Need help setting up ZoomPlayer/Fddshow/NV Purevideo Decoder..etc.

AOM

Gawd
I basically need help with everything that's listed in the thread title as I don't have extensive knowledge with using any of these programs and what settings to adjust etc. I did a search on the forums and found some older posts on what to adjust etc. Problem was after reading the posts and then trying to mimic the settings I wasn't finding some of the codes that I have installed to be listed.

So I thought I'd ask for help in a new post for what I need to do/upgrade and what settings could I run with my particular setup. I have the system listed in my sig below and I think I should have more than enough processing power to run and do what I want, or at least I think I do?

I have Zoom Player Professional version 4.51, FFDShow[rev.2543],NVIDIA.Pure Video Decoder V. 1.02.233, WMP v. 10.00.00.4306 (if this matters). I'm also using the KLCodec 277FBeta1version of codec files. I also have Power Dvd and another player or two in some software that I don't have installed at this time but can install if needed.

When I bring up the zoom player and try to play I file I get some errors of not finding certain things so I'm sure this is just settings. When I try to find the codec for the NV Purevideo Decoder in the zoom player settings it doesn't show up under the video decoder listing.

Another question I have is, when you install the NVidia purevideo decoder does it show up in the start/programs menu in windows or only in players with some sort of shortcut to access the menu for settings adjust??

Finally, here's what I want to be able to do with the player and what I'm looking for out of the codecs etc. I would like to be able to view my dvd's via Zoom Player or WMP with upconversion to experience the incredible picture quality difference that I've read about and seen in screenshots. I would also like to set up the ffdshow or nvpv decoder to upconvert standard SD signals as well and improve HD if that is possible.

I have an AVerMedia TVHD MCE A180 and a ATI Theater 550 PRO TV Tuner, PCI Express for SD on the way, as well as another 250g hd for additional storage space.
I would like to run my comcast sd signal through the ATI card if possible and then upconvert the signal to the best quality possible.

I wanted a quam tuner to take advantage of the comcast hd channels that aren't flagged but couldn't seem to locate a pci express card with that capability (though I could've missed one).

I also need help with the audio settings as well to get the best sound quality for my setup. Right now I have an adaptor out my Audigy 2 ZS pro going into my receiver via rca cables (analog :eek: ) but at least I get Dolby Prologic 2 EX or 5.1 Stereo so it's not all bad :D .
I'm going to order Sound Blaster Home Theater Cable or Sound Blaster Digital I/O Module to connect to my receiver for 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround.

According to the listing of what sound cards work with the digital I/O module, mine will not work with it. I find this strange b/c an Audigy 2 Value and an Audigy Value/Se will work with it but my Audigy 2 Pro will not?? I have a digital audio out on my sound card where this unit is supposed to connect so I don't see why it won't work, but if someone know's if it will or why it won't please let me know as I'm going to order one this week.

I'm going to be using my pc for hd recording and viewing for now as well as some sd recording viewing as well. This whole pc will soon be in converted to an HTPC case with Vista and a new Core 2 or AM2 system will be my 2nd HTPC/Gaming rig on a new, not yet decided 1080p 56" or larger tv or possibly a projector setup. Though that's 6months down the road so for now I'll be living with HD on my Sony HD PC monitor.

Any comments (positive) or help is muchly appreciated as I have no experience with HTPC's yet and have just decided to start toying around with all the cool possibilities it will offer. ;)

*Sorry about the size of the post with all the info and questions, but I've learned to give as much info as possible to make it easier on the people trying to help you.* Thanks Again!!!!!

well, there seems to be 2 issues here. video codec/player config and an audio question.

Codec question. I would say reinstall the nvidia codec and them go here and come back if you have more problems...
http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=48

Audio question. If you are able to use Toslink digital output to your receiver, ditch the audigy and buy one of these...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829120103

great card for HTPC use. Good digital output for the best surround sound for multimedia. now if you want top game perfromance, stick with your audigy and use the analog cables. Witht he chaintech you will just get the prologc surround. You have to use the analog out of an Creative card to get the EAX features.

Okay, first off, you installed Klite which means inorder to do anything you're going to have to reformat cause Klite throws all sorts of crap onto your HDD messing things up. It's garbage.

Once thats done you need to install an MPEG2 codec (NV Purevideo in this case) and FFDShow (newest, stable build: http://www.cccp-project.net/) and install that with maybe Real Alternitive if you need it.

The important thing is to get Klite off because that, most likely cause this is what it does, is causing your codec related issues.

You can only access the Purevideo settings when you playback an MPEG file, stupid I know but thats how it is. The icon will show up in the system tray so just pause the video and double click the icon.

The FFDShow link is a bit outdated and you'll want to stick with Zoomplayer (although WMP11 is looking okay now but thats like saying "that pile of crap doesn't smell as bad as I would have thought"). You'll want to go through this post I made a few days ago: http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=24645&view=findpost&p=159649

And no, FFDShow isn't needed for HD material. Thats the whole point of HD material.
I would like to run my comcast sd signal through the ATI card if possible and then upconvert the signal to the best quality possible.
Upconverting live TV isn't really practial or I should say it eats systems for breakfast. You just can't really do it. Now recorded TV is possible.
I wanted a quam tuner to take advantage of the comcast hd channels that aren't flagged but couldn't seem to locate a pci express card with that capability (though I could've missed one).
Thats cause there aren't any PCIe HD tuners out there and the only one on the horizon doesn't do QAM since QAM isn't really supported by nearly any PVR app due to it being too spotty. If you want to do this then demand an STB with Firewire out and use that instead. Easier to setup, easier to get working.
I also need help with the audio settings as well to get the best sound quality for my setup. Right now I have an adaptor out my Audigy 2 ZS pro going into my receiver via rca cables (analog ) but at least I get Dolby Prologic 2 EX or 5.1 Stereo so it's not all bad .
I'm going to order Sound Blaster Home Theater Cable or Sound Blaster Digital I/O Module to connect to my receiver for 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround.
Creative = utter waste of money when it comes to HTPCs. Go with what ID linked too.
*Sorry about the size of the post with all the info and questions, but I've learned to give as much info as possible to make it easier on the people trying to help you.* Thanks Again!!!!!
And thank god for that. Most just throw up a thread with an issue without giving any info on their hardware and software. It's a pain in the ass really.

K thanks for all the info and I'll refer back to this thread if I need anymore help or have any additional questions etc. Formating the hd isn't going to happen, but I can and will remove all the crap that codec pack added in. Being in the IT industry I'm up to speed on removing software and cleaning out the junk it leaves behind in the registry etc.

Only in mpeg video's to be able to adjust settings is just crappy imo but whatever, I'll get that worked out. As far as the sound card is concerned, yes I'll keep the audigy thx b/c I play a good pit of pc games and that chaintech card is like comparing a Ferrari to a Kia ... :rolleyes: .

Plus I want dolbydigital ex/dts-es sound since it's available to me with my receiver, so I'll just buy the I/O module and the cable both and try them out. $30 for both isn't bad and if the I/O module doesn't work with my card I might pick up a new one or just sell the module on the FS/T forums here at the [H]. ;) Prologic isn't bad but I prefer the digital sound if the media supports it.

As far as upconverting the sd content live, we'll I assumed that wouldn't be happening but I might give it a shot anyway just to see how it goes, but I was mainly speaking of recorded content. I also figured I couldn't get a quam tuner yet for the pc in pci-e so I might look into the stb if I can get one that has firewire out enabled.

I'll definitely be picking your brain on tweaking my picture quality a bit in the future Crim if you don't mind, since you seem to have a good understanding of the software and how to tweak it. :cool:

Thanks again!!

AOM said:
Only in mpeg video's to be able to adjust settings is just crappy imo but whatever, I'll get that worked out. As far as the sound card is concerned, yes I'll keep the audigy thx b/c I play a good pit of pc games and that chaintech card is like comparing a Ferrari to a Kia ... :rolleyes: .

Plus I want dolbydigital ex/dts-es sound since it's available to me with my receiver, so I'll just buy the I/O module and the cable both and try them out. $30 for both isn't bad and if the I/O module doesn't work with my card I might pick up a new one or just sell the module on the FS/T forums here at the [H]. ;) Prologic isn't bad but I prefer the digital sound if the media supports it.

In the gaming department I'll go with your Ferrari/Kia analogy, but since it is an audigy 2 pro I'd probably say more like a corvette than a ferrari. ;)

However for multimedia playback, if you are using digital output the sound card is mearly passing data to the receiver and allowing it to decode. This is typically the best option as that is the primary function of the receiver. The Chaintech has high quality connectors and is solidly built. It has been proven to pass the data as well as any sound card in the consumer market. It is a case of a highly specialized card that is perfect for passing digital sound output to a receiver and not wasting money on the other features.

We'll I wanted to update that I got the sound working properly as well as zoomplayer with hdtv files and sd tv files. I can see a huge difference in the clarity and picture quality between it and wmp.

I decided to try a dvd about a week ago now and have fooled around with settings and even used the settings that were in the post CrimandEvil linked but my player continues to give errors and not play the dvd properly.

If I mess around with it enough I can get it to start to load the dvd but there's all kinds of artifacting in the picture and then it just locks the player up and I have to use task manager to end the program.

I will try and take some screenshots of my settings later today and post them in the thread so that you may see how I have things setup to better help me. I would like to get this working to see the quality difference when upconverting dvd's as well.

I keep getting "Filter Connection Error" Not all filters can connect properly. If a filter listed above is an "additional filter", try unchecking it in the options dialog. Additional Info: 80040207: There is no common media type between these pins.

I've tried removing and changing to different filters but have had no such luck in getting it to work properly.

Thanks for any and all help with fixing this issue. :)

anyone have help with this last part?? Gonna take some screenies and add them in just a bit.

Back