8800GTS Power Question

InSurGeNcE

n00b
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade to the 8800GTS in the near future; it will be part of a complete system upgrade. I have a question regarding the powering of the 8800GTS. The mfg. specifecations state that the 8800GTS needs 26A on +12v line. I am looking to buy the 500W Antec SmartPower PSU. The conflict is that there are two 12v lines, and they are 17A and 19A, respectively. I am just wondering, would these two lines combine into one to give me enough juice? Will i have to buy a beefier PSU? Thanks for any replies in advance.

Thanks again,
insurgence

That means you have 36 amp in your 12volt rail...

I think it's enough for 8800GTX

That's 26A for the ENTIRE rig... Not just the card.

So, make sure the card is the only thing on the (larger) 12v line... And everything else on the other.

Arcygenical said:
That's 26A for the ENTIRE rig... Not just the card.

So, make sure the card is the only thing on the (larger) 12v line... And everything else on the other.

You forgot to carry over the 1... It's 36ampz..

That would be fine but if you have SLi in mind for the future you should just shell out for a between 750- 1 KW of power. If you never plan to SLi then go for the 500 watt you mentioned.

Marvelous said:
You forgot to carry over the 1... It's 36ampz..

I meant the card needs 24a,,, not what the PSU can supply :p

And yeah, a good 650-750w should be enough for 1-2 GTX's

Arcygenical said:
I meant the card needs 24a,,, not what the PSU can supply :p

And yeah, a good 650-750w should be enough for 1-2 GTX's

Liar... :p

You wrote "26amps for the entire rig"

Marvelous said:
Liar... :p

You wrote "26amps for the entire rig"

Jeez Marv... ok back to ground 0

The quoted power requirement to run the 8800GTS is 26a on the 12v rail. That 26a is for the ENTIRE system, not for just the card. (OP quoted "state that the 8800GTS needs 26A on +12v line.")

The fact that his PSU can supply 36a, and the card uses 26a is what got you confused.

When I said "That's 26A for the ENTIRE rig... Not just the card."

I wasn't adding up the rails on his 12v PSU, I was just quoting the amperage value of the GTS (that the OP posted)

Jesus!

Arcygenical said:
Jeez Marv... ok back to ground 0

The quoted power requirement to run the 8800GTS is 26a on the 12v rail. That 26a is for the ENTIRE system, not for just the card. (OP quoted "state that the 8800GTS needs 26A on +12v line.")

The fact that his PSU can supply 36a, and the card uses 26a is what got you confused.

When I said "That's 26A for the ENTIRE rig... Not just the card."

I wasn't adding up the rails on his 12v PSU, I was just quoting the amperage value of the GTS (that the OP posted)

Jesus!

Thanks for clearing that up... :rolleyes:

Marvelous said:
That means you have 36 amp in your 12volt rail...

I think it's enough for 8800GTX

No it does not mean you have 36A on your +12V. It means that the maximum on each rail is 17A and 19A respectively, but the total maximum is typically lower.

Back