Vista Coupon NFG

prominentlecturer

Limp Gawd
So I attempted a search about this on several different websites and came up dry so I thought I'd post about it here..

Received a coupon for Vista Business with my Newegg purchase of an OEM Windows XP SP2 Pro for a new system build.

This morning I tried to do the redemption of the coupon online (at the website listed on the coupon itself) and the website came back with "cannot validate this coupon".

I contacted Newegg and after several minutes they said they couldn't quickly come up with any answers and would have to get back to me.

Can anyone else report success or failure with redeeming the coupon online? I'm 99.999% sure that I can't be the only person who has encountered this, especially with all the questions about how the coupons work on this forum in particular.

as far as I know, Vista is RTM right now and not in stores quite yet. CompUSA however is slated to have it soon I think.

not sure if that helps u.

i also heard that you need to have the receipt of a new computer with those coupons, you should check that out.

AmdBoy said:
as far as I know, Vista is RTM right now and not in stores quite yet. CompUSA however is slated to have it soon I think.

not sure if that helps u.

Understand that Vista is not avail yet. However the coupon is meant to be redeemed upon receipt and then once the software is avail, it shows up on your doorstep.

No response from Newegg yet.

As for the receipt, I am the system builder so, that's easy.

Gatticus said:
Are you required to show receipts for hardware purchased too?
Yes. I just got off the phone about MYcoupon, that came with MCE2005. They said that MCE2005 would be added to the site next Tuesday. Heres the number for the site, 1-800-817-5602 She took my coupon number, and told me to try again on Tuesday. She said that a receipt showing the software, purchased with some signicant hardware, should be submitted with the mailing, after you get the confirmation number.By breaking the seal, you are granted a single system builders license. Read the fine print on the box. I suggest you save the box, because before this is over, the end flap of the box may become involved.We will know more on Tuesday.

What is the definition of "some signicant hardware" which can vary from a single bag of screws to 4-5 components at the same time to qualify ??

I just wanted to let everyone know that I received an email back from the address on the form requesting me to try entering my information on the website again and this time it WORKED. I have a copy of Vista Business on the way. :)

When did you purchase the software pkg? I'm STILL having trouble even after Newegg gave me a new serial# to try. When I use the new number, the shows that the COA number can't be validated. I got a E-Mail from the site today, saying there's a glitch there, and to try again on 11/30. FYI, MCE2005 is now in the list. Keep this thread informed as to wether or not you got your confirmation number.

I purchased from Newegg on 28 October. I have mailed off the form to Microsoft complete with confirmation number and invoice showing my OS purchase. We'll see what happens, I guess.

Last night, the site was real screwy. It got to where it asked for payment, and then it kind of was like someone pushed a back button, and retuned to the first page. After that, it wouldn't verify the coa number. At least you got further than I did.

Sounds like something to stay away from at all costs.

To me, it seems like MS is causing this confusion on purpose so they can ensnare customers and force them to buy both XP and Vista retail. Change something vista doesn't like, and it will flag you as a thieving pirate, invalidate your purchase and force you to either fork out more money for yet another copy, or go through long hours of humiliation on the phone trying to prove you are not. Apparently the billions they make in profit is so hurt by piracy, that they have to play games with their whole customer base in order to make sure that extra $299.99 is added, no matter what the cost...

feh, I'll wait till XP is EOL.

P.S.: I can almost garauntee that MS will make DX10 avail for XP once they realize that their big plans to force everyone to buy Vista aren't working out. It'll be at least 4 years after release before Vista gets enough market saturation to move away from supporting XP.
Some businesses are having a hard time justifying the move from Win2000 to anything else...having already gone through one MS-inspired fiasco, the bean counters tend to be a bit conservative when it comes to buying the latest and greatest bloatware Redmond has kludged together.

just mho.

I just picked up a Gateway Core 2 Duo laptop a few days ago, absolutely phenomenal deal for $999 that won't be beat till Friday, if even then actually.

Anyway, the "coupon" I got for the "free" Express Upgrade to Vista Home Premium says nothing on it about dates, but when I go to Gateway's website to actually go ahead and register for it, I'm told that I'll be able to complete the form and submit it online after December 1st, soooo... that could be a target date for whatever reason for Gateway and other OEMs.

Just my $.02...

phobos512 said:
Understand that Vista is not avail yet. However the coupon is meant to be redeemed upon receipt and then once the software is avail, it shows up on your doorstep.

No response from Newegg yet.

As for the receipt, I am the system builder so, that's easy.
According to MS, the coupon is not for you ,but for the end user, you sell your pc to.I talked at length to MIKE @Microsoft, and he said that a LOT of info that is being provided to us is WRONG.The coupon is to be used by a person who buys a preloaded PC from an AUTHORIZED system builder. HOWEVER, a look at the system builders license attached to the software pkg, seems to conflict with what Mike said. There are others who got quite a different answer from MS, as to wether or not the PC purchase is required. If MS stands up to the coupon, there's going to be a LOT of disgruntled people, when they get an E-Mail or letter, saying that thier coupon didn't contain the proper items, such as the receipt for the PC. I don't really care, because I needed an OS anyway, but bought the PKG to see if what EVERY vendor, not only Newegg is true, and NOT DECEPTIVE advertisement. Newegg has been very co-operative, but so far, theres no joy in Muddville. If this coupon of mine continues to be called INVALID, It will most likely take a new software pkg, or at least a new coupon and coa to be able to redeem it. Newegg is ready to take the PKG back, but I really don't want to uninstall it and send it back. At this point, I'd say that MS is to blame. A look at the Clubit ad, still shows referrals to your "new pc" Look up Tech Express at the MS website, and theres that "new pc " springing up again.

Back