Ridge Racer 6 (360) vs Ridge Racer 7 (PS3) Side by side comparison

Blinkme323

[H]ard|Gawd
I think pretty much everyone on here is smart enough to know that the X360 is at least equal to if not more powerful than Sony's hype machine; but hey, here's a little more evidence. I've been hearing a bunch of !!!!!!s sayin how RR7 looks so much better than RR6. Well here's a direct comparison.

mfmfhmfdk1.jpg

vbvmbw4.jpg

fhmfmfkc5.jpg

I'll let you come to your own conclusions, but I found it to look a little better on the 360 in most cases. I don't know what the framerate is like in RR7, but I never noticed a dip below 60fps in RR6 playing at 720p.

I think just about everyone has come to terms with the fact that Xbox360 is at least as powerful as PS3 ... except Sony of course ;p

Assuming these shots are real, thing are going to get really interesting real soon.

I'm not really into racing games, so I haven't been following Ridge Racer 7 much, but what is it natively supposed to be rendered at? 720p or 1080p?

Now that I think about it ... the worst part of these screenshots is that Ridge Racer 7 is identical to Ridge Racer 6 ... I haven't played the series since the PS1 days, but are they really supposed to be that much alike? I can't imagine paying full price for an expansion pack just because they call it a sequel.

The PS3 screenshots seem a bit overly blurry. I wonder if someone took a screenshot and then resized it or something...

yeah, the PS3 shots do look like they've been altered.It looks liek theres some kind of ghosting/double image effect going on, you can especially see it in the game text.

Is there any sort of weather system in this game? If so, it could explain a few things, and maybe that ship will sometimes be there (Xbox 360 shot) or sometimes not (PS3 shot)

Water is obviously missing on the PS3 shots.
What happened to the cruise ship? blur/res or whatever is not going to make an object that big disappear. Lines on the road?

Shame, really. I was looking for this game to be better. Oh well, I still love RR6.

the 360 version seems to have more details...boat, guard rails, so forth.

Looks like they've gone for a slightly different art style this time. Maybe that's intentional, I don't know. I'm sure it will ignite the !!!!!! fires for a little while though. Oh, and in fairness to the PS3, the screenshots are clearly blurry which indicates a screen or camera error to me.

(but yeah, this doesn't explain the lack of graphics detail)

where you find this comparison at? those screenshots cant be equally matched, the ps3 screenshots look like ps2........i say their not equally matched because look at the sharpness of the words...

Untitled-1.jpg

i highly doubt this is a legit comparison of the two...

Yeah... I'll wait till the game is out to see how it compares than trust a couple images. Not that I care though.

It could be the limitations in hardware that makes the 360 version graphically better than the PS3. But isn't there a chance that the software company is at fault?

Just a thought.

(And no I'm not a f4nb0i for either console)

It's likely that they took most of their assets from RR6 and slapped them onto a Blu-Ray disc, did some minor tweaking and shipped it out. Of course, if that's the case, they're not going to get a great deal of improved performance (if any) running that game on the PS3.

It's likely just a port thing.

The original posters Comparison pictures are laughable, for a start it looks like the rr7 pictures were taken of a badly tuned tv (look at the white writing and see how blurred it is!)
Now the pictures taken by mokyumokyu_01 look a lot better, you can tell rr7 is in 1080p for a start, the draw distance and detail of rr7 look way better. BUT i must admit the water detail looks better in the 360 version, maybe they had to cut a few non essential corners in rr7 to maintain 60fps at 1920x1080,
overall i think the PS3 version looks a hell of a lot better, maybe there will be a 1080p patch for the 360 version.

Just reading the IGN playtest of RR7 and supposedly some parts of the game did get reworked for the PS3 version so its not completely identical to RR6, although its still more like RR6.5.

The one interesing quote is "A lot of the courses have stayed the same design-wise, but there are some small tweaks, such as leaves floating in the air, or airplanes and birds hovering overhead. Compared to RR6, the colors seem more vibrant and lighter, giving the game a much better look"

Which does jive with the lighter overall appearance compared to the 360 (aside from the bad focus/exposure on the shots) and you can see in the comparison with the Aviator level theres an obvious change where the cruise ship in the background on the 360 is replaced with a large sailboat closer up in the PS3 game.

I'm sure someone will do a detailed side-by-side comparision (one i can read in english) when we get the game over here.

I may be alone in this thought process, but I think they might've made a good tradeoff for 1080 res. I wouldn't notice those things highlighted in the comparo whizzing by, but the added resolution on a nice set (which I don't have anyway) would be quite noticeable to me, especially at close viewing distance to the screen.

Aside from that, there is something obviously amiss in the PS3 shots post-process-wise :confused:

RR7 is running at 1080p on the PS3 and 720p in RR6. Could just be a case of taking out a few details to keep the framerate up at 1080p. But i doubt it. It just looks like they used a few different shaders and different lighting. Which makes both games seem to vary a lot.

Oh and while RR7 does lose a cruise ship, it GAINS a sail ship. The apparent lack of water is probably just a case of using a different water shader. The guardrail on the bridge is there also only harder to make out due to slightly different lighting.

Actually. I fancy playing RR6 now and seeing what it looks like upscaled to 1080p. :D

Back