8800GTS Vs. 7900GS SLI, Help me justify!

AdamNesvick

2[H]4U
It would be a lil over $100 for me to do this with EVGA's step up program, to go with the 8800 vs the 2 7900's, I am guessing the 8800 would be quite a bit faster but havent found any benchmarks stating such yet. Help me justify blowing my christmas bonus on yet more computer shit :)

yes it would be ALOT better in terms of fps (pretty sure). you also get dx10 and a bunch of new features

Well if an 8800GT beats 7900GTX in SLI... I'm thinking they'll beat 7900GS SLI :)

Though I wish I could afford to find 7900GS SLI to be in need of replacement.

Get one 8800 now. It's comparable to two 7900's in SLI.

At least you'll have the option to add a second 8800 later.

Well the thing is, I already have 1 card, so right there is 216 of the 500, its gonna be close to 200 to get another EVGA 7900GS. so right there its only like an $84 difference.

On further searching, I found it stomping the shit out of a 7950GX2, so yeah, its faster :D

Plus its my Christmas/stop smoking present - I deserve it. ;)

Good decision. This new generation of cards is really amazing, and pretty much mops the floor with all current solutions.

PNY?! you serious? ICK!! I only buy EVGA or Sapphire video cards.

I wouldn't go with any less than the same model of EVGA that I already have so yep, around $400. I'm just wondering how long the step up is gonna be, needs to be about 3 weeks so I can get the money :)

AdamNesvick said:
PNY?! you serious? ICK!! I only buy EVGA or Sapphire video cards.

I wouldn't go with any less than the same model of EVGA that I already have so yep, around $400. I'm just wondering how long the step up is gonna be, needs to be about 3 weeks so I can get the money :)

lol, he says yuck to PNY but says he'll buy from Sapphire. The tech support for Sapphire is just as much shit as PNY. I think Sapphire has 1 guy for their tech support too, cuase I talked to the same guy 3 times. but i guess sapphire's got a little bit more quality than PNY...

Guys, most of the video cards are all manufactured by one company. All the Geforce 8 series cards that are out right now are built by ONE company. They are literally all the same.

As for Sapphire, they manufacturer most of the ATi cards produced today, regardless of brand and packaging.

So it doesn't matter if it is a PNY card, or eVGA for that matter.

Dan_D said:
Guys, most of the video cards are all manufactured by one company. All the Geforce 8 series cards that are out right now are built by ONE company. They are literally all the same.

As for Sapphire, they manufacturer most of the ATi cards produced today, regardless of brand and packaging.

So it doesn't matter if it is a PNY card, or eVGA for that matter.

... until you have a problem and need to deal with customer support. I've never dealt with PNY, but I know from experience that eVGA won't give you the runaround if you need an RMA.

MentatYP said:
... until you have a problem and need to deal with customer support. I've never dealt with PNY, but I know from experience that eVGA won't give you the runaround if you need an RMA.

QFT! In the unlikely event of a water landing...err..in a video card failure, you have to go through the company who branded it! eVGA is one of the best for customer support, but I've had good dealings with both PNY and XFX too. Today's world is extremely customer service oriented, and I think any of the more common companies will treat you right :)

I went from 2 7900gs's to an 8800GTS 640mb last night and noticed around a 20% iincrease. I was hoping for more the upgrade cost me around $130.

Mac

I went from 2 7900gs's to an 8800GTS 640mb last night and noticed around a 20% iincrease. I was hoping for more the upgrade cost me around $130.

Mac

20% for $130 is pretty good I'd say. Rarely can you spend $130 and make your machine perform 20% better in games.

I got a ti 4200 rma'ed a few years (4-5) ago no problems, took a week to get a fixed one back.

I went from two 7900GTs to a 8800GTS 320MB, and I couldn't be happier. It stomps the 7900s.

Also, go with eVGA. They rock.

I bought the 8800GTS while I was waiting for a RMA to return on one of my 7900GTs.

When it came back, I tried to put them (both 7900s) in my 2nd computer, but SLI wouldn't work. I tried everything. Then I realized that they replaced my 7900GT 256MB with a 512MB card. I call them up, and told them the issue. They apologized for sending me an imcompatible card, and told me to send them both in, and they would replaced them with a matched pair of 7900GTOs!

So, I did.

A week later, two boxes arrived at the door.

Inside, were not the promised 7900GTOs. Instead I got 2 7900GTXs!!!

God, I love that company!

/another nod for eVGA here.

There's basically only 2 companies I'd deal w/ @ this point and as noted before it all comes down to warranty and customer service/support as well..

eVGA for me for the way they handled multiple RMAs w/ 7900s for me & MANY others..Even cross-shipped long after they stopped doing that for the 'bad' cards. And they expressly allow overclocking & cooler swaps. One of their board mods (Russian Haxor) is a member here - helps I guess if you don't like cruising the eVGA boards & need help from them.

XFX in close 2nd, since they have the double lifetime, as well as recently updating their warranty terms to cover their stuff much like eVGA. Also, they have a tech support rep that post here fairly often as well.

Alot of people like BFG but they DON'T expressly allow overclocking/cooler swaps - it's a crap shoot with getting a cool rep in case of an RMA with them (assuming they haven't changed their warranty t&c's recently mind you). All the others really aren't in the running IMHO due to substandard warranty terms/lengths (no o/c or swaps, dropped like a hot potato if you mention it and warranties of 1-2 years at most).

[edit] Lol 'justify christmas bonus...' threw me for a loop..Then I noticed this is a resurrection fromthe dead thread :p.

I will toss my hat into EVGA as well. You can overclock, and take the top off watercool and you will not void the warranty (just keep all your original components).

After my latest bit of drama, I really can't see myself going with another company.

Also, I upgraded from a 7800GT in SLI to a single 8800GTS 640, and it absolutely kills my SLI setup. There is no comparison at all.

Good luck man!

Back