "signing" of their post as it won't be redundant. If I understand things correctly, that's what the rule intends to say. But it's not entirely clear. :(

If that is the intent of the rule, then I fully retract my (mostly tongue-in-cheek) criticizm.

Best,

H

P.S. There I go again!

Astrogiblet said:
Other members have commented on this rule as being excessive. Not allowing 70,000 people to write their names at the end of their posts or any other form of friendly sign off is almost an act against humanity, if you understand what I'm saying.

LMAO. You take this forum way too seriously.

I only ask that this rule be revoked, or voted on or something.

Since when is this a democracy? :p

i want to know how this rule even came into effect. it seems kinda wierd that something like this could even offend someone or be abused.

I believe the main culprit was Terra. Trust me, it was annoying.

I think there's even another thread where there's more detail on the subject, somewhere around here.

Not following this rule will get you a three day ban, starting now.

If you do not like the rules of our forum, DO NOT USE OUR FORUMS.

There is a signature section provided for you, I suggest you use it if you need your posts "signed." This allows us folks that do not want to see your sig posted over and over and over the ability to turn it off.

General Crespin said:
I believe the main culprit was Terra. Trust me, it was annoying.

I think there's even another thread where there's more detail on the subject, somewhere around here.
lol. i was trying to remember the guys name that had the most annoying signature line. Terra is definitely it...
he would always put some dumb quote at the end. if i knew where that guy lived IRL i would have broke his nose.

yeah, why are people complaining? the profile signature is plenty. it's very customizable so you can make it more "visible".
why do you need to sign anyway? we can read your screennames...

I've had Terra blocked since he showed up. Is he finally gone? I hated his stupid "dynamic signature," it was the most annoying damn thing in the world.

lithium726 said:
I've had Terra blocked since he showed up. Is he finally gone? I hated his stupid "dynamic signature," it was the most annoying damn thing in the world.
I think he or she? has been banned.

This rule DOES serve a purpose, and I wholeheartedly support Kyle's decision. If anyone here knew Terra, he would always end his post (which was usually a flame war) with something like "Terra - One of us is a dunbass and it's not me..." It was annoying as hell.

Oh yeah, IBPMGM (in before poor-man's gen may).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back