[H]ot quad core server barebones (Mb/case/cpu/ps) for ~ $700

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
2* CPUS
motherboard/powersupply/hs&fans Link
use code ship4less for $1.99 shipping @ geeks. Not sure of shipping @ provantage.

I guess no-one else finds this hot ? :)

I imagine everyone has 775/939/am2 already, heh.

Robstar said:
I guess no-one else finds this hot ? :)

I imagine everyone has 775/939/am2 already, heh.

I'd rather buy the cpu's from the egg for $8 more with 3 year warranty, and HS&F

but yes, it's a hot config for the money

Problem is...
the 265s you link are NOT listed as supported by the case/mobo in the 2nd link

zmax.gif

I'd find it hot, if it would actually function.

But, I see no evidence "proving" it to me that this configuration would even boot.

penguincomp said:
That's not quad cores...that's for a dual opty single core.
Which is what I think he was referring to.

This system @ geeks supports dual SOCKET, single core processors.
No DUAL core processors are listed.

All the prices are good. It's just the configuration that is erroneous.

The latest BIOS supports dual-cores. Though I suppose you would need at least one single-core CPU to boot and flash the BIOS before sticking in dual-cores.
The 300W PSU is a bit skimpy. But good enough for a server.

CyberDeus-RagDoll said:
I'd rather buy the cpu's from the egg for $8 more with 3 year warranty, and HS&F

but yes, it's a hot config for the money

Problem is...
the 265s you link are NOT listed as supported by the case/mobo in the 2nd link

zmax.gif

I'd find it hot, if it would actually function.

But, I see no evidence "proving" it to me that this configuration would even boot.

Which is what I think he was referring to.

This system @ geeks supports dual SOCKET, single core processors.
No DUAL core processors are listed.

All the prices are good. It's just the configuration that is erroneous.

Actually, it should function fine.
Look here

oakfan52 said:
what the hell am i going to do with 4 cores and only 2GB of RAM?

Unless you are running a huge database, 2 GB should be fine. I'm running four folding clients with large work units, and total memory utilization is not even 1 GB.

oakfan52 said:
what the hell am i going to do with 4 cores and only 2GB of RAM?

Fold!

Ok..give me a few days and I'll tell you if it'll handle the DC Opty's or not. I have this setup with 252's.

This setup definitely is dual core capable (some1 did it over at 2cpu.com). Howver if you are looking for performance an e6600 with a good mobo is a much better option. Remember powereing 2 dual-core processors is going to take a lot of the small PSU in the ZDmaxdp which will limit the video card you can install with it. I've been keeping my eyes on the ZDmaxdp and ebay hoping to score some 265's for some where close to $100 each, anything more than that and the setup is going be more headaches then can be justified for the price. Note that the OC features of the zdmaxdp are not that great and e6600's can be OCed to 3.6 ghz pretty regularly with decent cooling and run faster clock for clock 1.8 ghz * 4 = 7.2 ghz (for the 265) and 3.6 *2 = 7.2 ghz (for the OCed e6600)

I don't think Windows XP Pro supports 4 cpus .. if you're running Windows Server, sure, but XP Pro, you're just paying extra $$ for no real extra performance over dual processors.

I'd consider going that way if I was building out a nice Linux or OpenBSD box.

Correct me if I'm wrong about XP Pro, please.

vbrtrmn said:
I don't think Windows XP Pro supports 4 cpus .. if you're running Windows Server, sure, but XP Pro, you're just paying extra $$ for no real extra performance over dual processors.

I'd consider going that way if I was building out a nice Linux or OpenBSD box.

Correct me if I'm wrong about XP Pro, please.

There have been people who have used XP Pro and enabled hyperthreading on some pentium D 9xx series cpus. Windows XP Pro thusly showed 4 "cpus"

I do not know if it supports THIS config with 4 *actual* cores, as I have not tried to have it do so.

I thought the kentsfield demo was on an XP machine, not a vista machine.

robstar said:
Actually, it should function fine.
Look here
as for that, I stand corrected. Nothing on the product pages that I could find stated that it supported dual core cpus. I hear mention of a "bios update", but, all of the official iwill sites seem to be offline (are they out of business?, a shame, since I own two iwill mini-pcs)
The link is of course, just "something posted on a forum". I don't feel it's unwarranted for me to have been skeptical as I can find no "official" information to backup the claim.

I never said the prices weren't good. I just questioned if the configuration itself is valid.
a dual socket barebones is worth well more than the listed price, but then again, geeks.com is KNOWN for deals.

Socrilles17 said:
This setup definitely is dual core capable (some1 did it over at 2cpu.com). Howver if you are looking for performance an e6600 with a good mobo is a much better option. Remember powereing 2 dual-core processors is going to take a lot of the small PSU in the ZDmaxdp which will limit the video card you can install with it. I've been keeping my eyes on the ZDmaxdp and ebay hoping to score some 265's for some where close to $100 each, anything more than that and the setup is going be more headaches then can be justified for the price. Note that the OC features of the zdmaxdp are not that great and e6600's can be OCed to 3.6 ghz pretty regularly with decent cooling and run faster clock for clock 1.8 ghz * 4 = 7.2 ghz (for the 265) and 3.6 *2 = 7.2 ghz (for the OCed e6600)

All depends on the kind of performance you are looking for.
4 cores @ 1.8 ghz (each will do MUCH better at threading multiple activities (such as e-commerce databases) than a crazy overclocked e6600.

The error in your logic is that the e6600 is still only dual core.

In laymens terms.. 4x1.8 ghz cores, in certain applications, can outperform
2x3.6 ghz cores

Additionally, a dual core, 3.6 ghz machine will have to be out of spec somehow. Out of spec is a good way to corrupt a database:)
It is FAR more sensible to run your SERVER at stock clock settings.
Nobody would be buying this thing as a gaming machine, anyhow, not nowadays.

which will limit the video card you can install with it.
I believe the thing has an AGP slot, not pci-express. So.. uhm. Your not going to be putting an 8800GTX in it anyhow. But, then again, as I said, this is a SERVER box. Who uses dual 940 opterons for "power gaming" - I'm sure I have enough fingers and toes to count the number of games that could make use of a 4 core availability. Maybe farcry?

Wasn't there a big thing about "quad core intel = not good for gaming?"

I mean, this thing requires REGISTERED memory.. how many more hints that its "not a gaming machine" are needed?

Portable lan server? Hell yeah. want to setup a 64 man, CS:S game and need a server for it that doesn't weigh 90 lbs? Here ya go.

It would make a great HTPC, a great portable rendering station (can support a quadro, or a firegl) etc..

I think alot of people are taking this deal out of context.

1) This is not for a gaming machine. Who would buy an AGP box for gaming ?
2) This is for pure number crunching. 265's or 270's should be very nice for tasks that can use them.
3) This should make a great vmware testing box.
4) This can take 4G of ram with 2G sticks. Search 2cpu.com forums for info
5) XP Pro will see all cores. My xp pro 32-bit sees my dual 285's as 4 cpu's just fine. Windows is licensed _PER_SOCKET_ and should see any number of cores as long as you keep it to two sockets. Obviously when we get to 16 core procs, or beyond it probably won't work because I don't think any windows version can see more than 32 cores at the moment.
6) This should be decent for cpu bound applications. THe memory bandwidth is not going to be more than socket 939 (no NUMA)

Back