8800gtx performance problems?

todlerix

2[H]4U
I've been playin with my card, it runs oblivion maxed out no problem, but need for speed carbon is going nuts. I reinstalled windows after finishing my overclocking, after installing carbon.. got in im getting like 20fps, using latest official drivers.

i tried turning off my overclock, no avail.

Anyone have a solution/recommendation?

I've tried disabling everything in control panel, i've tried leaving things application control, still terrible FPS

Need for speed Carbon is a friggin DOG. I think it's safe to say that it runs like crap for just about everyone who has been unfortunate enough to purchase it. :(

I think everyone is hoping that a future driver release or patch from EA will fix it...

It runs about 3x faster on my 1950xtx than my 8800gtx. All other games are fine though.

perhaps there is a reason why nvidia didnt want the cards to block clocked as a retial product?ive seen quite afew ppl having problems with thier cards after they have clocked em.

Sorry if i didnt make this clear. it was running fantastic while overclocked before hand

new pc- first install of windows, overclocked and not overclocked it ran 70+fps
second install, overclocked/not overclocked ran 20fps max. whether the settings were max (16xAA 16xAF) or eveything low (aa-off af-off) theres something thats causing it to f' up.

Also, strangley enoughon my first install of windows, no issues at all.while loading the game, on my second attempt, i got a direct x error, even though before i tried installing the game i had installed the latest right from directx' website.

It bothers me a lot that i cant play this game at playable framerates, regardless of what card i use. or settings. Especially since i was playing it just before.

removed ntune, problem fixed?

now im angry because that doesnt make any sense, but im happy cause its working at sexy image quality

I had a similiar issue. I had ntune installed and for some reason the system process would go nuts on cpu usage.

I had the same problem with NFS: Carbon and my 7950gx2. I had to reformat TWO times because it kept not only running horribly, but would cut my 3dmark06 from 8000 to 3000 after installing the demo.

System restore didn't help, new drivers didn't help either, I have no idea what it did. Perhaps it puts something in the registry like "H_Key_Local_Machine_make_thisRIG_slow!" :p

NFS carbon ran like crap on my SLI 8800 GTX setup. It was horrific, but I think my problem was with the drivers themselves.

Card was throttling down to about 25% performance in the primary pci-e slot. I tried removing all of the drivers, re-installing, cleaning, etc. to no avail. As I had two cards I tested them both in pci-e slot 1 and both sucked. In the secondary slot for SLI they were fine.

Test your card in 3dmark06 and make sure you getting kick ass frame rates in the default tests. If you see 15fps in the first 3dmark06 graphics test it's borked and is probably the known driver problem with both the 680i and 8800 GTX drivers. If you cannot fix the driver you have to re-install the o/s (like I did...as per recommendations of others here). That worked. If you do have to re-install the drivers install the latest version only and don't touch them afterwards.

Not sure if that's your problem, but could be. They are working on a driver update. I didn't notice it until I actually tested 3dmark06 and my score was terrible (slower than my 7900 GTX SLI).

masaville said:
NFS carbon ran like crap on my SLI 8800 GTX setup. It was horrific, but I think my problem was with the drivers themselves.

Card was throttling down to about 25% performance in the primary pci-e slot. I tried removing all of the drivers, re-installing, cleaning, etc. to no avail. As I had two cards I tested them both in pci-e slot 1 and both sucked. In the secondary slot for SLI they were fine.

Test your card in 3dmark06 and make sure you getting kick ass frame rates in the default tests. If you see 15fps in the first 3dmark06 graphics test it's borked and is probably the known driver problem with both the 680i and 8800 GTX drivers. If you cannot fix the driver you have to re-install the o/s (like I did...as per recommendations of others here). That worked. If you do have to re-install the drivers install the latest version only and don't touch them afterwards.

Not sure if that's your problem, but could be. They are working on a driver update. I didn't notice it until I actually tested 3dmark06 and my score was terrible (slower than my 7900 GTX SLI).

A great alternative to reinstalling the OS is to just repair the Windows XP drivers by entering "sfc /scannow" in the Run command found on the start menu.

Always try that first before resorting to a reinstall of the OS.

Bo_Fox said:
A great alternative to reinstalling the OS is to just repair the Windows XP drivers by entering "sfc /scannow" in the Run command found on the start menu.

Always try that first before resorting to a reinstall of the OS.

The problem with that command is that it can also change dll relationships with other progies and cuase even more issues , the extent of which would be determined by how recently the programs were installed in relation to the last OS update no? or with XP its different?

I am also having performance problems with my 8800GTX..

Did a clean format, slipstreamed all my drivers into the install and DX9c.. Still issues.. Before AND after dual-core optimization stuff..

Specs:

eVGA 8800GTX
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 4400+ X2
2GB memory
30" Dell

Make sure latest chipset drivers are installed and do not discount a bios upgrade. I read a few guys got back to normal after 1.) bios upgrade (when using the GTX on ATI chipsets)
and 2.) after removing Ntune. It would seem ntune is cuaseing some issues

jacuzzi - I slipstreamed all the latest chipset drivers.. I however have not updated to the latest beta bios for my motherboard.. I should try that..

Is ntune installed by default? I did not install ntune, just whatever came with the drivers normally..

Maybe resetting the cmos as well.. hmm..

roper512 said:
jacuzzi - I slipstreamed all the latest chipset drivers.. I however have not updated to the latest beta bios for my motherboard.. I should try that..

Is ntune installed by default? I did not install ntune, just whatever came with the drivers normally..

Maybe resetting the cmos as well.. hmm..

I am not sure, i just got my card UPS and will be installing it tonight but i believe you have to download it at the Nvidia site so more than likely thats not your issue.

Hey forget the slipstream for a moment and unistall then chipset drivers and then reinstall them. Could be something wierd that could be corrected in that manner. Stranger things have happened

good luck

That's worth a shot. I'll try this stuff out when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions!

jacuzz1 said:
Hey forget the slipstream for a moment and unistall then chipset drivers and then reinstall them. Could be something wierd that could be corrected in that manner. Stranger things have happened

good luck

eh... Having issues still I believe.. I have a question though.. I ran 3dmark06.. and on the third graphics test (the one after the firefly test) it was going at between 0 and 1 frame per second.. I have a feeling this is not right. Would I be right in saying that? Or is this some special test that is normally abysmally slow?

Weird as usually a clean format with nothing but drivers and a game solve all problems, this time around it is not.. It's either a BIOS issue, driver incompatibility with my motherboard or something.. I tried the 97.02's and also the 96.93s or whatever which are compatible with the 8800 series cards.. =/

I have not run that in awhile but it sounds like your cpu test in which case thats normal. Even the most powerful cpu's do 0-5fps in that test

Okay.. one other issue i'm having is when alt-tabbing in/out of world of warcraft.. before with my old card it was instant (since resolution of desktop and game are same).. now for some reason alt-tabbing back into wow sits at black screen a little whil and when I do get back into the game there's some serious graphics lag (will freeze for a seocnd or two, unfreeze then freeze again). I have to spin around in circles a few times and then its back to being normal.. This happens every time i alt-tab or when reloading the game.. especially most notable in ironforge..

Just doesn't make any sense.. I'm experiencing I would say worse performance than my 7800gtx 512 meg card in wow for some reason..

Also, I just called eVGA and talked to one of their tech support guys. I thought I could be affected by the capacitor problem people were talking about but he assured me none of the eVGA cards with hte problem ever made it to any retailers..

He also said to get a newer "bios" for my video card and that there's one on nvidias website ?? I was checking nvidias website and did not come across any bios'.. He even specifically said drivers AND bios so I know he didn't just mean the driver... Any ideas?

Thanks.

97.02's are super super buggy, they released them in a hurry to have something for the 8800s, wait a few days and I bet a new driver will come out that will be amazing.

roper512 said:
Okay.. one other issue i'm having is when alt-tabbing in/out of world of warcraft.. before with my old card it was instant (since resolution of desktop and game are same).. now for some reason alt-tabbing back into wow sits at black screen a little whil and when I do get back into the game there's some serious graphics lag (will freeze for a seocnd or two, unfreeze then freeze again). I have to spin around in circles a few times and then its back to being normal.. This happens every time i alt-tab or when reloading the game.. especially most notable in ironforge..

Just doesn't make any sense.. I'm experiencing I would say worse performance than my 7800gtx 512 meg card in wow for some reason..

Also, I just called eVGA and talked to one of their tech support guys. I thought I could be affected by the capacitor problem people were talking about but he assured me none of the eVGA cards with hte problem ever made it to any retailers..

He also said to get a newer "bios" for my video card and that there's one on nvidias website ?? I was checking nvidias website and did not come across any bios'.. He even specifically said drivers AND bios so I know he didn't just mean the driver... Any ideas?

Thanks.
Do you have sli? disable it if so.

interesting! instead of tweaking the settings in the contrl panel, i decided to leave the radio button on "let application decide"... wow is running WAY smoother now.. no alt-tab problems anymore, 45fps in crowded IF (I bet 60fps if i had conroe).. now this is much better.. Just guess gotta wait for better drivers for tweaking purposes :)

This is not limited to NV Chipsets for motherboards, I have a DS3 I have the same problem, my GPU will clock down to 2D clocks after playing for some time, I fix it by alt tabbing out of the game and then back in till it happens again!,

not only that I get shitty fps with shaders on maximum no matter what resolution from 800x600 - 1600x1200 where as my friend on an X850XT PE gets better fps with 2x aa 1280x1024 everything maxed :/

Back